Is Jaylon Jones Poles next UDFA GEM

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Obviously kyler Gordon has really stepped up his game but with Jaylon Johnson being injured Jaylon Jones has gotten more reps.

Jones initially got ST reps, but he seems to have outplayed Vildor and has worked his way into the starting roster.

He has looked pretty good imo for a UDFA and is developing into a starter. He could very well develop into the 3rd CB and start alongside Johnson if the intent is to play gordon at the nickel.

This guy is my early #calledit for most under appreciated bear on the roster and most improved player going into next year.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Has looked better as of late but Poles should still sign a vet and draft a mid-rounder to late rounder.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Obviously kyler Gordon has really stepped up his game but with Jaylon Johnson being injured Jaylon Jones has gotten more reps.

Jones initially got ST reps, but he seems to have outplayed Vildor and has worked his way into the starting roster.

He has looked pretty good imo for a UDFA and is developing into a starter. He could very well develop into the 3rd CB and start alongside Johnson if the intent is to play gordon at the nickel.

This guy is my early #calledit for most under appreciated bear on the roster and most improved player going into next year.

Alll the db's have been pleasantly surprising. Honestly, the biggest bum of the bunch lately has been brisker missing tackles and taking shitty pursuit lanes.

Hard to evaluate corners on this team since there is usually zero pressure on most plays. Guess the benefit of having such a sheit team is you find gems who may not ever have gotten a true NFL shot due to draft position/size/speed/strength, whatever. Sandbjorn and JJ are perfect examples of those.

I'd still like to see them make a run at Jamel Dean tho. Think having Jaylon Jones as your #4 would be ideal.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Lots of early disrespect going on in here rn. Should the bears have benched kyler Gordon after his pathetic first 8 weeks as a bear??

msadows

Liked Posts:
I never get caught up on guys who look halfway decent for short stretches. But he at least looks better than Vildor so at least there's somewhat of an upgrade there but you need better.

He's played over 50% of the snaps in 8 games now. Not super short stretch, but I get it. Prob gonna outrep vildor by EOY.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Corner is one of those positions that usually really struggle early on. This guy has not gone FULL sanborn yet but it could be coming.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Yeah, Jones and Blackwell both look decent. But they should be backups on paper to start next year. Basically the Bears should have a similar approach to the DB room as they did last year. Brought in a vet in Tavon Young, that didn't work out, but now with more money, they can bring in a guy a notch or two above him as a player. Then they can bring in a draft pick, a notch or two below Gordon.

Johnson
Gordon
Veteran FA

Rookie 3rd or 4th round pick
Jones
Blackwell

That's a solid DB room with a mix of talent and upside. And it's otherwise cheap unless Johnson re-signs, so you can go pretty decent sized money on the FA CB.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Yeah, Jones and Blackwell both look decent. But they should be backups on paper to start next year. Basically the Bears should have a similar approach to the DB room as they did last year. Brought in a vet in Tavon Young, that didn't work out, but now with more money, they can bring in a guy a notch or two above him as a player. Then they can bring in a draft pick, a notch or two below Gordon.

Johnson
Gordon
Veteran FA

Rookie 3rd or 4th round pick
Jones
Blackwell

That's a solid DB room with a mix of talent and upside. And it's otherwise cheap unless Johnson re-signs, so you can go pretty decent sized money on the FA CB.
I agree with bringing more in but depending how Jones looks these last two weeks I’m pencilling him in as the starter.

If Johnson is out and Jones is playing a major role and looks good, I’m not spending moderate money in FA on a DB. I’m writing Johnson a big check.

If Jones looks really bad then that’s something else, but the last few weeks he has not been a guy the other team just picks on as a weak link rep after rep.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
He's played over 50% of the snaps in 8 games now. Not super short stretch, but I get it. Prob gonna outrep vildor by EOY.
and for much of that he wasn't good

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Like any rookie DB regardless of draft position. Jaylon Johnson didn’t look good as a rookie. Kyle fuller. The list goes on.
Right, im not trying to say he wont be good. Was simply explaining to @msadows why i said "short stretch" of decent play.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Jones and Blackwell, you do not notice either of them much giving up huge plays. For castoff pickups and a UDFA, that would be great if they can get better