Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Bears cannot afford gambles on high $$$ players. I’d stay far away from Davenport and would much rather go after the more consistent and reliable DE in Yannick.
This team in a very literal sense can afford to gamble on high dollar players.

What the team cannot afford to do is waste time and roster spots. But the amount of long term money currently obligated is astounding.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
This team in a very literal sense can afford to gamble on high dollar players.

What the team cannot afford to do is waste time and roster spots. But the amount of long term money currently obligated is astounding.

Right. You know what I meant

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats

baredown

Liked Posts:
Cons: Can't stay healthy. Doesn't get a lot of sacks.
That pretty much sums things up for me on Davenport. He’s a bad fit for where the Bears are right now. He’s a roll-the-dice type of risk for a team that believes it’s only a defensive piece or two away from making a run at the SuperBowl. That’s not the Bears. The earliest the Bears will even be playoff contenders is 2024, which optimistically assumes a great 2023 draft AND immediate help from the 2024 draft. The D-line positions are a bit like QB, in the sense that you really need to draft & develop them. NFL teams hang on to their DL talent, unless their production/cost ratio gets out of hand. And that basically describes what Davenport is as a FA…

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It's pretty thin pickings for edge defenders in FA. Curious what people think about Davenport.

Pros: Very good all around DE. Generates pressure. Good against the run. Still young(26)

Cons: Can't stay healthy. Doesn't get a lot of sacks.

Davenport feels like one of the bigger free agent gambles. He's going to be overpaid since the FA is so thin. If he's healthy, he's one of the better all around DEs and would look great opposite a dynamic rookie edge rusher, until he inevitably gets hurt.

Thoughts?
There's one dominant edge rusher in this class, and that's Will Anderson Jr. Do you want the Bears to stand pat and draft him or do you want the Bears to trade back and hope one of the other guy pans out? The talent in this year's drop is a lot of cross your fingers and hope that they can develop.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I wouldn’t commit on a multi year deal.

But if he doesn’t get that then maybe a short one/two year “prove it” deal. It could be at a high dollar amount. My issue is simply getting locked into 4 years with the guy.

Talent is there. Health and consistency is not.
Agreed.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I do like them, but I agree.

I wouldn't hate if one of them started next year while they added another starter and drafted another rotational edge rusher. I have no idea if they'll be interested in Davenport, Clowney or Ngakoue...but they'll have to address the edge in FA at some capacity.

I agree with the earlier notion on kicking the tires on Davenport on an expensive 'prove it deal' for one or two years if they could pull it off. My only issue with that idea is I don't see how it would be appealing to Davenport to come to Chicago when plenty of teams will line up to offer Davenport a short deal.
Clowney is a clown always injured, getting older and little impact.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Clowney is a clown always injured, getting older and little impact.
Uh oh, people are starting to realize that the 2023 free agency class is full of hot garbage. The Bears have $121-million to spend and one of the best edge rushers available may be Marcus Davenport?

Strange things are afoot.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Honestly I think he's incredibly over rated. I see comparisons to Von Miller and Mack but from what I've seen he looks nothing like them. Biggest thing is his lack of fluidity/tight hips and there's no speed to power in his game. He looks like a straight line speed rusher. If you watch his highlights from this year two things stand out: Lots of plays where he's just unblocked and a lot of sacks on stunts and twists where he is, again, unblocked.

Granted, I have not done a deep dive. I've watched a couple of his game breakdowns and watched Alabama a few times. Based on the scouting reports and media I was.expecting to be wowed, but I honestly don't see what the hype is about.

Now Jalen Carter on the other hand...
I pretty much agree.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Uh oh, people are starting to realize that the 2023 free agency class is full of hot garbage. The Bears have $121-million to spend and one of the best edge rushers available may be Marcus Davenport?

Yes and I was criticized for starting a thread on the fact the FA market stinks and we have a lot of $$'s to spend, some to meet the minimum.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yes and I was criticized for starting a thread on the fact the FA market stinks and we have a lot of $$'s to spend, some to meet the minimum.
You'll find out that because Justin Fields has six rushes for over 50-yards in a season and because he's challenging for the NFL record for most rushing yards by a QB that Bears fans think a lot of stupid things related to the draft and free agency.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Honestly I think he's incredibly over rated. I see comparisons to Von Miller and Mack but from what I've seen he looks nothing like them. Biggest thing is his lack of fluidity/tight hips and there's no speed to power in his game. He looks like a straight line speed rusher. If you watch his highlights from this year two things stand out: Lots of plays where he's just unblocked and a lot of sacks on stunts and twists where he is, again, unblocked.

Granted, I have not done a deep dive. I've watched a couple of his game breakdowns and watched Alabama a few times. Based on the scouting reports and media I was.expecting to be wowed, but I honestly don't see what the hype is about.

Now Jalen Carter on the other hand...
I absolutely agree. I haven’t done a deep dive either. I do that more after the season, but, from the games I’ve watched, he’s a speed dude.

On the other hand, Jalen Carter is a transcendent talent that, should he be available when the Bears pick, and they don’t trade back, nobody would be upset.

Anderson? His ass has question marks. We should NOT draft a dude with our top pick that has a question mark. If it is Anderson there, we insta trade back and take what we can get. Let somebody else draft a speed dude undersized 3-4 OLB. Yes, Gabriel and other voices I trust say he can translate at the next level, but they alls say “despite his size” or “he can put on weight” for a top 5 pick, you want that dude to rock as is.

Carter is all day every day. Anderson is if we can trade back and still get.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
18th edge. 19% win rate. Trevis is 11.7%. Al-Quadin is 7.1%. Robinson is 6.5%.

I know you know this as I've seen you dive deeper on some of these somewhat subjective stats before, but for everyone else, this type of stat can really change depending on who is doing the analysis. For instance ESPN has Josh Sweat with a 26% pass rush win rate, edge 3 in their rankings of that stat. PFF has him with a 17.5% pass rush win rate, 24th in that stat. So the kids doing the grading can definitely see things differently (or have different definitions of "pass rush win"), but when you get to 120th edge in the league, that's not a good thing even if you bake in all the variance of who is doing the grading.

I see 26% on PFF as well but not sure if they measure it the exact same way. ESPN is based on beating your block in 2.5 seconds or under.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
There's one dominant edge rusher in this class, and that's Will Anderson Jr. Do you want the Bears to stand pat and draft him or do you want the Bears to trade back and hope one of the other guy pans out? The talent in this year's drop is a lot of cross your fingers and hope that they can develop.

If they don't trade down Jalen Carter. He is a vastly superior prospect imo to Anderson, and 3-technique is the engine of this defense.

I think there are a number of intriguing edge rushers. I'm not sold on Anderson. Murphy intrigues me. As does B.J. Ujalari. A couple others as well.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I absolutely agree. I haven’t done a deep dive either. I do that more after the season, but, from the games I’ve watched, he’s a speed dude.

On the other hand, Jalen Carter is a transcendent talent that, should he be available when the Bears pick, and they don’t trade back, nobody would be upset.

Anderson? His ass has question marks. We should NOT draft a dude with our top pick that has a question mark. If it is Anderson there, we insta trade back and take what we can get. Let somebody else draft a speed dude undersized 3-4 OLB. Yes, Gabriel and other voices I trust say he can translate at the next level, but they alls say “despite his size” or “he can put on weight” for a top 5 pick, you want that dude to rock as is.

Carter is all day every day. Anderson is if we can trade back and still get.

Agreed. Carter is what I want from a top 5 pick.

napo55

Liked Posts:

Yet the Bears couldn't find a way to sign Roquan Smith, a brilliant young LB who is just coming into his prime. Today he had an an amazing interception and a sack and according to the announcer, a "Hall of Fame " game.

The true test will be how Pace uses the dollars he saved in letting Roquan go. Do you really think he will find a better player?

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yet the Bears couldn't find a way to sign Roquan Smith, a brilliant young LB who is just coming into his prime. Today he had an an amazing interception and a sack and according to the announcer, a "Hall of Fame " game.

The true test will be how Pace uses the dollars he saved in letting Roquan go. Do you really think he will find a better player?
out of the top-25 free agents who should the Bears target?