Poles Grade so far???

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
I had a ton of hope as I genuinely thought his overall plan or what appeared to be his plan.

1. He came in and sold off our old goods with bad contracts. I think most of us agreed with this to help fill the cabinet of draft picks back up and kill those contracts.

2. Draft players and not trade them all away. He picked up a much of picks later on in the draft and used all of those late round picks on linemen. — I agree with the overall strategy of you can have good draft picks.

3. He said that Fields was the guy early on and said that they believed he was the guy moving forward. —— ok, but this could be lip service.

4. He was going to pick up a bunch of younger cheap players.—- not a bad idea given the cap situation and lack of knowledge of current roster. —- agreed with to some extent as we really didn’t have much to work with.

The decisions and situations that I think most of us aren’t too fond of…

1. Playing a 5th round rookie at LT and only brought in Reiff and Schofield very late and seems to refuse to play them. It’s at the expense of Fields health, also-how can you truly evaluate him if there’s no orotection- people are going to question poles ultimate decision bc Fields can’t play his best and even if he isn’t the guy, you can’t really prove it and there will be tons of people saying it was the line’s fault. Just a bad overall decision- can’t put evaluating a fifth round rookie over the QB position!

2. A.Piggy backing on the first, he brought in Dakota dozier, Davenport early on and those two players should never step foot on an NFL field and that was obvious, so why sign them at all-
B. he failed on the hills lineman bid, c.
C.brought in Patrick and that’s not looking so good at all.
D. Let Daniel’s go with no obvious plan for his replacement- again, thought we were trying to evaluate our QB? If we built a good line and fields sucks, then at least we know and the next drafted QB won’t get killed either.
E.he’s supposed to e this line guru bc he and his VP both are former linemen.
F. The handling Jenkins this year has been abysmal- should have told us the truth instead of all the made up shit, then demote him that far in the lineup doesn’t make any sense. Then they give him a day to learn guard and proves he’s a stud, so then they decide to rotate him with a far inferior player- then they start Patrick over Jenkins bc he had a bad Wednesday practice!!!! Wtf????? He’s miles better than our other lineman outside of Whitehair but he’s younger with a much higher ceiling.

Just worried that he was also the better LT and RT all along and that Jenkins somehow pissed them off and demoted him. That or even scarier would be that Poles ego has the better of him and wants his players to provide proof that Poles is a genius when the obvious fact is ….

The only good linemen on this team are Pace holdovers and Pace isn’t exactly known for an eye for offensive talent!!!!

Little worried up to this point if I’m to be honest.

3. Brought in a ton of young/cheap WR free agents, most who were earlier draft picks that didn’t work out. And this really hasn’t panned out as expected- not a single one has stood out above the rest outside of EQ’s blocking prowess.

4. This should have been number 1 but bringing in flus or any defensive guy just didn’t make sense. I along with most of this board wanted an offensive guy for obvious reasons and no explanation that I’ve heard has made any sense to me.

See Brian Daboll

5.a young an inexperienced play caller with no successful history of working with a young QB.

Can’t really tell and maybe we give him a pass bc lack of talent on the team and his inexperience.

Probably wouldn’t have gone with such a a guy myself- maybe a more proven guy, especially with young QB development may have been better. But having the worst passing offense doesn’t look good on his resume!!!

6. The Robert Quinn experiment was a horrible decision. We aren’t clairvoyant but it was painfully obvious Quinn’s value was never going to be higher than the off-season and should have traded him them.

What’s your opinion of Poles after six glorious weeks of football?

Some more food for thought

Last edited:

KoreanBear

Liked Posts:
D+

But it does seem like he has a long term plan and is sticking to it. But also, I won't be surprised if he never had any plans.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It has been 6 games. Still 11 more to go. A lot can happen in 11 games so right now his grade is incomplete.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think trying to grade anything at this point is fucking stupid. Reports around the league is that he never got an offer higher than a 5th for Quinn so I’m not sure why anyone is ripping their dick off over this. Save that for gamedays

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
B. Team has been in every game and are rebuilding. Weak on their own past picks and came into the season with the highest dead cap in the league. He got unlucky in FA with a match at G and the doctors not passing the 3 tech. I don't know what some here expected he could do in a clean out year, weak roster and the least amount of money in the league to play with. This was going to be a grin and Bear it year regardless of what he did. I even like the staff, including Getsy. This team has 3 or 4 wins without players making serious mistakes on routine plays.

Considering what he's walked into, I don't think you can fully judge Poles until he's had 3 drafts and an opportunity to fill a weak roster with his guys but next year should tell us a lot more than this one.

Last edited:

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I had a ton of hope as I genuinely thought his overall plan or what appeared to be his plan.

1. He came in and sold off our old goods with bad contracts. I think most of us agreed with this to help fill the cabinet of draft picks back up and kill those contracts.

2. Draft players and not trade them all away. He picked up a much of picks later on in the draft and used all of those late round picks on linemen. — I agree with the overall strategy of you can have good draft picks.

3. He said that Fields was the guy early on and said that they believed he was the guy moving forward. —— ok, but this could be lip service.

4. He was going to pick up a bunch of younger cheap players.—- not a bad idea given the cap situation and lack of knowledge of current roster. —- agreed with to some extent as we really didn’t have much to work with.

The decisions and situations that I think most of us aren’t too fond of…

1. Playing a 5th round rookie at LT and only brought in Reiff and Schofield very late and seems to refuse to play them. It’s at the expense of Fields health, also-how can you truly evaluate him if there’s no orotection- people are going to question poles ultimate decision bc Fields can’t play his best and even if he isn’t the guy, you can’t really prove it and there will be tons of people saying it was the line’s fault. Just a bad overall decision- can’t put evaluating a fifth round rookie over the QB position!

2. A.Piggy backing on the first, he brought in Dakota dozier, Davenport early on and those two players should never step foot on an NFL field and that was obvious, so why sign them at all-
B. he failed on the hills lineman bid, c.
C.brought in Patrick and that’s not looking so good at all.
D. Let Daniel’s go with no obvious plan for his replacement- again, thought we were trying to evaluate our QB? If we built a good line and fields sucks, then at least we know and the next drafted QB won’t get killed either.
E.he’s supposed to e this line guru bc he and his VP both are former linemen.
F. The handling Jenkins this year has been abysmal- should have told us the truth instead of all the made up shit, then demote him that far in the lineup doesn’t make any sense. Then they give him a day to learn guard and proves he’s a stud, so then they decide to rotate him with a far inferior player- then they start Patrick over Jenkins bc he had a bad Wednesday practice!!!! Wtf????? He’s miles better than our other lineman outside of Whitehair but he’s younger with a much higher ceiling.

Just worried that he was also the better LT and RT all along and that Jenkins somehow pissed them off and demoted him. That or even scarier would be that Poles ego has the better of him and wants his players to provide proof that Poles is a genius when the obvious fact is ….

The only good linemen on this team are Pace holdovers and Pace isn’t exactly known for an eye for offensive talent!!!!

Little worried up to this point if I’m to be honest.

3. Brought in a ton of young/cheap WR free agents, most who were earlier draft picks that didn’t work out. And this really hasn’t panned out as expected- not a single one has stood out above the rest outside of EQ’s blocking prowess.

4. This should have been number 1 but bringing in flus or any defensive guy just didn’t make sense. I along with most of this board wanted an offensive guy for obvious reasons and no explanation that I’ve heard has made any sense to me.

See Brian Daboll

5.a young an inexperienced play caller with no successful history of working with a young QB.

Can’t really tell and maybe we give him a pass bc lack of talent on the team and his inexperience.

Probably wouldn’t have gone with such a a guy myself- maybe a more proven guy, especially with young QB development may have been better. But having the worst passing offense doesn’t look good on his resume!!!

6. The Robert Quinn experiment was a horrible decision. We aren’t clairvoyant but it was painfully obvious Quinn’s value was never going to be higher than the off-season and should have traded him them.

What’s your opinion of Poles after six glorious weeks of football?

Some more food for thought

We are not even halfway into the first year of his tenure. To try to slap a grade on it is really dumb.

Case in point - Gordon looked like a bust early, but he's starting to come on the last two games. Which makes sense because he's a rookie.

Fans need to get over this immediacy bias. It's a rebuild year. Nothing is going to look great and people should have realized that and should stop having temper tantrums over it.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Could be worse. Everyone said they knew this was a rebuild over the summer and now people are pissed off that it's a rebuild. Confusing until you realize you are on these forums.
Yep pretty much this.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Could be worse. Everyone said they knew this was a rebuild over the summer and now people are pissed off that it's a rebuild. Confusing until you realize you are on these forums.
I don’t think people are pissed that it’s a rebuild. They are just upset because the rebuild isn’t completed after one offseason and are way too quick to judge.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
For me the answer to this question correlates to a formula that can be used to grade the GM

Wins
------------------ * 100 = GM grade
Games Played

Last edited:

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Too early to say. I'll be way more interested to see how he addresses this upcoming off season with a full slate of picks (maybe missing a 6th?) and a ton of cap space. I don't mind how Poles/Flus have started the season by playing the young guys on the OL (Jones/Jenkins/Borom) - they need to know who can be a starter and who they need to replace, but my one caveat is once it's impacting your potential franchise QB a change needs to be made. Think this falls more on Flus though to figure out the best line. The options are limited but I think we're all expecting some sort of shuffling for Monday night.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Too early to say. I'll be way more interested to see how he addresses this upcoming off season with a full slate of picks (maybe missing a 6th?) and a ton of cap space. I don't mind how Poles/Flus have started the season by playing the young guys on the OL (Jones/Jenkins/Borom) - they need to know who can be a starter and who they need to replace, but my one caveat is once it's impacting your potential franchise QB a change needs to be made. Think this falls more on Flus though to figure out the best line. The options are limited but I think we're all expecting some sort of shuffling for Monday night.

Just missing a 6th from the Grant trade. Another stupid Pace trade

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Way too soon to tell. but.... you may or may not be right, but we don't know if he is telling Flus to start Braxton Jones or to not play Reiff or Schofeld, so you can't haang that on him. And give him vredit for NOT extending Roquan

GoBears

Liked Posts:
I don’t think people are pissed that it’s a rebuild. They are just upset because the rebuild isn’t completed after one offseason and are way too quick to judge.
This is a good point. It's probably a combination of both. I actually can understand the anger. I'm mad too. Feels like we've been in a rebuild for 20 years. Maybe this time it takes. They say third times a charm so this 12th rebuild must be fucking magic.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The fact that Poles had plenty of resources available to get help for fields, by far the most important player on this team in decades, and instead did next to nothing is a huge mistake in my opinion.

The only improvement he’s made to this team is Brisker replacing Gipson.

If you want to say Gordon is an improvement over our last nickel back because of the last 6 qtrs instead of the first 14… sure… To me, it’s irrelevant. Brisker and Gordon do not help Fields development.

He had $40 mil to sign a DT, he could have spent that $ on an Olineman that is better than Patrick Lucas.

In my opinion. Poles should have and COULD have done more to help Fields THIS year, not next year when it could be too late. And for that, his grade is looking to be closer to failing in his first year.

The only way this is not the case:

1) Fields somehow gets thru this season without any major injuries and does not get any bad habits that is typical for QBs playing behind a shit Oline, and shows massive progress in year 3

2) Fields was never going to be good, Poles knew this from day 1, and drafts a future franchise qb this coming draft and Fields never ends up being a top 15 qb in his career

czman

Liked Posts:
It is still really early but his FA was shit. I think we can grade that now. Next season will be huge in actually determining what kind of GM he is. 100 million in cap is a lot and it would be super easy to blow it on bad contracts.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
His biggest mistake is not giving a 2nd year QB any help what so ever. Not with the OL, not with weapons on offense and not with the guys he hired to coach this team and positions. I like Flus and think Getsy can and hopefully will get better with his play calling because it hasn't been horrible but there's no mistaking what an offensive hire like Daboll could of done for Fields.

I'm still going to not give a grade to him but next offseason will be huge for him to show he can do this job. There's no excuse for not putting the biggest effort towards helping Fields and this offense. Not saying to not help the defense as well but he absolutely has to do his best to fix the two main positions at WR and OL.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
As others have said, too soon. The Bears WERE in on Armstead, that contract got to be more than what the Bears can afford. I don't think they were in on any WR because same. I feel like they could have traded for Amari Cooper, but w/e. After the WR market blew up, I knew there was little to no chance, Cooper would have made sense though.

They were also in on Bates from Buffalo. It's not like he didn't try, the Bears were handcuffed by cap mismanagement from the Pace years.