Getsy should not be getting a pass… and the Oline is not very good at pass protection

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
These are two perfect pockets and he missed the receiver running down the sideline on both of them for what could have possibly been long scores. He has to get better.

Sorry, hate sports mockery but he has the videos imbedded.
PassPro on those two plays were stellar. He just was 'cursed' into trying to throw down the seam into triple coverage instead of looking 5-20 degrees to the left at what should be his alternate throws. He had tunnel vision on those two plays.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Can we stop with the stupid hyperbole?

He had some bad throws yes. There are some things to be concerned about yes.

But let's not pretend and ignore the next gen stats from last year and thus far this year, that say Fields is the most hit quarterback in the NFL and also say he is given the least amount of time to throw in the NFL.

Neither of those things are Fields fault.

Mustipher keeps giving up the middle so Fields can't step up in the pocket, our tackles are struggling mightily in pass pro, and Fields is running around like he's seeing ghosts from all the battering he's getting.

I'm not hanging this completely on the kid. Not excusing the things he's doing wrong either but I'm not going to manufacture bullshit either just to engage in Bears induced confirmation bias of another bad quarterback.

I prefer to actually look at things fairly.
This and your previous comment on the relative talent level of this team are pretty much on as far as I can tell. The plays called are those that will minimize the amount that Fields gets hit, while giving quality playing experience and keeping games winnable. Is it pretty? No. But right now we have a team full of guys who can expect competition for their jobs next year.

This is a rebuild from the bottom up with an intriguing QB prospect. We have a few pieces that keep this team in a close game, and just shed as much money as they could in a single year. Fields, Getsy, the OL and WR group are going to be judged at the end of the year based on progress over the next few months.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
This and your previous comment on the relative talent level of this team are pretty much on as far as I can tell. The plays called are those that will minimize the amount that Fields gets hit, while giving quality playing experience and keeping games winnable. Is it pretty? No. But right now we have a team full of guys who can expect competition for their jobs next year.

This is a rebuild from the bottom up with an intriguing QB prospect. We have a few pieces that keep this team in a close game, and just shed as much money as they could in a single year. Fields, Getsy, the OL and WR group are going to be judged at the end of the year based on progress over the next few months.

I'm just laughing to myself imagining the meltdowns people are going to have if Fields looks like this all year, the media has dumb fans convinced the Bears don't trust Fields and are therefore going to draft a quarterback, only for the Bears to draft a left tackle in round 1.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
The play calling was nagyesque. Running it on third and 6 and doing a screen on third and long. WTF?

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I think Getsy has been terrible. But I can think Getsy has been bad, Fields has been bad, Kmet has been bad, our 2 tackles have been bad, etc.

I think we have to come to terms with what we have right now, and cross our fingers until they hurt that things will get better. Lol.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Trying to blame others is just a lame attempt to deflect and excuse Fields poor play. How can you assess anybody else when your quarterback looks this terrible? Almost every time he drops back he ruins the drive. The only saving grace is that he occasionally breaks one running. Even that has huge downsides though too. Because he’s always getting hit trying to scramble and he constantly fumbles. And half the time it seems like he somehow doesn’t even see the guy and gets creamed. Like he has no awareness of what’s happening around him.

What is Getsy supposed to do? All he does is kill drives. They’re trying to win games. it’s painfully obvious he will lose the game for you if you put it in his hand. Lol at the coaches doing that. Like it even freaking matters if you get him extra reps or whatever nonsense you guys have come up with now. It doesn’t even matter if you gave him more throws. Because then you’d just be like “everybody else sucks so we can’t really grade him, we need another year.” So what’s the point anyway?

He does get opportunities. Every game. And he fails miserably almost every time. But the coaches are just supposed to throw away games so you can feel better about the sample size of throws he was given.

Last edited:

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
Can we stop with the stupid hyperbole?

He had some bad throws yes. There are some things to be concerned about yes.

But let's not pretend and ignore the next gen stats from last year and thus far this year, that say Fields is the most hit quarterback in the NFL and also say he is given the least amount of time to throw in the NFL.

Neither of those things are Fields fault.

Mustipher keeps giving up the middle so Fields can't step up in the pocket, our tackles are struggling mightily in pass pro, and Fields is running around like he's seeing ghosts from all the battering he's getting.

I'm not hanging this completely on the kid. Not excusing the things he's doing wrong either but I'm not going to manufacture bullshit either just to engage in Bears induced confirmation bias of another bad quarterback.

I prefer to actually look at things fairly.
I also prefer the "look at things fairly" approach and I think it is a fair assessment to say that Justin Fields has played like shit in every game this season without blaming everyone else from the playcaller to the type of Gatorade being provided on the sideline for his struggles.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trying to blame others is just a lame attempt to deflect and excuse Fields poor play. How can you assess anybody else when your quarterback looks this terrible? Almost every time he drops back he ruins the drive. The only saving grace is that he occasionally breaks one running. Even that has huge downsides though too. Because he’s always getting hit trying to scramble and he constantly fumbles. And half the time it seems like he somehow doesn’t even see the guy and gets creamed. Like he has no awareness of what’s happening around him.

What is Getsy supposed to do? All he does is kill drives. They’re trying to win games. it’s painfully obvious he will lose the game for you if you put it in his hand. Lol at the coaches doing that. Like it even freaking matters if you get him extra reps or whatever nonsense you guys have come up with now. It doesn’t even matter if you gave him more throws. Because then you’d just be like “everybody else sucks so we can’t really grade him, we need another year.” So what’s the point anyway?

He does get opportunities. Every game. And he fails miserably almost every time. But the coaches are just supposed to throw away games so you can fell better about the sample size of throws he was given.

Also add to that, probably the #1 way to help and make it easier for a QB is to have a good running game. The Bears running game has not been good the last 2 games, it has been phenomenal. But it hasn't helped.

It reminds me of the sequence of 5 games towards the end of 2020 when the Bears averaged over 30 a game with a killer running game. The only thing missing is the QB is not participating.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Getsy has shown his inexperience as a play caller and is not calling a game that helps Fields to get into a rhythm. It could be due to the fact that the Oline is not very good at pass protection. Either way, there is plenty of blame to go around — including Fields himself, who clearly has to play better.
How is Fields supposed to get in a rhythm when he just misses shit? Stop blaming Getsy and watch the damn game. Fields was 80% of what went wrong yesterday.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Also add to that, probably the #1 way to help and make it easier for a QB is to have a good running game. The Bears running game has not been good the last 2 games, it has been phenomenal. But it hasn't helped.

It reminds me of the sequence of 5 games towards the end of 2020 when the Bears averaged over 30 a game with a killer running game. The only thing missing is the QB is not participating.
Allot of us thought this way also in 2020-2021. That’s where foles and dalton came into the picture right? Diff qbs same results. Sorry but the answers aren’t as simple as we would like them to be. What happens when the qb changes and it’s same results like 20-21?

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I also prefer the "look at things fairly" approach and I think it is a fair assessment to say that Justin Fields has played like shit in every game this season without blaming everyone else from the playcaller to the type of Gatorade being provided on the sideline for his struggles.

Then you aren't looking at things fairly and are only claiming such to win a pissing contest.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Then you aren't looking at things fairly and are only claiming such to win a pissing contest.
Not everyone who disagrees with you is trying to win a 'pissing contest'. Most often, you are just pissing on yourself

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Getsy has shown his inexperience as a play caller and is not calling a game that helps Fields to get into a rhythm. It could be due to the fact that the Oline is not very good at pass protection. Either way, there is plenty of blame to go around — including Fields himself, who clearly has to play better.

I will say if the Oline can’t pass protect well and the QB can’t throw with accuracy/anticipation or read the defense. Even the best OC in the NFL will be handcuffed and won’t look good. Not saying Getsy is a good OC but with this group he is at a disadvantage. This falls at the feet of the previous regime and also the Bears culture. Once the Bears organization can evaluate offensive talent and they fully commit to focusing on stacking talent on offense (will see but, I won’t believe it until I see it). We will then see an OC that suddenly looks like a good play caller. People keep using the rebuild excuse but even those bad Lions & Jags teams (throughout the years) didn’t have offensive players this bad. This is 1930s historically bad.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
100%. Not using any no huddle, short slants, rollouts. He’s continuously putting Fields in obvious passing plays

Trevor Lawrence last 9 games of last year: 35, 26, 54, 41, 33, 25, 34, 33, 51. Those were his passing attempts. You can see this year he got the reps in. Its not until the Bears run it their 35th time of the game and get stuffed, that 3rd and long Fields is attempting his third pass of the game

If we’re ‘evaluating’ Fields you also need to look at the oc getting 100s of yard less than Nagy got out of Fields last year. Bill Lazor was calling better game scripts for Fields than Getsy
So you'd like the the same O Lawrence was in last year?
:speechless:

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Braxton Jones story was nice but is he playing well? Is the answer moving forward?

What about Borom? Great at run blocking but is that a scheme thing or his success or even the by product of having Jenkins and Patrick next to him.

Again, the swapping of Jenkins is asinine!

We need Patrick at center asap and leave Jenkins alone- also- what worries me is the regime didn’t notice or do what all of this board has been clamoring for since beginning of training camp?

Fields has stunk to high heaven that’s for sure- it’s the bears story- they do everything ass backwards!

Would much prefer a line that can pass block well and be number two in passing but we are number two in running and shit at pass pro!

I know it’s not apples to apples but hurts has the best line in football and a ton of talent at wr!

But Fields has been terrible for sure! He’s not seeing wide open guys and when he does he misses them or he’s throwing into triple coverage.

J2hotnspicyy

Liked Posts:
So you'd like the the same O Lawrence was in last year?
:speechless:

No but throwing the ball, reps matter. It's a conflict with the coaches wanting to win, and ignoring the most important position, the quarterback. This is where Eberflus' naive purist philosophy gets in the way. "There are 22 players, 22 jobs to do. No one more important than the other-" and blah blah. The QB position will always be most important in modern NFL. Hiding that player will only leave you snakebitten later, when you're Super Bowl ready sans one important player (06 Bears anyone?)

This comes down to George McCaskey laying out his vision when he's hiring the new GM and head coach. If your most valuable asset is Fields, you tell your GM and coach "I don't care about winning right now, we need to make sure to get QB right", and find a coach to develop him. Otherwise wins are how Poles and Eberflus are evaluated, and they have an incentive in conflict with Justin Fields development (or any other QB's) . We went through this last year with Nagy resistant to starting Fields to begin the year, because it was a make or break year for him in the W-L column. Somehow the owner, gm, coach, and Fields have got to get on the same page, which is get with modern football and develop a Quarterback.

If you aren't able to, it's better to lose big trying, and get a very high draft pick until they come around. And if they never come around, use that high pick to get a QB.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No but throwing the ball, reps matter. It's a conflict with the coaches wanting to win, and ignoring the most important position, the quarterback. This is where Eberflus' naive purist philosophy gets in the way. "There are 22 players, 22 jobs to do. No one more important than the other-" and blah blah. The QB position will always be most important in modern NFL. Hiding that player will only leave you snakebitten later, when you're Super Bowl ready sans one important player (06 Bears anyone?)

This comes down to George McCaskey laying out his vision when he's hiring the new GM and head coach. If your most valuable asset is Fields, you tell your GM and coach "I don't care about winning right now, we need to make sure to get QB right", and find a coach to develop him. Otherwise wins are how Poles and Eberflus are evaluated, and they have an incentive in conflict with Justin Fields development (or any other QB's) . We went through this last year with Nagy resistant to starting Fields to begin the year, because it was a make or break year for him in the W-L column. Somehow the owner, gm, coach, and Fields have got to get on the same page, which is get with modern football and develop a Quarterback.

If you aren't able to, it's better to lose big trying, and get a very high draft pick until they come around. And if they never come around, use that high pick to get a QB.
What's happening on the field and with Fields is not mutually exclusive. They're calling plays with near 50% pass ratio. If you think that other 5% will make or break him, you're delusional. He's not getting more throws because he's not moving the chains as often as he should.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Braxton Jones story was nice but is he playing well? Is the answer moving forward?

What about Borom? Great at run blocking but is that a scheme thing or his success or even the by product of having Jenkins and Patrick next to him.

Again, the swapping of Jenkins is asinine!

We need Patrick at center asap and leave Jenkins alone- also- what worries me is the regime didn’t notice or do what all of this board has been clamoring for since beginning of training camp?

Fields has stunk to high heaven that’s for sure- it’s the bears story- they do everything ass backwards!

Would much prefer a line that can pass block well and be number two in passing but we are number two in running and shit at pass pro!

I know it’s not apples to apples but hurts has the best line in football and a ton of talent at wr!

But Fields has been terrible for sure! He’s not seeing wide open guys and when he does he misses them or he’s throwing into triple coverage.

Jones and Borom both got crushed this past game versus the Texans in pass protection.

It's laughable that people are so stupid that they think because the Bears ran the ball well that means both players were great.

Run blocking and pass blocking are completely different.

J2hotnspicyy

Liked Posts:
What's happening on the field and with Fields is not mutually exclusive. They're calling plays with near 50% pass ratio. If you think that other 5% will make or break him, you're delusional. He's not getting more throws because he's not moving the chains as often as he should.

Ah false. 62 plays run by the Bears this week, 17 pass attempts. Several sacks in there, JF run. But no Packers was a split this week wasn't

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ah false. 62 plays run by the Bears this week, 17 pass attempts. Several sacks in there, JF run. But no Packers was a split this week wasn't
I just checked the Box score. If you count scrambles and sacks as pass attempts vs handoffs and exclude the final drive where they ran clock before the FG, Getsy called 28 passes and 27 runs. 13 plays were Fields scrambles or sacks that count as runs. One of those scrambles may have been a called QB run so you can swap that over but it's not the attempts that's creating this inequality.

If they were behind and on the wrong side of the field, that last drive would have been all passes instead of all runs.

You also don't force your QB to lose a game for you on a bad day when he can at least walk away with a win and not carry the weight of the world on his shoulders for another week.

Last edited: