Bears need to upgrade the back up QB next year

fridges fatboys

Liked Posts:
I really don't want to ever turn a Bears game on and see Nathan Peterman behind center ever. We all know he is a weak armed bad QB. I would rather throw in a rookie than watch him. I know Simien is the back up but also don't want to see him. With as much money as they have, they need an upgrade since the there is a high likelihood that Justin will miss some time. They should follow the Ravens blueprint of filling the back up with an athletic QB that can run so you don't have to change the playbook much. Tyler Huntley is a free agent next year and would be cheap and be able to win some games.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
They're not competing for anything of substance in '23 barring an insane off-season. Somewhere in the back end of the draft they should take a QB that they can hopefully develop down the line. If Fields cant play then they're fkd anyways.

and Siemian is a fine backup on a team that isn't completely depleted everywhere.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Siemian is a good backup imo
They should replace Peterman with a projectable youngster though in the 3rd string.

I concur and like the combination of ideas here.

Good post OP. I agree with 3 rostered QBs and that one should be able to run the same plays as Justin.
That guy is actually your active game day QB2…while Siemen is for a full week of preparation.

You don’t want to rush a guy like Siemen prematurely without a game script.

Better to delay gratification to get more out of him than risk an unprotected QB with o-line having to shift entire strategy.

Last edited:

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Lol Simian signed for 2 years 4 mil total.

He’s not going anywhere.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
They're not competing for anything of substance in '23 barring an insane off-season. Somewhere in the back end of the draft they should take a QB that they can hopefully develop down the line. If Fields cant play then they're fkd anyways.

and Siemian is a fine backup on a team that isn't completely depleted everywhere.
When can we have expectations of a competitive team? When Fields leaves for greener pastures?

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I really don't want to ever turn a Bears game on and see Nathan Peterman behind center ever. We all know he is a weak armed bad QB. I would rather throw in a rookie than watch him. I know Simien is the back up but also don't want to see him. With as much money as they have, they need an upgrade since the there is a high likelihood that Justin will miss some time. They should follow the Ravens blueprint of filling the back up with an athletic QB that can run so you don't have to change the playbook much. Tyler Huntley is a free agent next year and would be cheap and be able to win some games.
great idea, agree. If Nix had declared he would have been perfect in mid-late round.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Your backup should have similar traits as your starting quarterback. The Bears don’t have that. Semien and Pederman are nothing like Fields in terms of play style.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Tyler Huntley would be a solid back up to JF IMO.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Your backup should have similar traits as your starting quarterback. The Bears don’t have that. Semien and Pederman are nothing like Fields in terms of play style.
So, I have always disagreed with this opinion. I think I want a QB the exact opposite of Fields as his backup. Your backup isn't going to be as good as Fields at anything, so what's the point of being the same offense, but worse at it? Everyone points to the Ravens, but conveniently leave out that Huntley went 1-3 as a starter last year and they had the 1 seed in the AFC when he took over the job. He's 2-1 this year, but they average a full TD less per game with Huntley in there. Despite him being a 4th pro bowl alternate, he's nowhere near as good as Lamar.

If Fields is going to be hurt long-term, you're screwed anyway. You're going to lose a lot of games. If he's hurt short term though, you have a chance to catch a team by surprise by throwing out all of their scouting reports, films and changing your tendencies. For example, Fields likes to hold onto the ball, throw the ball deep and is a run threat. You throw in a guy like Siemien and now the defense has to adjust to a guy that's going to get the ball out quick like he did the 1st drive vs the Jets. I get the argument about not changing the playbook, but this is the NFL. Every team has 100s if not 1000s of plays. The concepts are all similar. I think there's much more value in a game or two with running a completely different offense, and letting your playmakers adjust on the fly instead of trying to run the same stuff the defense is prepared for from watching film, but with a lesser player running it.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
So, I have always disagreed with this opinion. I think I want a QB the exact opposite of Fields as his backup. Your backup isn't going to be as good as Fields at anything, so what's the point of being the same offense, but worse at it? Everyone points to the Ravens, but conveniently leave out that Huntley went 1-3 as a starter last year and they had the 1 seed in the AFC when he took over the job. He's 2-1 this year, but they average a full TD less per game with Huntley in there. Despite him being a 4th pro bowl alternate, he's nowhere near as good as Lamar.

If Fields is going to be hurt long-term, you're screwed anyway. You're going to lose a lot of games. If he's hurt short term though, you have a chance to catch a team by surprise by throwing out all of their scouting reports, films and changing your tendencies. For example, Fields likes to hold onto the ball, throw the ball deep and is a run threat. You throw in a guy like Siemien and now the defense has to adjust to a guy that's going to get the ball out quick like he did the 1st drive vs the Jets. I get the argument about not changing the playbook, but this is the NFL. Every team has 100s if not 1000s of plays. The concepts are all similar. I think there's much more value in a game or two with running a completely different offense, and letting your playmakers adjust on the fly instead of trying to run the same stuff the defense is prepared for from watching film, but with a lesser player running it.
I respect you, but changing the entire offense in 7 days (or mid-game) with a backup QB isn’t a recipe for success.

Truth be told, you’ve got problems regardless if your backup QB is out there, so it’s fair to say maybe it doesn’t truly matter much.

Bust

Liked Posts:

what if Will Levis falls to the bears with one of their 2 first round picks??? Does Poles pull the trigger???

Dude has a quick wrist release.

mecha

Liked Posts:
if you're down to your backup quarterback the season's over