The curious case of Velus Jones Jr

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
So we have a 25 year old rookie who is a kickoff returner, the most useless position in the NFL by current rules.

He was supposedly drafted for his NFL readiness but can't seem to get on the field on offense and fumbled away his chances as a punt returner.

Does he develop on the bench at 25 years old?

He's the biggest head scratcher for Poles from the draft picks so far.

Why not put him in for more plays on offense?

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It's pretty alarming he can't get on the field over guys like Pettis/ESB and even ISM before he was cut. Is he struggling to understand the offense? Maybe the coaching staff doesn't trust him enough because of the fumbles? I'd like to see him get some more opportunities.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
he was drafted for his maturity and ability to be a swiss army knife type of guy early on...He also missed a lot of time with a hamstring injury...for whatever reason he's struggling on punt returns and he's been on a couple WR sweep and did run a few routes in the pats game...i'm sure we'll see more of him going forward now thats hes healthy and able to practice

GSHSoldier

Liked Posts:
He will not earn a second contract anywhere. Unless it is a one year deal. He is too old and his speed will fall off as he ages.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He has already scored a TD and he set up another one as he was used as a decoy as Pats bit on the sweep motion with him and Fields kept it.

He is fine as a gadget guy. Just need to use him more in that role.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
So we have a 25 year old rookie who is a kickoff returner, the most useless position in the NFL by current rules.

He was supposedly drafted for his NFL readiness but can't seem to get on the field on offense and fumbled away his chances as a punt returner.

Does he develop on the bench at 25 years old?

He's the biggest head scratcher for Poles from the draft picks so far.

Why not put him in for more plays on offense?
Not a head scratcher at all. Poles thought he would pan out early. Still hope he pans out. If not, oh well. A miss on that pick. Won’t be the last one for all GMs. It is what it is. If you would’ve picked someone else, that’s great but that’s you. He picked his guy he wanted.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
It's pretty alarming he can't get on the field over guys like Pettis/ESB and even ISM before he was cut. Is he struggling to understand the offense? Maybe the coaching staff doesn't trust him enough because of the fumbles? I'd like to see him get some more opportunities.
I saw a play where he was running a crossing route and if he'd got some depth he would have been in a giant vacated zone, but instead he stayed flat and ran directly behind an LB. I'm wondering if he's a simpleton

greg23

Liked Posts:
Has he had one pass thrown to him this year?

a real pass/route, not a toss or wr screen?

TonyDogs

Liked Posts:
Not that curious, Mooney is average but he's our best receiver and has the best chemistry with Fields. ESB is trash, but he's an excellent blocker and Flus loves him. Pettis is awful, but he's fast and is a veteran. Other than that, we don't throw the ball much... how many touches do you expect Jones to get?

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Poles passed the buck on that pick and said that’s who fields really wanted lol

clenbuterol_clint

Formerly ClintK55
Liked Posts:
Not that curious, Mooney is average but he's our best receiver and has the best chemistry with Fields. ESB is trash, but he's an excellent blocker and Flus loves him. Pettis is awful, but he's fast and is a veteran. Other than that, we don't throw the ball much... how many touches do you expect Jones to get?
If the other WRs are really that bad, wouldn’t you expect him to get a lot of touches if he were any good??

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
I saw a play where he was running a crossing route and if he'd got some depth he would have been in a giant vacated zone, but instead he stayed flat and ran directly behind an LB. I'm wondering if he's a simpleton
He can not run Routes,I like him on gadget plays

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Velus should at minimum be getting the jet sweep plays and bubble screens.

Considering how much the staff has given the young guys opportunities, it's concerning how he isn't getting more involved the last two weeks

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think you were trying to post something in defense of velus, but you actually ended up making a point in favor of the OP.

If all other WRs are so bad, you would think a 25 yr old 3rd round rookie would have more than 0 catches, right? Lol

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
He's a 3rd round pick.

He was hyped massively after the draft and in preseason by the staff.

He blew it on punt returns but showed promise on offense. Run more of that with him, especially on a struggling offense.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Velus also ran a wheel route out of bounds in training camp. He's obviously not the brightest fella.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
It was a pretty horrible pick in the early 3rd. NFL.com graded him out as a 5th or 6th rounder.

But its hard to be harsh on GMs after the 2nd round IMO. Plenty of good GMs will blow middle round picks... it happens.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It looks like a terrible pick at the moment. That can change. But regardless…. If Poles walks out of that draft with a starting CB, Safety, and LT…. That’s a good draft. And there may be more contributions than that.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
If Poles walks out of that draft with a starting CB, Safety, and LT…. That’s a good draft.
Agreed. In his first draft if Brisker is a very good player, Gordon is a decent starter and Jones becomes at least a swing tackle, I am okay with that. He had no first round selections and the scouting staff is not entirely his own staff in the first season.