I still believe in Fields

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Fields has all the talent in the world, more so than any bears qb I can remember besides maybe cutler.

He simply isn’t seeing the game well right now. He is definitely holding the ball way too long, he’s forcing it, he’s not making throws he should. Today was really bad, worse than I think trubisky looked at times.

Not giving up on him, but there are 0 excuses today. He played like shit. Looks like a bust.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I'm concerned. I'm a bit more concerned about how Fields is being handled, than Fields himself. I'm still waiting for the game where we run some easy, quick passes to get him confidence early on.

Good observation.

I mean he completes his first pass. Had his second batted down which was a short one. Had a huge run on the first drive. How much fucking confidence does he need? I honestly have no idea how much spoon feeding you guys think he needs? He’s just making horrific decisions. Getsy can’t do it for him.

This group (albeit an inexperienced OC & Qb coach) was hired to develop JF. They were hired to craft an offense around JF. Thus far I haven't seen that. Thus far I'm seeing them put JF in the shotgun way to often. Stop using the shotgun so much, that's one thing..... "Getsy can’t do for him."

Last edited:

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears have had worse. Hope he figures it out. He has the talent.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Agreed....the whole coaching staff and players..... "needs to improve immensely moving forward."
Everyone is accountable. Side note: it was gutless to not use those time outs at the end of the half and try to get into scoring range. I mean just do it and let the chips fall where they may.
I agree about the timeouts before half - that was ridiculous.

For sure.....
But I'll chalk that up to an inexperienced coaching. Maybe next time?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
This is the exact scenario I worried about when Poles spent the entire off-season ignoring the offensive side of the ball. You put a young quarterback, who already struggled in year 1, in an impossible situation in year 2 by making him play with what looks to be maybe the least talented collection of offensive players in the league.

The Bears have created the worst possible situation for themselves. They've made it next to impossible for Fields to excel, but by doing so, they've also purposefully made it more difficult for themselves to properly evaluate him. I wish they would have taken a more aggressive stance on bolstering their offense with great players like Miami did, because at least then you give Fields no excuse if he fails. If Tua is bad, you can at least know with a high degree of certainty, that it's because the quarterback sucks.

They had an opportunity to give away a meaningless low round draft pick for Amari Cooper, and they passed. He just put up back to back 100 yard receiving games with Jacoby freaking Brissett playing quarterback. You think he wouldn't have helped here?

Right now, we think Fields sucks, but because the talent is so bad, we can't know for sure how much of it is really on Fields, and how much of his failures are about what he has around him.

Good points. (y) We also have to evaluate Getsy and his role in all this.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
I am not sure if I follow the logic in where 1) Our pass blocking is so awful and we have no offensive weapons so therefore in order to help our young QB develop we should 2) call substantially more pass plays. I don't think that would bring about favorable results in keeping a developing young quarterback upright and on the field in order to evaluate. That suggestion would most likely do the opposite in probably getting Fields hurt sooner than later.

Improvements need to be made from playcalling to the play on the field - I think we could all agree on that. I certainly am not going to write Fields off at this point.
I fully agree that passing more with this offensive line leaves Fields open to get hurt sooner or later, 100% agree.

My reasoning for wanting more pass plays is simply he needs the in-game reps, his line needs the in-game reps and his receivers need the in-game reps regardless of the outcome. I don't feel like you can find out what you've truly got with your 1st rd pick QB if you're running the ball significantly more than any other team in the league is but that's just my 2 cents.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Fields has all the talent in the world, more so than any bears qb I can remember besides maybe cutler.

He simply isn’t seeing the game well right now. He is definitely holding the ball way too long, he’s forcing it, he’s not making throws he should. Today was really bad, worse than I think trubisky looked at times.

Not giving up on him, but there are 0 excuses today. He played like shit. Looks like a bust.
I can't disagree.

But I also don't think it's out of the realm of possibility of a switch to flip.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
As of right now.........

Me to J.Fields, most of the OL, Poles for making us go through this and L.Getsy..........................
BJ7A.gif

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I fully agree that passing more with this offensive line leaves Fields open to get hurt sooner or later, 100% agree.

My reasoning for wanting more pass plays is simply he needs the in-game reps, his line needs the in-game reps and his receivers need the in-game reps regardless of the outcome. I don't feel like you can find out what you've truly got with your 1st rd pick QB if you're running the ball significantly more than any other team in the league is but that's just my 2 cents.

So I like the idea of him passing the ball(y). I just think we need to chose that right pass plays i.e. slants, hooks etc.
We can't have those long developing routes. We can't have the OL in pass pro to long, cause they can't control the
edge rushers.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
So I like the idea of him passing the ball(y). I just think we need to chose that right pass plays i.e. slants, hooks etc.
We can't have those long developing routes. We can't have the OL in pass pro to long, cause they can't control the
edge rushers.
Just fyi espn analytics had the Bears as the best pass blocking OL by far though the first two weeks, based on holding blocks for 2.5 seconds.

I wouldn't go that far by any means, but they aren't a terrible pass blocking team. Borom was terrible today I will give you that.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Good observation.

This group (albeit an inexperienced OC & Qb coach) was hired to develop JF. They were hired to craft an offense around JF. Thus far I haven't seen that. Thus far I'm seeing them put JF in the shotgun way to often. Stop using the shotgun so much, that's one thing..... "Getsy can’t do for him."

Tired of the incessant whining about the coaching and play calling. Just lazy excuses for people too emotionally invested.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Just fyi espn analytics had the Bears as the best pass blocking OL by far though the first two weeks, based on holding blocks for 2.5 seconds.

I wouldn't go that far by any means, but they aren't a terrible pass blocking team. Borom was terrible today I will give you that.
i thought borom would work out but he must be the reason they claimed mono boy

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Good observation.

Tired of the incessant whining about the coaching and play calling. Just lazy excuses for people too emotionally invested.

I'm tired of all the "Fields has got to do it NOW talk". "If I don't see improvement by game 6......bench him"
"Fields has until the end of this season, If he's not doing this or that, then we need to draft a Qb in the 1st round"

Heck, I've even heard>>>>"If he had HOF potential, we'd have seen it by now" o_O ?

coaching and play calling.
LOL...Since when is holding all parties accountable "whining"?

Rise

Liked Posts:
But Trubisky looked better in year 2.

Yeah Trubisky was also given a true #1 WR, a 2nd round WR, plus additional FAs in the off-season of that 2nd year.

What did the new genius in town do for Fields?

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Yeah Trubisky was also given a true #1 WR, a 2nd round WR, plus additional FAs in the off-season of that 2nd year.

What did the new genius in town do for Fields?
Burton was really underrated before the whole Philly Special thing in the playoffs

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:

AWS Next-Gen stats said the same thing, but guys are ignoring it or are in denial. I think they see pressure a few times and assume the pass blocking is bad....but all QBs get pressured throughout the game. (Although Mills seemed to have all day.)

Last edited: