Poles Grade so far???

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Brisker is a player, If gordon develops this year then that will be a huge win and the draft will be good, despite VJJ being a worthless punt returner.

For me it’s all about what he does next year. Bears need to go all in on OL and WR.

VJJ wasnt really a punt returner in college though. Kick returner, yes.
D-

Brisker seems like he’ll be decent and Gordon is coming along. All of his FA signings have been pretty shitty though.

All the FA signings have been one year deals, nothing really bad that will stick

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Way too early.
The guy had to clear the table before he could begin to work.
I will say that of the items he cleared off the table, I like the decisiveness.

He had a couple legacy guys that he had to roll with (fields a#1 in that regard).
The judgement will come this coming spring now that he knows what he is working with on the field, and a fair enough amount of time has passed to make judgements on key young players.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
I thought Laurence Holmes had a good rant on Poles yesterday:

Pretty much says it all, to me. If Poles drafted Justin Fields, there is no way his off-season moves would have been the same as they were this year. No shot. This whole rebuild has been operated in bad faith, in regards to Fields development/evaluation.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Pretty much says it all, to me. If Poles drafted Justin Fields, there is no way his off-season moves would have been the same as they were this year. No shot. This whole rebuild has been operated in bad faith, in regards to Fields development/evaluation.

there was talk had the bears not drafted fields at their spot he would have fell all the way down the pats who stood pat. Had they stuck with that qb pick, justin may have fell to the 2nd round bruh.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:

They tried on some long term solutions at OL and lost out.

What is the alternative? Overpay for some short term fixes? This never works out.

So many on this board seemed to think the bears would or could be competitive this year, which simply was never the case. Best case scenario was 6-8 wins and middle of the pack. This team was never going to compete even if they brought in a little more OL help.

This is a rebuild. The team sucks and has holes everywhere. Accept it and readjust expectations, look at the off season moves considering this is now going to based on next years additions with the increased cap and a full draft class.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They tried on some long term solutions at OL and lost out.

What is the alternative? Overpay for some short term fixes? This never works out.

So many on this board seemed to think the bears would or could be competitive this year, which simply was never the case. Best case scenario was 6-8 wins and middle of the pack. This team was never going to compete even if they brought in a little more OL help.

This is a rebuild. The team sucks and has holes everywhere. Accept it and readjust expectations, look at the off season moves considering this is now going to based on next years additions with the increased cap and a full draft class.
That's how I see it. The guy ragging on Poles has a right to his opinion but he doesn't know everything either. What did he want Poles to do. No number one pick and a lot of holes to fill on both sides of the ball. Poles went into the draft with the objective of filling the holes using the best player available logic. I agree with that.

Does this analyst want a different draft policy? It certainly looks like his philosophy would be to draft two tackles, a right guard and a center. I don't know where Poles then finds the receivers and TE that they need along with their needed help with a horseshit defensive secondary? If that is the plan, what then happens if Fields isn't the man after this season or you just are not sure? You suddenly have a horrific defense and no receivers.

No one can convince me that Fields doesn't have terrific athletic talent. Maybe he won't be a pro bowl player but he certainly will be at least a threat at the quarterback position with his speed and running ability. Its really far fetched to hire a GM who immediately determines Fields is a bust and basically dooms the kid to fail and tank the season for the number one draft pick. That analyst basically accused the GM of deliberately sabotaging Fields in his rant. I say that any quarterback drafted by the Bears next year and given the starting qb job will take at least two years to develop. To assume differently is just fantasy land thinking.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Poles Grade so far as a GM? Solid B for the draft. C- for free agency. Over-all grade?: C+

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
That's how I see it. The guy ragging on Poles has a right to his opinion but he doesn't know everything either. What did he want Poles to do. No number one pick and a lot of holes to fill on both sides of the ball. Poles went into the draft with the objective of filling the holes using the best player available logic. I agree with that.

Does this analyst want a different draft policy? It certainly looks like his philosophy would be to draft two tackles, a right guard and a center. I don't know where Poles then finds the receivers and TE that they need along with their needed help with a horseshit defensive secondary? If that is the plan, what then happens if Fields isn't the man after this season or you just are not sure? You suddenly have a horrific defense and no receivers.

No one can convince me that Fields doesn't have terrific athletic talent. Maybe he won't be a pro bowl player but he certainly will be at least a threat at the quarterback position with his speed and running ability. Its really far fetched to hire a GM who immediately determines Fields is a bust and basically dooms the kid to fail and tank the season for the number one draft pick. That analyst basically accused the GM of deliberately sabotaging Fields in his rant. I say that any quarterback drafted by the Bears next year and given the starting qb job will take at least two years to develop. To assume differently is just fantasy land thinking.
Fantasy land thinking is your thought about trading for a TE in year one of a re-build that you can't even negotiate a new contract until after the league year is over, or thinking you can beat me at racquetball or chess.

PS, you need to change your account settings because everyone can see your private messages LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Poles Grade so far as a GM? Solid B for the draft. C- for free agency. Over-all grade?: C+
Solid F for this take. You can't judge a GMs draft less than halfway through the rookie season. I really don't want you to take this the wrong way, but you really are not that smart, at all, are you?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
VJJ wasnt really a punt returner in college though. Kick returner, yes.

All the FA signings have been one year deals, nothing really bad that will stick
When I saw that kid making a last second decision to try and field that punt I knew we were fucked. He just should have let the ball hit the ground and hopefully end up in the end zone. It was a stupid mistake. 3-3 is a lot better record than 2-4 with three extra days of rest coming before the Pats game. Two games in a row, stupid mistakes cost them the game. It's not all on Fields. Players need to step up and do their job.

napo55

Liked Posts:
ESB - Had to judge as he suffers the most from Fields hesitation to throw to guys NFL open. He certainly has helped run gsme but as a big WR, Fields has to give him a chance to make the catch rather than expect he is going to have 4 yards of separation.

Harry - Hasnt played yet so cant say one way or the other. But like ESB and ARob you cant evaluate him unless Fields is willing to throw in tignt windows and allow them to do what thay are good at which is using their body to shield the catch even if they dont get great separation.

VJJ - slowed by injury but he can be the YAC guy that is critical to Fields taking the check down. He has 2 catches for just 19 yards or 9.5 yards a catch. His YAC though actually 13.5 ie more than his YPR. So basically he represents easy yards for Fields.

In short you cant say you want guys to develop but then draw conclusions after 6 games. That just shows you are paying lip service as development requires time and patience.

I'm sorry, but you have two failed veterans and a rookie who lacks receiver skills. You need to start with skilled receivers who can compete in the NFL and have real potential to develop. That requires targeting receivers in free agency and investing high draft choices in outstanding college receivers.

Failure to do so has resulted in the Bears having the worst group of WRs in the league.

36special

Liked Posts:
I could not give him better than a D+ based on how the offseason wen. I could argue that it could not have been worse.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm sorry, but you have two failed veterans and a rookie who lacks receiver skills. You need to start with skilled receivers who can compete in the NFL and have real potential to develop. That requires targeting receivers in free agency and investing high draft choices in outstanding college receivers.

Failure to do so has resulted in the Bears having the worst group of WRs in the league.

That is your opinion. Thanks for sharing it but I disagree. Sorry.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

If a GM walked in this spring and said they were going to tailor a rebuild around a rookie who was as abysmal as fields was last year, I would tell him to get the fuck out.

It remains to be seen where poles is headed, but he began properly.
He cleaned out the trash and clutter that was left in his office on day one.
He balanced the invoices left behind.
Now he is looking to see what useful pieces are left.

Next year he starts with a clean slate, and we should begin seeing his fingerprints on the team.

Literally the best way you could describe fields when poles came in is a gigantic question mark- and that is being generous.
Is it so outlandish that poles would want to see which way the arrow is pointing before staking his entire tenure on who Justin was last year?

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Way too early.
The guy had to clear the table before he could begin to work.
I will say that of the items he cleared off the table, I like the decisiveness.

He had a couple legacy guys that he had to roll with (fields a#1 in that regard).
The judgement will come this coming spring now that he knows what he is working with on the field, and a fair enough amount of time has passed to make judgements on key young players.
a player with 1 year under his belt is a legacy player?
95ea6b281617e4baf9cfc34672c--funny-humor-too-funny.jpg

TL1961

Liked Posts:
This is a good point. It's probably a combination of both. I actually can understand the anger. I'm mad too. Feels like we've been in a rebuild for 20 years. Maybe this time it takes. They say third times a charm so this 12th rebuild must be fucking magic.
This is where fans get irrational.

It may feel like a 20 year rebuild but that doesn’t mean the GM gets no leeway.