Marcus Davenport

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
It's pretty thin pickings for edge defenders in FA. Curious what people think about Davenport.

Pros: Very good all around DE. Generates pressure. Good against the run. Still young(26)

Cons: Can't stay healthy. Doesn't get a lot of sacks.

Davenport feels like one of the bigger free agent gambles. He's going to be overpaid since the FA is so thin. If he's healthy, he's one of the better all around DEs and would look great opposite a dynamic rookie edge rusher, until he inevitably gets hurt.

Thoughts?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I wouldn’t commit on a multi year deal.

But if he doesn’t get that then maybe a short one/two year “prove it” deal. It could be at a high dollar amount. My issue is simply getting locked into 4 years with the guy.

Talent is there. Health and consistency is not.

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
Honestly I think we're ok with Gipson and possibly Robinson (though its too early to tell with him)... under one condition though. We need to solidify the DT position in a hurry. Ron Payne would be a great addition and could open up the lanes for Gipson/Robinson. We had great success with Hicks eating up the lineman and opening up plays for our DE's. Gipson has a the speed, he just needs that extra guy to take on the DT to free him up.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Honestly I think we're ok with Gipson and possibly Robinson (though its too early to tell with him)... under one condition though. We need to solidify the DT position in a hurry. Ron Payne would be a great addition and could open up the lanes for Gipson/Robinson. We had great success with Hicks eating up the lineman and opening up plays for our DE's. Gipson has a the speed, he just needs that extra guy to take on the DT to free him up.

Negatory

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
Fine I'll take that, but you cant tell me that Gipson needs to be on the bench even if we were to get a guy like Davenport.
I dont care who we end up with as our starting DE's other than Anderson (in the draft)... if we dont fix the DT spot in a hurry.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Fine I'll take that, but you cant tell me that Gipson needs to be on the bench even if we were to get a guy like Davenport.
I dont care who we end up with as our starting DE's other than Anderson (in the draft)... if we dont fix the DT spot in a hurry.

Payne and Carter. Fixed.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I have to strongly disagree. Right now, Gipson and Robinson are failing to get around single blocks. They both need more work to be anything more than rotational rushers.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I was reading and typing while you posted this, but yeah, this team absolutely needs a stud DT. most people here would agree to the idea of having 4 new starters on the DL next year.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Nuke it from orbit… only way to be sure.
Imagine this Lineup
Anderson (R) - Payne - Cox - Davenport (not my personal preference but that is the topic at hand)

Supposing a fully healthy season, that is a DL fully capable of generating 40 sacks between 4 people and three broken ribs for Aaron Rodgers. I would offer Davenport a one or two year contract to prove his value, since he is young enough to still cash in on a big season or two if he stays healthy. Cox gets a 3 year deal with more guaranteed money than bonuses because he is a hoss to deal with, and Payne gets a big splashy contract because the entire defense runs through his motor.

And you would still have the money to nuke the OL from orbit and entirely restaff it as well.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Imagine this Lineup
Anderson (R) - Payne - Cox - Davenport (not my personal preference but that is the topic at hand)

Supposing a fully healthy season, that is a DL fully capable of generating 40 sacks between 4 people and three broken ribs for Aaron Rodgers. I would offer Davenport a one or two year contract to prove his value, since he is young enough to still cash in on a big season or two if he stays healthy. Cox gets a 3 year deal with more guaranteed money than bonuses because he is a hoss to deal with, and Payne gets a big splashy contract because the entire defense runs through his motor.

And you would still have the money to nuke the OL from orbit and entirely restaff it as well.

I wonder if Anderson fits as a 4-3 end at his size?

I’m curious to hear what the draftniks say about that over the coming months. I have no idea personally.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gipson and Robinson are rotational players
I do like them, but I agree.

I wouldn't hate if one of them started next year while they added another starter and drafted another rotational edge rusher. I have no idea if they'll be interested in Davenport, Clowney or Ngakoue...but they'll have to address the edge in FA at some capacity.

I agree with the earlier notion on kicking the tires on Davenport on an expensive 'prove it deal' for one or two years if they could pull it off. My only issue with that idea is I don't see how it would be appealing to Davenport to come to Chicago when plenty of teams will line up to offer Davenport a short deal.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
I'd rather take a shot at the eagles guy or a proven sack guy like ngakoue over davenport... Davenport is the kinda guy you wait to see what people do if no one takes him you sign him to a decent one year deal.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:

I’m curious to hear what the draftniks say about that over the coming months. I have no idea personally.
I think he's too good against the run for his size to be an issue. I could see how its concerning, but I don't think his size would be an issue in this defense.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats

Personally? I think he can more than make up for it because he has good length and is incredibly quick, and I really dont see why he cant stand up in a wide 9 on passing downs anyway. He looks as big as Myles Garrett did coming out and he holds up on the end. Anderson will need to continue to get stronger to put together a career worth a Top-5 pick, but I think that about every DE coming out of college. You just dont see slender guys with "farmer strength" playing on DL anymore.

Fact is, though, if you bring in two big boys like Cox and Payne, our ends will be there for cleanup. Anderson's quickness will be a boon if he develops secondary moves to stay in the play as QBs move out of the pocket. I'd put him at left end and be willing to move off of spending money at DE, because I already would have three horses ready to make hell for Rodgers, Kirk, and whatever failure lines up in Detroit.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
Looking at pass rush win rate of edge with over 100 pass rush snaps. Trevis Gipson is 79th edge in the league. AQD is 120th and Dominique Robinson is 122nd. Justin Jones is 77th DL. By that metric, Gipson and Jones MIGHT be rotational guys. The others need to step it up or get replaced.