Fields Development Goals

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Let me start off by saying this team is not very talented and will need massive improvement at OL and WR going forward. Let me also say the focus of this post is not to say Fields is a bust. It is to point out what incremental improvements he needs to make over the last 13 games.

Mills is 2nd in the NFL with 2.42 time to throw. Lawrence is 3rd with 2.46. Highly mobile Kyler Murray is 4th with 2.51. Justin Fields is last in NFL with 3.40. There is no QB that has ever been successful with that time to throw not even Lamar. The dude takes almost a full second longer than Mills and Lawrence to get rid of the ball. It isn't sustainable in the modern NFL.

Now is part of that WRs not getting open sure. But looking at the film a lot of that is Fields not throwing to guys who are open underneath. Fields air yards per attempt is 5th in the NFL. His completion percent adjusted for drops is last in NFL at 59.7%. This isn't rocket science. If you are throwing further down the Field but being unsuccessful with it then the solution is to throw it shorter particularly if those guys are open. Take the checkdown. Stop trying to be a hero and win the game yourself.

Fields has the highest percentage of pressure that turns into sacks at 32%. His pocket awareness is terrible. There are times he clearly can step up or scramble one way but choses to scramble the other way and runs himself into a sack. This is born out by the fact that Fields is 2nd in the NFL with respects to sacks where the QB is deemed to be responsble for his own sack. He is first in the NFL in total pressures that are the QBs fault. Finally he is 2nd in terms of percentage of total pressures that is the QBs fault ie 27%. You know who leads or is 2nd in those categories? Mental Midget Mitch.

In short, Fields has issues beyond the protection and the WRs. He has the highest time to throw of any QB by a wide margin which is evidence he is holding the ball way too long. This is backed up by his air yards per pass which is top 5 and the fact he is judged to have caused the highest percentage of his sacks and pressures other than 3M. He can improve these things regardless of the OL amd WR. So I dont care about the passing yards and TDs. What I want to see from Fields is the following:

1. Time to throw dropping below 3 seconds to around 2.75. To achieve that he needs to:

2. Take the fucking checkdown. It is not sexy but it works. Josh Allen went from leading the NFL in air yards per attempt to being 28th this year. He became elite by realizing the checkdown is your friend as a big game hunter. Work the underneath game and attack deep when the D starts to crowd the underneath stuff.

3. Throw or scramble at end of drop. Period. There is no more waiting and hoping something deeper develops. You either throw it to someone or get out of the fucking pocket. He is creating 27% of the pressure against him holding the ball too long and it has to stop.

You survive in the NFL by stacking positive plays however small. Fields needs to embrace this idea or he will not survive and embracing this has fuck all to do with Getsy, the OL or WRs. He has to committ to it. Not anyone else.
Thanks for laying it all out remy. Great post.

It's really simple. Fields has to be better. We all want him to succeed but he's not a good QB right now, and is a big reason for why the passing game is struggling which is probably a reason for why Getsy is going so run heavy right now. He's putting stuff on tape and seems to have a great attitude and work ethic. I'm hoping it'll just take time and reps/lumps for him to figure it out, but he's got a ways to go right now.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do you mean 21 and 11 ie RB/FB (21) and 2 TEs (12). 11 is 3 WRs where he seems to struggle more.

And yes he is better in the heavier sets as I have argued for Getsy to run 21 and 11 majority of time.
Sorry yes typed 12 meant 21

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I saw a kid making some very impressive throws in limited opportunities and made some very impressive runs including running out of leg tackles and being able to juke the defender to escape containment. He missed a few touch passes but I saw the best quarterback in football , Mahomes, miss a few of those also.

I predicted pretty much the improved numbers for Fields. he is learning and improving. I think that gradually his receivers and TEs are going to improve also. And, hopefully, the coaching staff will improve also and begin to do better than they did in the 4th quarter of yesterday's game. Baby Steps.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I saw a kid making some very impressive throws in limited opportunities and made some very impressive runs including running out of leg tackles and being able to juke the defender to escape containment. He missed a few touch passes but I saw the best quarterback in football , Mahomes, miss a few of those also.

I predicted pretty much the improved numbers for Fields. he is learning and improving. I think that gradually his receivers and TEs are going to improve also. And, hopefully, the coaching staff will improve also and begin to do better than they did in the 4th quarter of yesterday's game. Baby Steps.
that "kid" is a grown ass man and would literally beat the **** out of your old ass

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Fields gives incredibly detailed descriptions of what he saw and what he was reading when asked specific questions on his decision making.

Now he has to take that knowledge and condense it into an acceptable NFL timeframe and start making on-schedule throws.

This guy is so much smarter than Mitch and he seems like he’s all business.

I refuse to criticize him at this point, but I acknowledge I’m not happy with his play.

Yes that is why I said he is different. He knows what the right answer is unlike 3M. He just doesn't trust himself to execute on it quickly.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sorry yes typed 12 meant 21

Yeah I actually had a typo as well. 21 is 2 RBs and 1 TE ie FB is in. 12 is 1 RB and 2 TEs. Those are the best sets for the Bears right. Now. 11 which 1 RB and 1 TE and thus 3 WRs has been a disaster.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
run and shoot said:

I'm watching the vid now. @0:21 the backer is on Herbert in the flat. And then as usual, #70 Jones is getting beat.
I'm going to review the other plays. Also please answer the question about the proper way to count down setting up in a non collapsing pocket.

Your claim was that they didnt have checkdowns. They did. Whether you think the checkdown was open is irrelevant.

He can complete that pass, whether Herbert beats the guy one on one after the catch isnt the point. Let your receivers earn their pay checks by getting YAC. If they dont then that is on them not you.

This thread is about Field's development. Feel free to set up your own thread if you wish to talk about coaching, the OL. You question is irrelevant to the topic of this thread.

Yeah he gets it to Hebert if the pocket is not collapsing. You dodged that aspect. Please watch @0:21 again and analyze
the collapsing.

Feel free to set up your own thread if you wish to talk about coaching, the OL. You question is irrelevant to the topic of this thread.

The OL is a part of this discussion on JF's develop. If the pocket is collapsing, then it's a valid question. If u don't know the answer to the proper way to count down setting up in a non collapsing pocket......fine. Just say it.

In LINK #1 You bring up time in the pocket RIGHT? here it is......

And I quote ......"Mills is 2nd in the NFL with 2.42 time to throw. Lawrence is 3rd with 2.46. Highly mobile Kyler Murray is 4th with 2.51. Justin Fields is last in NFL with 3.40."

You bring up time again in LINK #1 ............"Time to throw dropping below 3 seconds to around 2.75."

So, NO 'pocket count' not "irrelevant". And stop using "irrelevant" as a way to dodge a football question. Stop always worrying about being wrong. Stop always needing to be "right", needing to "argue" and "debate" vs just having a discussion. Heck if I don't know something, I have no problem admitting it. And being open to new info.

Again......If u don't know the answer to the proper way to count down setting up in a non collapsing pocket......fine. Just say it. And I'll explain.

---------

I'm still reviewing the vid. I'll have a partial time stamped analysis soon. BTW....if u could, please use time stamps in the
future. It makes play diagnosis easier.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

1st scramble he could have thrown to Herbert in the flat and let Herbert beat his man.

2nd scramble, Kmet comes open underneath. He has pressure but if threw this with anticipation he could have hit Kmet.

2nd pass - Kmet is going to come open underneath but he throws into double coverage in end zone.

4th pass - tipped as can't get it around defender.

3rd scramble - Had Kmet in flat but because of the previous tip he doesn't throw and tries to scramble instead.

3rd Pass - Ebner lined up top of screen and cuts inside and is wide open and Fields doesnt pull trigger.

I will stop here. Go watch the film above. He misses numerous guys underneath. Sorry.

@0:35 JF is flushed immediately from the collapsed pocket and away from Kmet.

@0:53.....again collapsed pocket. So he threw it away

@1:00......PA, decent pass pro he hits Mooney.

@1:36....boot, might've been able to Kmet, but the defender was closing.

@1;55.........slooooow developing route and see no check downs. JF might've left the "pocket" to early

@2:07.......collapsed pocket. JF is forced to run.

@2:17.....bad pass on the PA

@2:20 ......he got Kmet on this one

@2:30......this looked like a "jail break". But it was 5 ON 5. The OL sucked on this one. And wheres the center? :mad:

@2:38.....good screen. The OL is use to letting defenders threw :ROFLMAO:

@2:49......collapsing pocket AGAIN. And edge rusher wacks JF's arm.

@3:12.....good pass, good catch

@3:20......blitz.......no hot route underneath, Looks like vertical routes. ?

@3:37.....he should've gone underneath to #25. Bad pass....tipped

@3:40......might've taken off to soon here. There was a back underneath. JF choose to make a play with his legs

@3:49......risky pass here. Kmet covered underneath. I don't like the PA shotgun call. It's not fooling anyone. When ur on the field.....the D can see running plays easier in the 'gun'.

@4:12.....here we go again, pocket collapsing off the edge. Our friends LT Jones and RT Boram at it again

@4:22.......Sigh, Boram and #25 Ebner just let the defender beeline to JF

@4:30......sigh......another pocket collapse vs a 5 on 5 rush

@4:40......good boot and seal

@4:49........JF is given time......boom, he hits Mooney!

@5:04.....bad pass, not sure where he was going on this one. #70's pass pro was slipping

@5:15.....just a total pocket break down here. And wouldn't u know>>>>> it's 5 ON 5

@5:23.......sigh....another collapse >>> 5 OL vs 4

Ok I'm exhausted. I'm may come back and review the rest. But it's all here for everyone to see.

@Mighty Joe Young @TezMaKai drop in if ya get a chance and give you're thoughts​

Last edited:

alswank87

Liked Posts:
Our plan for fields should be to stick with him and his suckiness until we can draft arch manning. Hopefully we are that bad in 3-4 years.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
run and shoot said:

I'm watching the vid now. @0:21 the backer is on Herbert in the flat. And then as usual, #70 Jones is getting beat.
I'm going to review the other plays. Also please answer the question about the proper way to count down setting up in a non collapsing pocket.

Yeah he gets it to Hebert if the pocket is not collapsing. You dodged that aspect. Please watch @0:21 again and analyze
the collapsing.
If you think that :21 is a collapsing pocket then no wonder your blaming the OL for everything.. You might want to turn up your volume and listen to the announcer comment that he had "all day" news flash when he takes about 4 seconds before he runs.. thats "all day" in the NFL..

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
If you think that :21 is a collapsing pocket then no wonder your blaming the OL for everything.. You might want to turn up your volume and listen to the announcer comment that he had "all day" news flash when he takes about 4 seconds before he runs.. thats "all day" in the NFL..

Yep....I heard the announcer.
Ok...so by my count down, he was in pocket for 2 seconds maybe 3seconds. He looked at #88 covered. Then watch #70 Jones.....he couldn't hold off the defender everyone else held their blocks. JF is flushed left. I can't see the routes down
field, so I don't know if someone was open or not. But I gotta tell ya, I don't like the constant shotgun usage.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
Now how much of that pressure is created by holding the ball?

Maybe some, but note the fact that the Bears receivers are only getting open on about 35% of plays as per this chart.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Yep....I heard the announcer.
Ok...so by my count down, he was in pocket for 2 seconds maybe 3seconds. He looked at #88 covered. Then watch #70 Jones.....he couldn't hold off the defender everyone else held their blocks. JF is flushed left. I can't see the routes down
field, so I don't know if someone was open or not. But I gotta tell ya, I don't like the constant shotgun usage.
youtube has a timestamp you dont need to count anything

jf21.png

jf24.png
jf25.png

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Last edited: