Chase Claypool - Is he a bust?

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
You’re right we should give him another 4 years for full evaluation.

Why does everyone do this? Give him an off-season, evaluate him next year. No one said he needs four years, just more than a handful of games.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Why does everyone do this? Give him an off-season, evaluate him next year. No one said he needs four years, just more than a handful of games.

Well, if you traded a top 38 pick for a 1.5 year rental, thats not smart.

You would hope Claypool turns it around and I'm glad he stayed healthy. But you would expect them to try to pay him considering that they invested a 2nd rounder in him.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't know if he's a bust yet but still standing by he wasn't worth a 2nd round pick and definitely not our own 2nd which will be top 5.

Remy says he is so i hope he's right on this one cause that 2nd is a huge loss for us. Talking about a day one starter on a rookie deal.
@remydat also tried to tell me Mooney was better than Amon St. Brown, so it is obivous his WR evals are highly suspect.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
You don’t trade a top 5 second round pick for a guy going into his last year of his contract for evaluations. You want to eventually watch a good football team don’t you?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
@remydat also tried to tell me Mooney was better than Amon St. Brown, so it is obivous his WR evals are highly suspect.
Yeah unfortunately for us Bears fans that one isn't even close.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Im not gonna blame him for a lack of production because you cant catch what isnt coming your way but when i see the way he tries to catch a ball when he gets his chances, it doesn't inspire confidence. Hands at his waist, catching with his body. The people who covered him in PIT dont seem to think very highly of him either.

Barring him turning into what he was as a rookie. its horrible value. Id rather take the upside of an unknown top 35 pick and 4 years of their contract over 1.5 of a guy who has 3 TDs over the past 2 (almost 3) seasons and hasn't eclipsed 900 yards in a season.

The worst part of all is that they used a 3rd on Vuhjina Jones, a guy who we have no idea if he can even play WR at all. Thats 2 day 2 picks, 1 of them borderline day 1, for 2 guys who don't solve the issue you had at their position going into the season. After months of people insisting Poles couldn't and shouldn't overpay WRs and that no 2nd round WRs make a difference, today(and the past month for the Packers) we saw a 2nd round WR make a difference and Poles still ended up overspending on a WR anyways.

If they improve the OL in the offseason, hopefully we'll get to see him better utilized with more vertical passing

tcmtrinity

Liked Posts:
Desperate move by Poles trying to save his QB1 from getting killed. Not a long term solution.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
He’s extremely young and has tons of upside! Give it time.

mecha

Liked Posts:
remember when the Bears got Pringle and Claypool and I said it was the battle of the 3rd string receivers? and I got mass disliked for it by crybabies?

looks like I was still right. perhaps they're saving him as like a "break glass in case of emergency" solution and are just playing him like damaged goods Kevin White right now.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How do you guys feel about him so far? He is @remydat 's chosen one at WR, so I expected a lot more.

If he were a mediocre white QB you would give him 4 years and start call out threads shitting on anyone that questioned his play.

In any event your argument is contradictory. On one hand you are saying cant blame Fields for not having 200 yards because he doesnt throw enough. Yet we want to blame Claypool because his QB doesnt throw enough. Fields has thrown like 3 go routes to Claypool and has 1 PI and 1 missed PI. Trevor also hit him on one. Fields needs to throw to him more down the field. Simple as that.

Last edited:

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
He should be getting more targets but the designed plays for him always look so clunky and awkward. Nothing ever looks smooth with this guy.

This year he can get a pass. This team is so far away from contention, one receiver wasn’t saving them from that reality. Next year they’re going to have more talent there, especially on the offensive line.

Next year is when we can answer that question about Claypool. If his stat line is this a year from now, absolutely. I hope he puts Poles in a position to not let him go.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I suspect they will feature him more after the bye. ESB needs to get phased out as that go route is probably a TD if it was thrown to Claypool and not ESB.