The official “we’re taking the year off in style” tank thread

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Will they? Their D and G is suspect. This is hockey, not basketball or football where having 1 or 2 superstars can guarantee a title. If that was the case Pittsburgh would have won much more with Crosby and Malkin and Ovi/Backstrom would have won more than 1 title with Washington. You need a complete team to win.
Allocating 25% of a team's cap to two players is without a doubt a challenge to any GM and it demands the remaining 60M is allocated properly.
The team was still payin' Kane,JT,Seabs,CC and Keith over 39M back in the summer of '19' yet a failed GM STILL had 20 million and a bunch of assets to squander......how do you NOT improve your team spending 20M and a bunch of assets? Had enough space to get MAF and give the bank to Jones too.

I know that's just a lotta water under a low bridge now but that remaining space after paying your stars HAS to be used properly. The Canes made the ECF a few years back with a total payroll of 65M. It seems to me that the Oil get a LOT from the 21M they pay McD and Drai .............do they get enough from the remaining 61M of cap space is their problem IMO.

Sid and Geno won three and both have missed time with serious injuries along the way,Ovi/Backstrom shoulda won more or at least reached more finals........how a franchise boots their cup winning HC the following summer,I'll nevr know!

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don’t know why they are too stupid to fix their goalie situation.

If they have any competence whatsoever they can reboot some new looks around Drai and McDavid.

Start by building a personal line for both of them except when they are different.

Scratch that, start by hiring Q. Q will come and save them.
Well, how many 1OA picks did they squander? Says a lot about the Oil organization.

The biggest issue I see with them is that FA talent is expensive and trades don't always work out. Sometimes you get Panarin. Somtimes you get Saad. A critical mass of talent has to be homegrown and that needs to be more than just McJesus and Drai. Top tier defense is expensive, and even as the 'hawks proved post 2015, the wrong depth pieces gets you nowhere irrespective of top talent.

Being where the Oil is, A top-tier goalie won't be enough. They need D as well, and you're talking 3-4 pieces all over 5M each--possibly closer to 9M for their top 2.

The cheapest way is to develop, and if the Oil continue to get into the playoffs abd get bounced it'll be harder for them to get the talent to homegrow.
Allocating 25% of a team's cap to two players is without a doubt a challenge to any GM and it demands the remaining 60M is allocated properly.
The team was still payin' Kane,JT,Seabs,CC and Keith over 39M back in the summer of '19' yet a failed GM STILL had 20 million and a bunch of assets to squander......how do you NOT improve your team spending 20M and a bunch of assets? Had enough space to get MAF and give the bank to Jones too.

I know that's just a lotta water under a low bridge now but that remaining space after paying your stars HAS to be used properly. The Canes made the ECF a few years back with a total payroll of 65M. It seems to me that the Oil get a LOT from the 21M they pay McD and Drai .............do they get enough from the remaining 61M of cap space is their problem IMO.

Sid and Geno won three and both have missed time with serious injuries along the way,Ovi/Backstrom shoulda won more or at least reached more finals........how a franchise boots their cup winning HC the following summer,I'll nevr know!
Exactly, Stan fukkored the team up good.

Sid and Geno have 3...with a LONG gap between the 1st and 2nd. Not all of that was injury, they did have some depth issues as well which they navigated better than Bowman. A lot of Ovi's time was also the Ovi show...

Meanwhile, how many players in our runs can we look to which had a significant contribution?

Toews, Kane, Keith, and Seabrook, obviously. Ditto with Crawford, Hjammer, Sharp, and Hossa. You can also add Campbell, Saad, Niemi, Bickell, Buff, Darling and Oduya to that list. Right there is over half the lineup of guys doing more than being passengers, and in many cases a lot of them were playing well above their cap hits...even nicing out Keith and Hossa's tecapture deals.

My point was that the oil right now seem more like late 2000's eay 2010's caps: all their eggs are in the McDraisaitl basket (like the Ovi basket).

They say the Hockey Grail is the hardest trophy to win. I think a lot of that is because it takes a team. If it took a superstar, Ovi would have more. If you could buy it, tge Rags would have had more before the 2005 lockout.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Well, how many 1OA picks did they squander? Says a lot about the Oil organization.

The biggest issue I see with them is that FA talent is expensive and trades don't always work out. Sometimes you get Panarin. Somtimes you get Saad. A critical mass of talent has to be homegrown and that needs to be more than just McJesus and Drai. Top tier defense is expensive, and even as the 'hawks proved post 2015, the wrong depth pieces gets you nowhere irrespective of top talent.

Being where the Oil is, A top-tier goalie won't be enough. They need D as well, and you're talking 3-4 pieces all over 5M each--possibly closer to 9M for their top 2.

The cheapest way is to develop, and if the Oil continue to get into the playoffs abd get bounced it'll be harder for them to get the talent to homegrow.

Exactly, Stan fukkored the team up good.

Sid and Geno have 3...with a LONG gap between the 1st and 2nd. Not all of that was injury, they did have some depth issues as well which they navigated better than Bowman. A lot of Ovi's time was also the Ovi show...

Meanwhile, how many players in our runs can we look to which had a significant contribution?

Toews, Kane, Keith, and Seabrook, obviously. Ditto with Crawford, Hjammer, Sharp, and Hossa. You can also add Campbell, Saad, Niemi, Bickell, Buff, Darling and Oduya to that list. Right there is over half the lineup of guys doing more than being passengers, and in many cases a lot of them were playing well above their cap hits...even nicing out Keith and Hossa's tecapture deals.

My point was that the oil right now seem more like late 2000's eay 2010's caps: all their eggs are in the McDraisaitl basket (like the Ovi basket).

They say the Hockey Grail is the hardest trophy to win. I think a lot of that is because it takes a team. If it took a superstar, Ovi would have more. If you could buy it, tge Rags would have had more before the 2005 lockout.
This is 100% what I’m saying.

If the Oilers had a top pairing guy along with the two, we wouldn’t be having this conversation right now because they would be on the cusp of a dynasty. Your not winning cups without either a guy who scares the crap out of coaches (Makar) or somebody so well rounded they can dominate a game themselves (Hedman, Keith in his prime).

McDavid is great, but he’s winning scoring titles. I sure as shit ain’t paying somebody to mop up at the awards show when the Cup is getting handed off to some guys drunk uncle in his underwear on another team.

Teams are already playing the “well, McDavid is going to get a couple on us, but with that defense and black hole goalie we’re sure to get three” approach because it works every single time.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Game two-

Korchinski again looks like an elite prospect offensively. He got pinned in a couple times in his own zone and he really needs a tougher player as a partner. The thing I see is he’s three moves ahead of the other team. I really like this kid. A lot. He might not be that far from the NHL.

Nolan Allen looks like Seabrook. That was his comp on draft day and I swear I thought Seabs hit the fountain of youth. He plays tough and finishes his checks. Good solid game.

I like Regula and Phillips. Future third pairing isn’t out the question.

The thing I liked about this group was they didn’t over play pucks in their own zone and were pretty much a box. They’re all big, they stood their ground of the most part and let the speed of the forwards do all the work. That might work. Speed up front and big lumbering defense? Why not?

Reichel is going to be a 25 goal guy in the bigs. Fast. Smart. Could he replace Cats 40? Probably not. He doesn’t have that wrist shot one timer hammer cat does. Honestly I think his floor is Frolik.

My horrible opinion? They luck into Bedard, resign Kane and Toews, bring all the youths up and go all in with a couple free agent ads.

I hope I’m wrong. I hope they develop these kids.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fuck development. Let em learn on the fly like other elite prospects around the league today. It’s not 1988.

Nothing doing yet, but next round of cuts…(4 fwds, 5 D, 2 goalies) gonna be mighty interesting.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Game two-

Korchinski again looks like an elite prospect offensively. He got pinned in a couple times in his own zone and he really needs a tougher player as a partner. The thing I see is he’s three moves ahead of the other team. I really like this kid. A lot. He might not be that far from the NHL.

Nolan Allen looks like Seabrook. That was his comp on draft day and I swear I thought Seabs hit the fountain of youth. He plays tough and finishes his checks. Good solid game.

I like Regula and Phillips. Future third pairing isn’t out the question.

The thing I liked about this group was they didn’t over play pucks in their own zone and were pretty much a box. They’re all big, they stood their ground of the most part and let the speed of the forwards do all the work. That might work. Speed up front and big lumbering defense? Why not?

Reichel is going to be a 25 goal guy in the bigs. Fast. Smart. Could he replace Cats 40? Probably not. He doesn’t have that wrist shot one timer hammer cat does. Honestly I think his floor is Frolik.

My horrible opinion? They luck into Bedard, resign Kane and Toews, bring all the youths up and go all in with a couple free agent ads.

I hope I’m wrong. I hope they develop these kids.
Reichel will be a very good 2 way guy also

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Fuck development. Let em learn on the fly like other elite prospects around the league today. It’s not 1988.

Nothing doing yet, but next round of cuts…(4 fwds, 5 D, 2 goalies) gonna be mighty interesting.

You mean like how Dach turned out: a Sub-40% at the dot center with 19 goals in 152 games?

KBIB

Liked Posts:

Like Dach who could have been a diamond if he had one more year in juniors to polish off his shot and faceoffs?

Or Bustvist who could have been a good one if he had another year in Europe?

Fuck that. Blowman put this org into a fucking gas chamber with all the bullshit he did to fuck up young players I’m not about that life.

If KD is getting rid of everything Blowman touched, so be it. With the state of the depth of the defenseman the hawks have in the pipeline, this team might not be a seven year rebuild as many, including me, predicted.

Reichel, Nazar, Korchinski, Seth, Bedard (plz god) and Commesso is a damn fine core to go along with a bunch of big, tough young kids on the back end. You can see what KD is doing- speed everywhere and attack every shift. I like the future of this team the way it looks.

Let these kids marinate

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You mean like how Dach turned out: a Sub-40% at the dot center with 19 goals in 152 games?

Everyone knew Zegras had skills but Stan reached for the body.

Dach 2.0 might end up paying dividends because unlike his brother he can actually shoot. So much so I think they should just let that kid play too and put him across from Kane.

Btw…Dach broke his wrist in the world juniors and got concussed in the prospect game against Wild.

So sheltering players against amateurs doesn’t always work out.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Right…if only Boqvist had gone to Europe for a year he’d be the man.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Right…if only Boqvist had gone to Europe for a year he’d be the man.
Did you follow Bustvist leading up to the draft?

I did. The kid had enough skill to become something special but was brought over to play in juniors on account of Blowman to a juniors team where he didn’t have to play a lick of defense where as on his J20 team he would have had to play in his own zone to get minutes.

Seriously, you are a little off with transactions on the team, you are now saying Colton Dach should play alongside Patrick friggin Kane when he can’t skate at an NHL level and confused the wrist injury Kirby got a couple seasons ago with the concussion Colton got a couple weeks ago. You make up fantasy lines and are putting players no longer on the team in them, and you think Bustvist wouldn’t have benefitted from another year in Sweden? Come on, bruh.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Reichel will be a very good 2 way guy also
What I like about Reichels game is he’s smart on top of the physical tools.

The comparison to Hossa isn’t fair, Hossa was a beast, but a faster Patrick Sharp isn’t out of the question.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did you follow Bustvist leading up to the draft?

I did. The kid had enough skill to become something special but was brought over to play in juniors on account of Blowman to a juniors team where he didn’t have to play a lick of defense where as on his J20 team he would have had to play in his own zone to get minutes.

Seriously, you are a little off with transactions on the team, you are now saying Colton Dach should play alongside Patrick friggin Kane when he can’t skate at an NHL level and confused the wrist injury Kirby got a couple seasons ago with the concussion Colton got a couple weeks ago. You make up fantasy lines and are putting players no longer on the team in them, and you think Bustvist wouldn’t have benefitted from another year in Sweden? Come on, bruh.
Dachs rookie year he got checked into the boards in the prospect game against the wild?

How did I confuse his wrist injury exactly?

You often seem to be the confused one trolling with anger for no reason talking out your ass like you know anything.

You really don’t. We all can read here, take your alternative reality bullshit to a campfire with your alternative reality friends.

The world is definitely going to burn you all down when they figure out what you are doing.

I will wait for the scent of searing flesh to wake from my slumber and join in a feast of char.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Dachs rookie year he got checked into the boards in the prospect game against the wild?

How did I confuse his wrist injury exactly?

You often seem to be the confused one trolling with anger for no reason talking out your ass like you know anything.

You really don’t. We all can read here, take your alternative reality bullshit to a campfire with your alternative reality friends.

The world is definitely going to burn you all down when they figure out what you are doing.

I will wait for the scent of searing flesh to wake from my slumber and join in a feast of char.
Do I need to make a “ Rasks greatest hits” thread where your making fantasy lines with players who were traded away still on the team in your, and I use the term loosely, reality?

Sorry, I do know a little bit about hockey and follow prospects and offer my opinion. Thinking that bringing up prospects in this day and age when the Hawks are tanking is a fool’s errand.

Think about it for a minute- would X player be better off in the minors getting 20 minutes a game or delegated to the fourth line in the NHL playing with slugs or sitting in the press box?

You think Colton Dach should be playing with Kane.

You also thought Reichel was a bad pick. You know, the guy who wasn’t rushed into the NHL and put up a ppg in Crackford.

So save me your stupid “derp derp searing flesh “ idiot speak and either talk about hockey with a smidge of intellect or I’ll just put your dorkus diatribes on ignore with the rest of this sites bottom feeding rabble, k?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
K. ?

Won’t be sad like Boqvist. Promise.

(The only thing that could have saved that little bitch is probably a work prison in Siberia. Softest athlete I’ve ever seen.)

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like the give up a shorty or two just as a fake out strategy.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Everyone knew Zegras had skills but Stan reached for the body.

Dach 2.0 might end up paying dividends because unlike his brother he can actually shoot. So much so I think they should just let that kid play too and put him across from Kane.

Btw…Dach broke his wrist in the world juniors and got concussed in the prospect game against Wild.

So sheltering players against amateurs doesn’t always work out.
If Stan was a hockey mind and not a 3rd stringer at H&RBlock, He would have seen that Mitchell, Beaudin, and Boqvist had shown nothing but depth D-man at that point, and he should have also knew that Keith was not long for the NHL world because everyone gets old. Byram would have been the right choice--and leave him to develop because D-men take longer. We saw how he did with Colorado in spite of his injury history. But, No. Bowman the Beancounter had to have his splash center, who he rushed (when he obviously wasn't ready in his 1st NHL year), and didn't break his wrist until after his 1st year.

As for Dach 2.0, he should earn it like everyone else, and so far he hasn't stood out at all. There is zero reason to rush any of our prospects this season--especially if the plan is to tank hard for Bedard, and getting all of 12 shots on goal last preseason game is a strong indicator that the team isn't going anywhere. Let it be the vets and the roster filler castaways who take the pounding. After all, it's not like Keith and Seabrook didn't benefit from extra time in development; we didn't rush them out at 18 or 19.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
It's funny because normally you can say things like, the goaltending isn't that bad, they are just missing a defender or two. Or the defense isn't that bad they just need some back checking, or the scoring will come around they just need to figure the lines out. But I look at this team, and for once, I just don't think anything can be patched or fixed. It's all just incredibly bad. Their is Kane, and some young guys that could be fun, but nothing that screams they'd be better if they just did this one or two things. This has to be quiet quiting on the hockey level.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not sure why anyone is surprised by this. This team, just like the Bears.....is built to lose. They have no design on winning this season which makes the idea of Kaner and Toews staying around most bewildering. Does managemen t actually think those two guys will keep the turnstiles moving? Either that or the two of them must really, really hate change....there is a countless amount of NHL players that woud rather slit their wrists than waste precious years of their career in this kind of situation.