Tom Thayer unloads on Justin Fields' last four games "If Justin doesn't scramble anymore the rest of the season I don't care."

JordanSigler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Let's look at these QBs mentioned. Mahomes - sat 1st year, was electric once he secured starting role year his 2nd year in the league and been rolling ever since. Had Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins and Travis Kelce along with one of the best offensive coaches in the league. Is the best QB in the game, bar none.

Burrow - looked shaky year 1. Added Jamar Chase to go with Tee Higgins from the previous year's draft along with Tyler Boyd. Also had a 1200 yard rusher in year two. So they've added 3 huge pieces that pushed their previous #2 receiver down to their #3 wide receiver while adding two elite WR talents.

Watson - only played 7 games his rookie year, often made chicken salad out of chicken shit. However, he did have an elite 4th year wide receiver in DeAndre Hopkins who was among the top 3 WRs in the league at the time. Year 2, he really took off as he also had the benefit of an incredible defense. Will Fuller was a great deep shot guy that opened everything up for Hopkins to catch everything.

Tua - 3rd year in the league, added Waddle along with Tyreek Hill and an offensive minded coach and boom, excelling in year 3.

Hurts - 3rd year in the league, added AJ Brown along with the addition of Devonta Smith the year prior. Has a good tight end in Godert.

None of these are remotely comparable situations. Look at every single one of those guys - they all had at least 1 elite superstar WR and a 2nd good to very good wide receiver. The one with the least amount of offensive weapons was arguably Watson but he also had the benefit of an incredible defense so less need to take risks.

Justin Fields doesn't even have a single "good" receiver much less an elite one. He's got a bunch of #3 or #4 wide receivers on a championship caliber team. They're just dudes. The only one I really like is Kmet who may develop into an above average to pro bowl tight end but he isn't there now. It's a ridiculous comparison.
Weird how all of those QBs needed already great wide receivers to make better. Why didn’t those teams get worse wide receivers for them to make better?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
How funny will it be if career journeyman back-up Trevor Siemian throws for 200 yards and 2 TDs this Sunday in his first start for the Bears?
Will he total 400 yards and four TDs as well?
Ah yes the WR excuse that was used for Cutler is now being used for Fields.

Real QBs make the players around them better.
So like Fields is doing?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm sorry your ability to read analogies sucks. Fields ceiling is like Kirk Cousins at best. A career 500 QB who will need the ideal situation around him to win. High level defense Pro Bowl caliber offensive line and receivers.

Then when Fields gets to the playoffs every once in a while he'll lose games to teams with equal talent. The Bears will struggle every year to make the playoffs with Fields.

Derek Carr Kirk Cousins Kyler Murray Jared Goff Jay Cutler. He'll be that starter that hangs on and never wins more than 10 games. Circa Trubisky 2018.
This is impressively stupid.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Let's look at these QBs mentioned. Mahomes - sat 1st year, was electric once he secured starting role year his 2nd year in the league and been rolling ever since. Had Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins and Travis Kelce along with one of the best offensive coaches in the league. Is the best QB in the game, bar none.

Burrow - looked shaky year 1. Added Jamar Chase to go with Tee Higgins from the previous year's draft along with Tyler Boyd. Also had a 1200 yard rusher in year two. So they've added 3 huge pieces that pushed their previous #2 receiver down to their #3 wide receiver while adding two elite WR talents.

Watson - only played 7 games his rookie year, often made chicken salad out of chicken shit. However, he did have an elite 4th year wide receiver in DeAndre Hopkins who was among the top 3 WRs in the league at the time. Year 2, he really took off as he also had the benefit of an incredible defense. Will Fuller was a great deep shot guy that opened everything up for Hopkins to catch everything.

Tua - 3rd year in the league, added Waddle along with Tyreek Hill and an offensive minded coach and boom, excelling in year 3.

Hurts - 3rd year in the league, added AJ Brown along with the addition of Devonta Smith the year prior. Has a good tight end in Godert.

None of these are remotely comparable situations. Look at every single one of those guys - they all had at least 1 elite superstar WR and a 2nd good to very good wide receiver. The one with the least amount of offensive weapons was arguably Watson but he also had the benefit of an incredible defense so less need to take risks.

Justin Fields doesn't even have a single "good" receiver much less an elite one. He's got a bunch of #3 or #4 wide receivers on a championship caliber team. They're just dudes. The only one I really like is Kmet who may develop into an above average to pro bowl tight end but he isn't there now. It's a ridiculous comparison.
I hated that play calling in the Falcons game. It seems as if the Bear's go way too conservative when they get around the red zone. They run a couple of plays into the line and then force Fields into 3rd and 5 type situations where everyone on the defense is coley focused on attacking him.

I don't know really how to describe it but it seems like they are holding him back from attacking the defense with his arm. Also where is Claypool? I know he is new to the team but routes are routes and the guy is a big tall target and they are not even trying to target him.

JordanSigler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So what you're saying is as soon as Justin Fields has better WRs he'll be as good as the best QBs in the NFL.

I'll take that bet.
Yeah I’m saying if he had better wide receivers and better help on the offensive line he’d be lot better… kind of like why Brady recruited players in tampa and Rodgers wants help in Green Bay this season…

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah I’m saying if he had better wide receivers and better help on the offensive line he’d be lot better… kind of like why Brady recruited players in tampa and Rodgers wants help in Green Bay this season…
Wait wait so you think Justin will be as good as Brady and Rodgers? You're in for a massive level of disappointment.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So you’re saying that putting good players on a team might improve it? What kind of moron would bet against that?? Oh right……. Biff

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Bears fans are such meatballs. They complain about the QB position for decades, then when it looks like they might have a guy with some promise, complain about the process of turning that player into a franchise QB (maybe this is a hangover effect from Trubisky). The patience level exhibited by some fans is that of my toddler when she doesn't get her food fast enough.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Fields on the jets a pro bowler? I think for sure with dolphin/eagles he would be balling. Wondering with a younger offense like jets bet he’s a pro bowler

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Idk bro, this Jets offense is BAD. If the Bears D can't shut them down they may as well waive the white flag on the season. If Siemien starts, I'd expect a 14-10 type game. Back to the good ole days of Nagy
It’s not bad if Flacco starts. Wilson might need this game against this crap defense he can get his confidence back using and abusing the secondary

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers

Ah yes, ignoring the specifics of how every single QB you listed, has benefitted from having an elite #1 wide receiver and a good to very good #2.

Ignoring the QB (since we know you think he's not any good), who on this offensive roster could be a big contributor on a championship level team?

Bust

Liked Posts:

That was actually the theme back in the day on these boards. See how quickly it's changed??

Now it's become, we need to surround said QB with . . . hall of fame LT, All pro center, hall of fame wr, all pro runningback and hall of fame tight end.

LOL