**OFFICAIL** Regular Season News & Scheisse - FTO : THREAD DERAILING PROHIBITED***

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Trying to get comp picks when the team is talent deficient makes zero sense.

We argued about this a lot last off-season. I was pissed they lost out on comp picks because of the free agents they signed.

And I think I’ve been proven right. None of the free agents signed have contributed in a meaningful way. Any improvement or hope is from young players. Poles would have better served the team by not signing free agents until after the deadline to affect comp picks. They lost several picks by signing useless vets and STILL may have the worst record in the league.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Are you complaining about late round picks? I mean the rams poached one of those.

Late round picks and the draft in general are all darts
Edit: he also seemed to have hit on both 2nd round picks. This secondary could shape out to being good with Jaylon jones potentially being a starter. Also sanborn.

Throw enough darts and you hit a bullseye every once in a while.

Bears_Almighty

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  2. North Carolina Tar Heels
Last edited:

wonky73

Las Vegas Sorts News
Liked Posts:
Mel must be on drugs to think that Levis is better than Young or Stroud. Has he commented anywhere about why he has Levis #1?
Update: found a clip from Dec 9th he says that Levis plays in a pro-style offense and was beat up this year. Yeah he's not the top qb but hey hype the hell out of him lol
One thing to remember about these "experts" many of them had Trubisky as the best QB in his class.

Only true football geniuses had him with a fourth round grade :)

Last edited:

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I don't get this.

Is Levis really better than Young?

Legit question since I haven't watched either. But Young seems to have had absurd production compared to Levis. wtf?
Here’s something you can put out if somebody asks:

Because I have not seen it noted here: Levis was hurt for most of the past season.​

I am a Kentucky fan that honestly has no idea how good Levis will do in the NFL. I have mostly given up on guessing which top QB's will make it and which won't. This is not a defense of Levis, just a point in the conversation.
No one seems to mention outside of local media that Levis was hurt pretty bad all season. In a recent interview, he mentioned said he couldn't run through the week and only could move on Saturdays because of the shots. Plus, he had a shoulder injury and a finger injury that impacted him at times. They removed all QB runs from the playbook and limited calls that would take him out of the pocket.
These mobility limiting injuries combined with a horrendous offensive line and inept play calling really hurt Levis's year and especially his stats. So, the stat comparisons I keep seeing on this subreddit are ultimately unhelpful.
Levis has elite traits and was a great leader that gave his all while at Kentucky. Will that transfer to the NFL? I don't know. But I do know looking at his stats in a vacuum is silly.

Source:
Remember, he’s really really the goodz. Big arm. He was hurt but he’ll heal by the seasons, cross my heart and all that. Intangiblezzzzz.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I don't get this.

Is Levis really better than Young?

Legit question since I haven't watched either. But Young seems to have had absurd production compared to Levis. wtf?
Dunno but with QBs it seems like the league focuses much more on potential rather than production as opposed to other positional prospects.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
One thing to remember about these "experts" many of them had Trubisky as the best QB in his class.

Only true football geniuses had him with a fourth round grade on him :)
But not this early nordid most projections have any going at the top of 1 that Dec. QB is hard. It could happen with that quick release but Stroud is also a pocket guy with a great arm etc. They could go in any order come April.

Less than 1/2 of 1st round QBs are destinations. The pro style thing is overrated. That said, I also like a good pocket passer but you can't teach avoidance or branes. You can get scramblers to stay home if they have a brane.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Exactly.

Bad teams don’t do this.

What the fuck is difficult about

1. Buying 6 FAs this year
2. Buying zero FAs next year.

Vs

1. Buying 3 this year.
2. Buying 3 next year.

In both cases you have bought 6 fa’s and helped your team.

In the first scenario you are given 3 comp picks for something that took almost no thought or effort at all.

You guys can’t possibly be too stupid to understand this which is why I don’t even take you serious.

Just idiot trolls of chaos destroying earth with your poison.

If that’s who you choose to be. Congrats.
I wrote a lot …. Jeez comp picks give me a viagara hard on I can’t manage.

But this is the easy to understand cliff notes on how to begin.

There is more to it with trades and contract terms and values and getting into all that…

But please just time your exiting contracts with free agency pauses you planned for and acquired needs via other means.

It won’t hurt and the league gives you mother fucking extra draft picks.

The system is total bullshit and should have been abolished years ago. It actually doesn’t even make sense for it’s intention in conjunction with a salary floor and cap.

But if it’s there you have to exploit it to compete in this NFL because most of the league is doing it.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't get this.

Why does it seem like people are down on Stroud?

Legit question since I haven't watched them. But doesn't Stroud have like astronomical production? Like way better than Levis or Young? wtf?
Stroud does have the best numbers this year, but Young was better than him last year. Stroud probably also gets points taken away since he has played with likely 5 1st round WRs over the last 2 years. Young did have a 1st rounder last year (who ironically came from Ohio St beforehand) and he had Metchie who was borderline 1st before ACL injury, but the talent around him was much lesser this year.

I think what hurts Stroud is his ability under pressure. I don't have the numbers, but he doesn't seem to have the off-platform plays that Young has. Like when Stroud's first or 2nd read isn't there, he's not going to run around, buy time, and throw someone open. Stroud seems to struggle when pressured or when he doesn't have a WR schemed wide open. Whereas Young, has shown he can make a play when he has to. Levis is basically just a prototype. He's big, strong arm, and he is mobile though not a runner. While he won't create off-platform plays, he does have the ability to stand in the pocket til the last second and take a hit that the other two can't.

Young- has shown it all, but is small
Levis- has shown some, but is big
Stroud- has shown some, but supporting cast and scheme help him by far the most

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Only true football geniuses had him with a fourth round grade on him :)
But not this early. It was considered a bad class with no sure things

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We argued about this a lot last off-season. I was pissed they lost out on comp picks because of the free agents they signed.

And I think I’ve been proven right. None of the free agents signed have contributed in a meaningful way. Any improvement or hope is from young players. Poles would have better served the team by not signing free agents until after the deadline to affect comp picks. They lost several picks by signing useless vets and STILL may have the worst record in the league.

You think the Bears should wait until after June 1 to spend 120m? Again it makes no sense in the context of the Bears current situation.

As for last year, I still disagree. When you actually have talent you can take a less talented player for comp pick reasons but that is not a good approach IMO when you are as talent deficient as the Bears are. The result was poor but the process was correct.

He took Pringle because he deemed him the more talented player at the time and a better fit for what he was trying to build. Players arent as interchangeable to GMs and coaches as fans like to pretend. We will switch to comp mode when the roster is good enough that we arent in massive buy mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.