Bears trade for Claypool

Rise

Liked Posts:
Those early 2nds often get flipped for 2 more 2nds. Packers did this last year to get their WR. Really wish this was the Baltimore pick.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Claypool has proven he can play in this league. A rookie isn't a guarantee

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Is it just me or does the idea of putting Claypool and ESB/Harry out wide and moving Mooney inside sound like a good plan? Feels like Mooney could wax some dudes inside with Claypool around now as the primary weapon outside the numbers...?
Mooney already moves between outside and inside. So does Claypool.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I know people are not going to like this idea, but I think Poles is done with major WR targets now for this year and next. I don't think you can call Claypool or Mooney legit number 1s but both could be damn good #2s, and they complement each other well.

More than that though, this offense is establishing itself with the run and will probably continue to do so going into next season. With Mooney and Claypool both staring down extensions after next season (or as early as this offseason), I don't think you're adding a hell of a lot more to the position, not when the bread and butter of the offense (run game) would benefit more from and upgraded O-line, which is much needed as well at a couple key spots (center and tackle).

Depending on what ESB, Pringle and Harry continue to show this year, this coming offseason, you're maybe seeing a later pick spent on a WR, otherwise perhaps a little shuffling of the 3rd WR. Grab a speedier guy like Hardman as a slot guy perhaps? Again, the run game benefits from the big receivers like ESB/Harry that can block.
claypool is supposed to be a great blocker, i'm hoping him knowing Kmet can help him stay focused here , i hope he can work on his hands i hope mooney's work ethic rubs off on these dudes

Liked Posts:
Is it just me or does the idea of putting Claypool and ESB/Harry out wide and moving Mooney inside sound like a good plan? Feels like Mooney could wax some dudes inside with Claypool around now as the primary weapon outside the numbers...?
Nah, put the 6'4 240lb guy in there who can take the damage and still burn defenders.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Those early 2nds often get flipped for 2 more 2nds. Packers did this last year to get their WR. Really wish this was the Baltimore pick.
Imagine if our 1st is top 5, and Poles can squeeze someone desperate for a C.J. Stroud or Bryce Young and secure a couple more 1sts to move down to the middle 1st. That 2nd rounder will be a distant afterthought at that point.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

A lot to play with as Claypool can work the slot too. At goalline imagine having Harry, ESB, Clay and Kmet in 11 personnel. If you match WRs with nickel then you get mauled in run game. If you stay in base then you have a LB on one of the WRs.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Not sure why this is so confusing for you. I said a 4th rounder would be ideal because I wanted us to retain our top 3 picks. Now that we got an extra 2nd, I am fine with using a 2nd because we will still have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick. Things change as circumstances change.

You originally said character and attitude issues. I do not consider celebrating a first down character or attitude issues. I am also comfortable that any immaturity issues can be addressed by Flus just as it was with Jenkins.

The off field incident did not result in punishment so I am not all that concerned about it. Again I asked for a link as I wanted to know what you were referring to. Now that I do, I am not overly concerned and the risk is acceptable to me. Don't know what else you want me to say.
I read the first paragraph and you were still saying a 4th today after we got the extra 2nd. You thought he was worth a 4th round pick and now he went for a 2nd and it'll be a 2nd that higher than pick #49 which is what pick Pitt used on him. There's nothing confusing at all besides you not wanting to admit you thought he was worth a 4th for us.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I read the first paragraph and you were still saying a 4th today after we got the extra 2nd. You thought he was worth a 4th round pick and now he went for a 2nd and it'll be a 2nd that higher than pick #49 which is what pick Pitt used on him. There's nothing confusing at all besides you not wanting to admit you thought he was worth a 4th for us.

Again you are confused. Obviously giving a 4th would be better but once again I am fine with the 2nd because we have an extra one. Obviously as a Bears fan I would want less comp given up. That doesn't mean that is what he is actually worth.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
They’re not evaluating…. They’ve seen enough or they don’t make this move. Fields is the franchise.
Maybe. They could just be adding weapons for the next guy

Yogi

Liked Posts:
Love the move. Claypool single handedly has as much production as all of the non-Mooney options combined since the start of 2020.

Claypool: 153 rec for 2,044 yards and 12 tds

Non-Mooney WRs combined: 161 for 2,036 yards and 16 tds

dennehy

Liked Posts:
They will probably have to pay Burrow 50m+ a year and Chase 30m+ a year. Not sure they also want to give Higgins 20-25m a year. Hard to pay what is essentially 2 No 1 WRs and a franchise QB although can stagger the money some.

Given where WR salaries are going I might prefer getting a couple No 2s like Mooney and Claypool and where you can perhaps sign both for under 35m a year.
They have a window now, hard to trade that away imo.