Florida CCS Members

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Thanks. I'm not going anywhere. By the time it hits here will probably be a cat 1.

Not sure how many hurricanes I've been through at this point, but quite a few. The worst part is usually losing power for an extended period of time, which I hope doesn't happen, because that shit sucks.
We lost power up here in MD for 8 days in early January due to snow.
I am convinced that a nation wide power outage would wipe out 80% of the population within 2 weeks.
Everything changes when you lose power. Everything! It's like a science project watching neighbors go about their lives without power.

And when you finally get the power back? It's amazing! It's one of the better feelings in life IMO.

Good luck down there!

At this point short of all out nuclear war an attack on the grid would be the worst thing that could happen. The Texas grid is being held together with gum, thoughts and prayers.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll know pretty well when I wake up one way or another.

FWIW I live in a condo of the hardest poured concrete I've ever seen (killed the best masonry bits after just 2-3 holes drilled w/ hammer drill & max effort). Thick poured walls between each unit and between 1st & 2nd floors, all rated to 160mph. My place is also just across the pond from Gulf Coast Hospital and on their power grid, so we shouldn't lose power for long, if at all. Elec. lines are all sealed underground & was out for only 4-5 hours with Irma. Fully prepped with supplies, water, & shutters up. I helped put up sets for 3 other homes Tues. also. Bar is pretty well stocked to ride it out too, once I confirm we'll be okay. ? ?

Only real concern is storm surge, as I'm over 3 miles inland and 2 miles from the river. 7-8ft above sea level at driveway and a few higher at doorstep, so should be okay, barring worst case, act of God stuff smiting us.

That said, I appreciate any well-wishes. ???

"It's coming right for us!!"

Last edited:

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They keep saying Tampa may get hit for the first time in a century.

I get this feeling they might be ambushed ala what happened to New Orleans after Katrina.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'll know pretty well when I wake up one way or another.

FWIW I live in a condo of the hardest poured concrete I've ever seen (killed the best masonry bits after just 2-3 holes drilled w/ hammer drill & max effort). Thick poured walls between each unit and between 1st & 2nd floors, all rated to 160mph. My place is also just across the pond from Gulf Coast Hospital and on their power grid, so we shouldn't lose power for long, if at all. Elec. lines are all sealed underground & was out for only 4-5 hours with Irma. Fully prepped with supplies, water, & shutters up. I helped put up sets for 3 other homes Tues. also. Bar is pretty well stocked to ride it out too, once I confirm we'll be okay. ? ?

Only real concern is storm surge, as I'm over 3 miles inland and 2 miles from the river. 7-8ft above sea level at driveway and a few higher at doorstep, so should be okay, barring worst case, act of God stuff smiting us.

That said, I appreciate any well-wishes. ???

"It's coming right for us!!"

Yeah dude I just pulled up where that hospital is on the map and you definitely have my well wishes. ?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Didn't Trump want to try to nuke a hurricane? Maybe not so crazy.

He posited the idea, but its been out there for a while.

I think we should perfect water storage/movement/purification on a National scale before we embark on changing the weather with forces at the limits of our control.

Heck, we may need hurricane rain in the coming decades.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
They keep saying Tampa may get hit for the first time in a century.

I get this feeling they might be ambushed ala what happened to New Orleans after Katrina.
Looks like it's gonna hit south of there a bit. One thing is for sure, big parts of the gulf coast are gonna get fucked up by storm surge.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm really far away, and it's already starting to get a little crazy every so often as some of the outer bands are coming through. Not much more than a typical afternoon intense storm, but I'm still a little surprised what we are seeing already.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm really far away, and it's already starting to get a little crazy every so often as some of the outer bands are coming through. Not much more than a typical afternoon intense storm, but I'm still a little surprised what we are seeing already.

Been hearing from people that have been through these before that this is the worst they’ve seen. Hope Starion is doing OK. He’s right smack in the middle of it.