Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Can people name the better 2nd round WRs in the league right now? Brown on Eagles for sure and maybe Sutton on Broncos?

Can our CBMB scouts please name all these studs that were drafted in 2nd round, that are putting up better production? Also, all these 2nd round prospects in college that will be available in 2023? I'll wait.
DK Metcalf. Also Tyreke Hill was a 5th rounder.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
DK Metcalf. Also Tyreke Hill was a 5th rounder.
Yes Metcalf, thought he was in 1st, just asking 2nd rounders...not asking about diamonds found in drafts. Hell Mooney has out performed his draft pick status.

Metcalf, Brown, Sutton.....Im sure he is on par with most statistically and better talent wise, then most.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Can people name the better 2nd round WRs in the league right now? Brown on Eagles for sure and maybe Sutton on Broncos?

Can our CBMB scouts please name all these studs that were drafted in 2nd round, that are putting up better production? Also, all these 2nd round prospects in college that will be available in 2023? I'll wait.

Metcalf. But these guys have zero relevance to the 2023 draft

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like the idea of Claypool, Mooney and Harry in three receiver sets. You have two guys that can take the top off and huge target that can wall off defenders and win in contested situations. Harry and Claypool can both help the run game with their blocking too.

VJJ can’t catch but looks good running the ball. Having Claypool on the field makes makes it tougher for defenses to key on special packages they might employ for VJJ because Claypool is capable of doing anything VJJ can do with his elite athleticism.

This pushes Pettis way down but I think they need him on punt returns. I do not want VJJ back there anymore.

So the WR room looks like this now…

Claypool
Mooney
ESB/Harry
VJJ
Pettis
It’s probably Pringle/Harry, then ESB.

Not because anything pringle/Harry have done, but because ESB has basically only been good at blocking.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

The TCU receiver…

Might be a late first top of second guy.

Quienton Johnston

If he falls there I officially hate the trade.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Yes Metcalf, thought he was in 1st, just asking 2nd rounders...not asking about diamonds found in drafts. Hell Mooney has out performed his draft pick status.

Metcalf, Brown, Sutton.....Im sure he is on par with most statistically and better talent wise, then most.
Why ask about just 2nd rounders? Everyone after the 2nd is as relevant right? Because the idea is how many guys could have been picked that would produce as much as Claypool?

Metcalf, Lockett, Kupp, Robinson, Deebo, Chris Godwin, Michael Thomas, Jarvis Landry, aj brown, McLaurin, Mooney, amon ra st. Brown, Thielen, davante adams, juju, golladay, Renfrow, Keenan Allen, Sutton, Robert woods, Michael Pittman, diontae Johnson, tee Higgins, Stefon Diggs, tyreek hill.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Why ask about just 2nd rounders? Everyone after the 2nd is as relevant right? Because the idea is how many guys could have been picked that would produce as much as Claypool?

Metcalf, Lockett, Kupp, Robinson, Deebo, Chris Godwin, Michael Thomas, Jarvis Landry, aj brown, McLaurin, Mooney, amon ra st. Brown, Thielen, davante adams, juju, golladay, Renfrow, Keenan Allen, Sutton, Robert woods, Michael Pittman, diontae Johnson, tee Higgins, Stefon Diggs, tyreek hill.
Even if you did just in the second round, and it doesn't make sense to exclude those later than the second, there are still a ton of really good players.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Look his college talents and production warranted a 2nd round draft choice and were confirmed in his NFL production the first 2 seasons.

The singular downside is the loss of 2.5 years of low cap #.

The upside is he is a known NFL quantity, a verified NFL #2, the lack of need to acclimate to the NFL which often takes WR's a year plus, and proven NFL durability.

Not to mention the opportunity to have half of a season and a full offseason to learn the playbook and get in synch with JF(which a rookie will not have), as the Bears head into the 2023 season where they are trending towards becoming a playoff viable team.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Look his college talents and production warranted a 2nd round draft choice and were confirmed in his NFL production the first 2 seasons.

The singular downside is the loss of 2.5 years of low cap #.

The upside is he is a known NFL quantity, a verified NFL #2, the lack of need to acclimate to the NFL which often takes WR's a year plus, and proven NFL durability.

Not to mention the opportunity to have half of a season and a full offseason to learn the playbook and get in synch with JF(which a rookie will not have), as the Bears head into the 2023 season where they are trending towards becoming a playoff viable team.
Plus, he has his college buddies Kmet, Mustipher and EQ to help him feel more comfortable. These are young guys and they’re human, not machines. Moving to a new team and city I’m sure can be hard but to have some friends has to be appealing to Claypool. Also, the Bears have a strong armed QB that loves to go deep.

I think he’s going to get back on track with Justin.

Last edited:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Plus, he has his college buddies Kmet, Mustipher and EQ to help him feel more comfortable. These are young guys and they’re human, not machines. Moving to a new team and city I’m sure can be hard but to have some friends has to be appealing to Claypool. Also, the Bears have a strong armed QB that loves to go deep.
And the argument that his stats have dropped off is a bit deceiving, he is on pace for his most receptions in a season. His Y/R is way down based on positional and route usage. In this same offense, Diontae Johnson's production has cratered. Not sure how anyone sees this addition for a second rnd pick as anything other than a positive.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Why? Isnt the whole crying and moaning about giving a 2nd rounder for Claypool. So yeah, that is why 2nd round is relevant. Also lets see how they stack up. All 3 completed years against Claypool with 2.5. Also some had Brees, Wilson, Mahomes, and started right away. I just did a few off your list. Claypool did not and had bad QB play, besides rookie year. IMO, he stacks up and can be more of a main focus, like a ton you named there. Lets revisit stats after his third year is completed....hell, he may be on par with some good ones. Barring injury, he will have better stats than Lockett, Deebo, Thielen, Kupp, maybe Godwin

GS REC Yards TDS

Lockett 25 137 1316 9

Kupp 28 197 2596 21

Robinson 40 201 2831 32

Deebo 31 167 2598 10

Godwin 21 179 2700 16

Thomas 42 321 3787 23

Landry 41 288 3051 13

Thielen 14 89 1248 6

Claypool 27 153 2044 12

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Why? Isnt the whole crying and moaning about giving a 2nd rounder for Claypool. So yeah, that is why 2nd round is relevant. Also lets see how they stack up. All 3 completed years against Claypool with 2.5. Also some had Brees, Wilson, Mahomes, and started right away. I just did a few off your list. Claypool did not and had bad QB play, besides rookie year. IMO, he stacks up and can be more of a main focus, like a ton you named there. Lets revisit stats after his third year is completed....hell, he may be on par with some good ones. Barring injury, he will have better stats than Lockett, Deebo, Thielen, Kupp, maybe Godwin

GS REC Yards TDS

Lockett 25 137 1316 9

Kupp 28 197 2596 21

Robinson 40 201 2831 32

Deebo 31 167 2598 10

Godwin 21 179 2700 16

Thomas 42 321 3787 23

Landry 41 288 3051 13

Thielen 14 89 1248 6

Claypool 27 153 2044 12
I'm not knocking Claypool, I like him. I just don't quite understand the looking at just 2nd round wrs. The complaint is that it was an overpay, which I think it probably was a bit. So if people just didn't want to give up a 2nd for this specific player, then it isn't even position specific. We could be looking at every successful player at any position drafted in the 2nd or later as justification.

Again, I'm not really against the trade overall. I just don't understand the argument you are making

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not knocking Claypool, I like him. I just don't quite understand the looking at just 2nd round wrs. The complaint is that it was an overpay, which I think it probably was a bit. So if people just didn't want to give up a 2nd for this specific player, then it isn't even position specific. We could be looking at every successful player at any position drafted in the 2nd or later as justification.

Again, I'm not really against the trade overall. I just don't understand the argument you are making
So again, how did we overpay? It was a 2nd rounder, which he is definitely worth.

The argument is.......Claypool is not worth a 2nd rounder and plenty are upset with giving a 2nd rounder for him.

My Answer........He is worth the 2nd rounder, his stats are on par or better than most WRs in the 2nd round. We also have another 2nd rounder and the WR FA Agent market is horrible, last time I checked.

We act like Miller, Bradley, Engram are not other examples, in Chicago. You have one, Jeffery which after this season, Claypool can be on par with after this 3rd year. How is that a bad thing?

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
So again, how did we overpay? It was a 2nd rounder, which he is definitely worth.

The argument is.......Claypool is not worth a 2nd rounder and plenty are upset with giving a 2nd rounder for him.

My Answer........He is worth the 2nd rounder, his stats are on par or better than most WRs in the 2nd round. We also have another 2nd rounder and the WR FA Agent market is horrible, last time I checked.

We act like Miller, Bradley, Engram are not other examples, in Chicago. You have one, Jeffery which after this season, Claypool can be on par with after this 3rd year. How is that a bad thing?
Well in that case he's worth a 1st because he's produced in the nfl and most 1sts bust too

bears51/40

Liked Posts:

Ok here are a few of the better ones around the league.
Metcalf
Adams
Samuel
Higgens
Boyd
Kirk
Smith-Schuster
Thomas, before ankle injuries.

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
Robbie Anderson first 2 years in NFL - 1528 receiving yards, 9 receiving TDs and 51 yards rushing.
Chase Claypool first 2 years in the NFL - 1733 receiving yards, 11 receiving TDs, 112 yards rushing and 2 rushing TDs.

Claypool was better.

In his first 5 years Anderson had a 1000 yard receiving year and a 2nd year over 900, both higher than claypool’s best season.

I know claypool is better now because of age and potential but let’s not pretend that Anderson wasn’t a very comparable player at the same age. That was the only point I was making.

Anyways, have a good day, nothing I said warranted being called a “fkin idiot” by that dude

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Because they just paid DJ and Pickens is cheaper. No team is paying 3 WRs big money so one of them had to go and Claypool made the most sense for the above reasons.
Claypool's obviously a bigger, more athletic upgrade at WR,let's hope he's re-signed.........if he is,the trade's a win! If not.....it's a pattern.

Let's also hope Fields can stay upright long enough to find his new improved target,if Claypool doesn't get many opportunities due to a lack of protection the rest of the way........he may be an unhappy camper. Getting a few OL's back from injury should help.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
In his first 5 years Anderson had a 1000 yard receiving year and a 2nd year over 900, both higher than claypool’s best season.

I know claypool is better now because of age and potential but let’s not pretend that Anderson wasn’t a very comparable player at the same age. That was the only point I was making.

Anyways, have a good day, nothing I said warranted being called a “fkin idiot” by that dude

You said at same age. You cant count 5 seasons when Claypool hasnt played 5 seasons yet. He has played 2 full seasons and his 2 full seasons are better than Anderson's first 2 full seasons.

It is not an idiotic comparison but I think you ignore Claypool is young enough and athletic enough to surpass Anderson's career.

Last edited:

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The TCU receiver…

Might be a late first top of second guy.

Quienton Johnston

If he falls there I officially hate the trade.
Johnston is a beast. We'll have to take him at #12 if we want him. LOVE him though. 6'4", fast, great hands. ELITE.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Johnston is a beast. We'll have to take him at #12 if we want him. LOVE him though. 6'4", fast, great hands. ELITE.
I am for a trade down to land. Johnston or just land Johnston regardless of Claypool/Mooney.