Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Looking at pass rush win rate of edge with over 100 pass rush snaps. Trevis Gipson is 79th edge in the league. AQD is 120th and Dominique Robinson is 122nd. Justin Jones is 77th DL. By that metric, Gipson and Jones MIGHT be rotational guys. The others need to step it up or get replaced.
And hey, who is to say that they wouldnt be the types who can earn sacks with secondary pressure after another person disrupts the play? Or if they came off the bench on third down while the other lineman is trying to pace himself for a long game?

But right now, with every chance to shine as individuals, they are failing.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
I'd be fine with Davenport if it was 1 or 2 year deal. Anything more than that, then that's a no from me. I'd also be interested in Charles Omenihu and Ogba Okoronkwo.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I wonder if Anderson fits as a 4-3 end at his size?

I’m curious to hear what the draftniks say about that over the coming months. I have no idea personally.

Honestly I think he's incredibly over rated. I see comparisons to Von Miller and Mack but from what I've seen he looks nothing like them. Biggest thing is his lack of fluidity/tight hips and there's no speed to power in his game. He looks like a straight line speed rusher. If you watch his highlights from this year two things stand out: Lots of plays where he's just unblocked and a lot of sacks on stunts and twists where he is, again, unblocked.

Granted, I have not done a deep dive. I've watched a couple of his game breakdowns and watched Alabama a few times. Based on the scouting reports and media I was.expecting to be wowed, but I honestly don't see what the hype is about.

Now Jalen Carter on the other hand...

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Personally? I think he can more than make up for it because he has good length and is incredibly quick, and I really dont see why he cant stand up in a wide 9 on passing downs anyway. He looks as big as Myles Garrett did coming out and he holds up on the end. Anderson will need to continue to get stronger to put together a career worth a Top-5 pick, but I think that about every DE coming out of college. You just dont see slender guys with "farmer strength" playing on DL anymore.

Fact is, though, if you bring in two big boys like Cox and Payne, our ends will be there for cleanup. Anderson's quickness will be a boon if he develops secondary moves to stay in the play as QBs move out of the pocket. I'd put him at left end and be willing to move off of spending money at DE, because I already would have three horses ready to make hell for Rodgers, Kirk, and whatever failure lines up in Detroit.

Think he’s supposed to be 30 pounds lighter than Garrett

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Someone I forgot to mention is Bryce Huff. He's an RFA, but man, I'd love to poach him from the Jets.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Oh dang I just looked it up. My memory on this one was way off. I remembered him being more slender.

Murphy, Wilson and Foskey look to have the traditional 4-3 end build in this draft.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Looking at pass rush win rate of edge with over 100 pass rush snaps. Trevis Gipson is 79th edge in the league. AQD is 120th and Dominique Robinson is 122nd. Justin Jones is 77th DL. By that metric, Gipson and Jones MIGHT be rotational guys. The others need to step it up or get replaced.

What is Davenport?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Oh dang I just looked it up. My memory on this one was way off. I remembered him being more slender.

More like Mack. Mack was 6-3 and 250 so undersized a bit for a 4-3 but country strong so could still hold his own in a 4-3.

Anderson is 6-4 and 245 but also seems ro be freakishly strong for his size yo go with his speed.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Fix the middle with Payne, edge rushers will become better. I would like Anderson though, can’t teach rushing the passer.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
What is Davenport?
18th edge. 19% win rate. Trevis is 11.7%. Al-Quadin is 7.1%. Robinson is 6.5%.

I know you know this as I've seen you dive deeper on some of these somewhat subjective stats before, but for everyone else, this type of stat can really change depending on who is doing the analysis. For instance ESPN has Josh Sweat with a 26% pass rush win rate, edge 3 in their rankings of that stat. PFF has him with a 17.5% pass rush win rate, 24th in that stat. So the kids doing the grading can definitely see things differently (or have different definitions of "pass rush win"), but when you get to 120th edge in the league, that's not a good thing even if you bake in all the variance of who is doing the grading.

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
Signing Daron Payne & Marcus Davenport would be massive upgrades to the Bears defensive line.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder if Anderson fits as a 4-3 end at his size?

I’m curious to hear what the draftniks say about that over the coming months. I have no idea personally.

I’ve heard one analyst state he could be like the next Von Miller. I haven’t heard he’s a boom or bust type talent as much as I have heard generational. (I’m curious what the combine will do it his ratings)

That’s pretty high praise, and if close, would be an awesome pairing with Payne… who has to be the Bear’s top priority in FA.

Last edited:

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I’ve heard one analyst state he could be like the next Von Miller. I haven’t heard he’s a boom or bust type talent as much as I have heard generational. (I’m curious what the combine will do it his ratings)

That’s pretty high praise, and if close, would be an awesome pairing with Payne… who has to be the Bear’s top priority in FA.

They say that shit every year about someone. ?‍♂️

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I’ve noticed when Robinson gets in position to win on the outside shoulder of an OT, I’m not seeing the natural bend and ankle flexion required to finish. He’s raw and needs to work on his strength, pass rush moves and flexibility.

He’s getting valuable reps. He has to convert some of those reps to build some momentum going into the off-season.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Bears cannot afford gambles on high $$$ players. I’d stay far away from Davenport and would much rather go after the more consistent and reliable DE in Yannick.