Do you give Fields entire year if he does not improve?

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
The whole premise of the thread was questioning whether to give Fields the whole season, which is a no-brainer and a ridiculous question, so it shouldn't be surprising there's stupid in here.

The record is not the important thing. But this has to be a full season audition. He won't get better sitting on the bench, so you play him and see what he's got. He may improve, he may not. You hope he settles the question one way or another whether you've got a guy to build around.

But any way you slice it, you need the answer to that question.

The one thing you can not do is replace him with a backup and keep wondering.
Maybe you should ask the head coach if he thinks the record is important or not. I’m thinking people who seem to think that this staff is willing to lose every game to see what they have in a QB that I don’t think they even believe in, in the first place, might be surprised at the answer.

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
That does make sense. But I don't know if Trevor Semens is a clear upgrade.
Not sure either. The reports out of training camp all summer was how bad the offense passing game looked. Not sure if that was mostly on Fields or a combination of both.

I just have this feeling this staff doesn’t believe 100% in this guys ability.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I choose this post to reply to. because I don't think any team that's ever done this had success with benching their starting quarterback in favor of the backup because they played poorly in games. ok, well maybe one exception, benching Grossman in 2007 yielded Brian Griese and Kyle Orton's combined powers to sweep the Packers, but that didn't do anything to help Grossman is my point. benching Fields isn't going to fix the core issue.

I didn't watch the game today, 18 pass attempts though it looks like the governor on him is still active.
They missed the playoffs that year too...

You aren't gaining much by putting Semen in there, the dick ripping is slightly amusing from the fans. Kid hasn't played the equivalent of a full season. I'm sure he's aware that he needs to play better.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
That does make sense. But I don't know if Trevor Semens is a clear upgrade.
well the bar is set pretty low right now.. i mean if he can average 150 yards per game and 1TD and 1INT.. thats an upgrade.. Which is pretty depressing

Throwthebones

Liked Posts:
I am not saying that fields is a bust.... Yet. But I honestly would rather has trubs at this point

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
I would have said yes going into this year. But he is playing so bad that eventually you have to evaluate the other players. It’s not fair to them.

If it was me, I give him maybe to week 6.
14 more weeks left this season. Too early to tell diffinitive one way or the other. Lets see what happens. So far he has not been good. I expected him to struggle a bit in the first 3 to 4 games but for it to start clicking by about week 5 or 6 but i must admit hes been worse than i thought he would be.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I think that’s why it just might be on the table. I stated in a different thread that even though I’m sure this staff let George know that this might be a rough year, I’m sure they, the staff, want to win as it impacts not only their current jobs, but any potential future jobs they might want to go for.

So in my opinion, if this team is winning by week 8 or 9 in spite of Fields, and Fields continues to look like he has, then I’d be shocked if they did not bench him.
Future jobs?
Bench any QB in favor of Semian and there will be no future jobs.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You use the whole season to evaluate him. This week to week expectation is just ridiculous.

I’m okay with this.
Hopefully the powers that be don’t duped into thinking making the playoffs as a wildcard team and make a QB switch to get there is the right course to take.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
LOL at @Spitta Andretti trying to drag out pre-draft receipts - while in this thread, I was saying in the Hypothetical that I 100% give Fields the entire year no matter what, and Spitta has Poles looking for new quarterbacks...

Don't make me go looking for YOUR receipts @Spitta Andretti . You better hurry up and delete them all ;)

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was always going to give him a year. He's already shown major improvements.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LOL at @Spitta Andretti trying to drag out pre-draft receipts - while in this thread, I was saying in the Hypothetical that I 100% give Fields the entire year no matter what, and Spitta has Poles looking for new quarterbacks...

Don't make me go looking for YOUR receipts @Spitta Andretti . You better hurry up and delete them all ;)

look for them you fat fuck

none will say he would be a bust after he was drafted like yours did

:jonesy:

and Poles should scout QBs regardless, thats just being a smart GM

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Find them . Link them.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
look for them you fat fuck

none will say he would be a bust after he was drafted like yours did

:jonesy:

and Poles should scout QBs regardless, thats just being a smart GM

Aw, poor baby triggered?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I would have said yes going into this year. But he is playing so bad that eventually you have to evaluate the other players. It’s not fair to them.

If it was me, I give him maybe to week 6.

LOL.....JF is the man. If anything we should dump one of the back-ups and get another mobile Qb behind JF so we don't ever have to change the offense.

Edit: a young mobile, back-up Qb, who can make plays in or outta the pocket ( passing or on the move). We can develop him and hopefully get something for him one day.....if it comes to that. We'll never get anything for Semian or Peterson.

Last edited:

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Some of you are so fucking stupid. Lol. And look, it's the same dumbfucks over and over again. What's it like to just be so stupid and wrong and bad all the time, and then people are going to keep bumping your stupidity and rubbing it in your face? God damn.

With all that being said, I will remain patient. Because I'm sure he still has some ups and downs left in him. I look forward to the same dummies calling him a bust as soon as he throws his next pick.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
LOL.....JF is the man. If anything we should dump one of the back-ups and get another mobile Qb behind JF so we don't ever have to change the offense.
Yes, I totally agree, they should definitely get a backup QB that can make plays with his legs like Fields. Shouldn't be too hard to find.