Do you give Fields entire year if he does not improve?

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
By your logic the Bills should have a different QB
I love when there's one outlier, people act like it's the norm. There's a reason I included the qualifier "generally."

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
Uh, yes, You give him every last game he can suit up. This year is about finding out if he can fix his shit and be the guy or not.

Just a reminder to the meatballs, IT'S NOT ABOUT WINNING THIS YEAR.

I seriously thought everyone got the memo in the offseason when they didn't bother to get any bug talent and went all Moneyball. This was always meant to be a lost season.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
By your logic the Bills should have a different QB
Allen had a pretty big statistical jump from year one to year 2 .. and if Fields was producing comparable year 2 numbers to Allens year 2 numbers then we wouldnt be having this conversation..

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I would have said yes going into this year. But he is playing so bad that eventually you have to evaluate the other players. It’s not fair to them.

If it was me, I give him maybe to week 6.

100% I still do.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
How much longer will Mooney remain quite?

Nagy had a better offense.
Remain quite what? Quite unhappy he continues to drop passes? Quite angry he and Justin can't get on the same page? Quite bother the coaches are calling to many run plays?

Did you maybe mean Quiet?

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Tua and Jalen Hurts both look vastly improved after a couple years and with real weapons.

Some fans here would have benched both and ruined their careers before they started.
Year 2 Tua had 67.8% 16TD 10INT 90QBR
Year 2 Hurts 61.3% 16TD 9INT 87.2QBR

Fields year 2 so far has 51% 2TD 4INT and a 49.9QBR

There is no comparison so far here. Fields really needs to start playing better

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Year 2 Tua had 67.8% 16TD 10INT 90QBR
Year 2 Hurts 61.3% 16TD 9INT 87.2QBR

Fields year 2 so far has 51% 2TD 4INT and a 49.9QBR

There is no comparison so far here. Fields really needs to start playing better
Of course he has to play better. We're not arguing whether his play has been good enough. It clearly has not.
The discussion is whether he should get more time.

Fields is in Game 3 of Year 2.

And the point is not that Fields' numbers are better.

The point simply was that these two QBs vastly improved when given time to improve, and when given weapons. Where were they after start #13?

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Not sure what the point would be putting in another QB in if Fields is healthy

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
We're 2-1, that's not on the table yet.
I think that’s why it just might be on the table. I stated in a different thread that even though I’m sure this staff let George know that this might be a rough year, I’m sure they, the staff, want to win as it impacts not only their current jobs, but any potential future jobs they might want to go for.

So in my opinion, if this team is winning by week 8 or 9 in spite of Fields, and Fields continues to look like he has, then I’d be shocked if they did not bench him.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Yes. The Bears gain nothing by playing Trevor Simien or Nathan Peterman. They are not part of the future. This season is entirely about Justin Fields development, for better or for worse. You play him in every game he's healthy enough to play in, and then reevaluate his future in the off-season.

I think most young quarterbacks get at least 2.5 years to prove themselves unless the 2nd year is a colossal failure. If Justin Fields plays the rest of the season like he did today and last week, that would be enough for me to say no thanks to next season and hello to drafting a new quarterback with their first pick. I pray it doesn't have to come to that.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Of course he has to play better. We're not arguing whether his play has been good enough. It clearly has not.
The discussion is whether he should get more time.

Fields is in Game 3 of Year 2.

And the point is not that Fields' numbers are better.

The point simply was that these two QBs vastly improved when given time to improve, and when given weapons. Where were they after start #13?
Fields started 10 games in year 1
Tua started 9 games in year 1
Hurts started 4 games in year 1

There is no point in trying to argue this away.. it is what it is.. If he doesnt make a HUGE improvement real fast I would expect him to be benched and rightfully so..

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
I think that’s why it just might be on the table. I stated in a different thread that even though I’m sure this staff let George know that this might be a rough year, I’m sure they, the staff, want to win as it impacts not only their current jobs, but any potential future jobs they might want to go for.

So in my opinion, if this team is winning by week 8 or 9 in spite of Fields, and Fields continues to look like he has, then I’d be shocked if they did not bench him.
That does make sense. But I don't know if Trevor Semens is a clear upgrade.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Fields should and will get the whole year. What are you really going to do? Put Trevor Simien or Nate Peterman in there?

mecha

Liked Posts:
Not sure what the point would be putting in another QB in if Fields is healthy
I choose this post to reply to. because I don't think any team that's ever done this had success with benching their starting quarterback in favor of the backup because they played poorly in games. ok, well maybe one exception, benching Grossman in 2007 yielded Brian Griese and Kyle Orton's combined powers to sweep the Packers, but that didn't do anything to help Grossman is my point. benching Fields isn't going to fix the core issue.

I didn't watch the game today, 18 pass attempts though it looks like the governor on him is still active.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Fields started 10 games in year 1
Tua started 9 games in year 1
Hurts started 4 games in year 1

There is no point in trying to argue this away.. it is what it is.. If he doesnt make a HUGE improvement real fast I would expect him to be benched and rightfully so..
Yes because 5-12 with semien is somehow better than 5-12 with Fields. Bad is bad but you have to see for certain that Fields isn't it. Semien obviously isn't part of the future. He only plays if Fields is hurt