So after a quarter of the season, is Roquan worth more than S. Leonard?

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
was Quinn worth keeping more than Mack?

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
Roquan has shown that his talent level translates to the new system. He has one huge impact play with the interception to ice the Texans game on a tipped ball, but he also has had opportunities like the missed tackle to end a drive when the game was on the line that "the best LB in the game" needs to make reliably. His tackle numbers continue to be good. All that said, I don't think he is worth more than Leonard at this point. I don't think I'd be to upset if they paid him the near the top 5 at that position as I think he could be a key piece to build the defense around. I just don't see him being a player that opponents offenses have to game plan around and his impact is noticeable on defense but not game changing.

A bigger piece of the puzzle may also be just what else is available in free agency for the other holes on the roster. We have a ton of cap space and if locking up Roquan is one of the better signings we can make with these funds, you do it.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think Quinns contract is easier to manage after this year compared how Mack's was
I was convinced Quinn was a goner before the trade deadline but considering how little he’s shown this year I don’t know who would want him now.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

No. Aside from the one obvious play this year I don’t think he’s done anything special. Good yes. Special no. A player who wants that much money should stand out consistently week to week. I forget he’s on the field sometimes.

I’m predicting the franchise tag. The Bears certainly don’t want to lose him next year but I don’t think they want to commit long term either. And I don’t think he’s worth enough to be trade bait either. He plays next year on the tag and they let him walk the next year in free agency when hopefully they have a young guy waiting in the wings.

EDIT: and before someone chimes in here… yes, I’m very aware he leads the league in tackles. I kind of wonder if that’s a reflection of the team not being able to stop the run? So maybe he’s out there more?

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think he is a player you can build around from purely a talent perspective. I was on the pay the man, build around him a few seasons ago. Now, no. I don't think he has the drive. He strikes me as a guy who will get paid and then shut it down.

Marley's Liberality

Liked Posts:
1 All Pro level game
1 good game
2 invisible games

I want him on this team long term but I don't think there the market he thinks will be there for him will ever emerge. I just hope he is willing to come back after he learns how the league values him

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
No. Aside from the one obvious play this year I don’t think he’s done anything special. Good yes. Special no. A player who wants that much money should stand out consistently week to week. I forget he’s on the field sometimes.

I’m predicting the franchise tag. The Bears certainly don’t want to lose him next year but I don’t think they want to commit long term either. And I don’t think he’s worth enough to be trade bait either. He plays next year on the tag and they let him walk the next year in free agency when hopefully they have a young guy waiting in the wings.

EDIT: and before someone chimes in here… yes, I’m very aware he leads the league in tackles. I kind of wonder if that’s a reflection of the team not being able to stop the run? So maybe he’s out there more?
With a bad free agency lots of cap space to spend and a talentless team this is prob best case scenario. Might be possible getting a comp pick for him if he doesn’t hit fa until 2024 assuming they spend allot of the cap space in 2023. Idt he’s done much for trade value rn

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
There's not one player on this team that's worth another contract at this point

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He’s worth way more than Leonard this season

Collins77

Liked Posts:
Would love to keep him. But he's not worth the ticket price. But at same time is it worth trading him for a second or third? If we could get a 1st for him I'd say trade him. At this point it might be worth putting a 1 year tag on him and see what happens next year.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He is the only LB in the NFL in the top 5 in run stops and passer rating as he is 4th in the former with 17 (leader has 22) and 2nd in the latter with 31.8 (leader is 22.9). This is with a really porous DL. There comes a point where you are just looking at excuses to not pay him. Shit or get off the pot.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Answering the actual question is Yes and not even close. Some folks will run to the box score without actually watching what Roquan is doing.

A better question would be whether outside of Quinn and the other LB is there enough there to keep around. Somehow they have demoted Gibson and now they can't stop the run.

This defense is Rochester Jefferson level bad without Roquan.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'll go on record. I want the Bears to pay Roquan. This team is so devoid of talent, why do we want to create more holes? I understand it's a position that people deem not worth of paying, but he's the best player on defense besides maybe the resurgence of Eddie Jackson. They should have paid him this year with whatever cap they had and gotten as much guaranteed money out of the way. Poles should go to Roquan, tell him to hire an agent and the Bears will split the fee with him. Gives Roquan someone in his corner who is going to be able to level set with him on his value and what other teams would pay him and maybe the Bears get a little bit of a break.

I think he will get franchise tagged next year and then will leave in free agency.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am guessing something gets done after the trade deadline in late Nov or early Dec if Quan keeps this up. At that point will likely not need the cap space they are holding on to for in season moves. Likelihood goes up if they do end up moving someone like Quinn.

VickAshley✅️verified

✅️ verified member - He/Him/Himselve/Sir
Liked Posts:
I'll go on record. I want the Bears to pay Roquan. This team is so devoid of talent, why do we want to create more holes? I understand it's a position that people deem not worth of paying, but he's the best player on defense besides maybe the resurgence of Eddie Jackson. They should have paid him this year with whatever cap they had and gotten as much guaranteed money out of the way. Poles should go to Roquan, tell him to hire an agent and the Bears will split the fee with him. Gives Roquan someone in his corner who is going to be able to level set with him on his value and what other teams would pay him and maybe the Bears get a little bit of a break.

I think he will get franchise tagged next year and then will leave in free agency.
Literally second ing this emotion