**OFFICAIL** Regular Season News & Scheisse - FTO : THREAD DERAILING PROHIBITED***

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You think the Bears should wait until after June 1 to spend 120m? Again it makes no sense in the context of the Bears current situation.

As for last year, I still disagree. When you actually have talent you can take a less talented player for comp pick reasons but that is not a good approach IMO when you are as talent deficient as the Bears are. The result was poor but the process was correct.

He took Pringle because he deemed him the more talented player at the time and a better fit for what he was trying to build. Players arent as interchangeable to GMs and coaches as fans like to pretend. We will switch to comp mode when the roster is good enough that we arent in massive buy mode.

Hell no. We’re talking about last year. This year he needs to spend.

But I’d rather have an extra 4,5,6 vs any free agents signed last year.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
You think the Bears should wait until after June 1 to spend 120m? Again it makes no sense in the context of the Bears current situation.

As for last year, I still disagree. When you actually have talent you can take a less talented player for comp pick reasons but that is not a good approach IMO when you are as talent deficient as the Bears are. The result was poor but the process was correct.

He took Pringle because he deemed him the more talented player at the time and a better fit for what he was trying to build. Players arent as interchangeable to GMs and coaches as fans like to pretend. We will switch to comp mode when the roster is good enough that we arent in massive buy mode.
What was he trying to build? You are ignoring that it is now fully apparent that Poles had a complete tear down in mind. What would be the logic for signing Byron Pringle, negating a 4th round pick the next season when you always planned to tear it down even in season? How is a one year contract to Pringle "building " anything?

As for your 1st 2 sentences.
Has @BaBaBlacksheep said the Bears should wait until post June1st this next offseason? Or are you just creating a strawman?

And the Bears "current situation," is not at all like last years situation. As is now quite obvious Poles goal last offseason and this season was to strip the team to the bones and acquire draft capital. And signing Pringle( or pick any of the failed vet signings) to a 1 yr deal stripped the Bears of a 4th round comp pick.

This offseason is going to actually be about "building," and there isn't a single Bears player that they will lose that is going to be worth anything close to what the Bears lost be negating AR's comp pick, likely not a single comp pick to cancel out at all.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
Stroud does have the best numbers this year, but Young was better than him last year. Stroud probably also gets points taken away since he has played with likely 5 1st round WRs over the last 2 years. Young did have a 1st rounder last year (who ironically came from Ohio St beforehand) and he had Metchie who was borderline 1st before ACL injury, but the talent around him was much lesser this year.

I think what hurts Stroud is his ability under pressure. I don't have the numbers, but he doesn't seem to have the off-platform plays that Young has. Like when Stroud's first or 2nd read isn't there, he's not going to run around, buy time, and throw someone open. Stroud seems to struggle when pressured or when he doesn't have a WR schemed wide open. Whereas Young, has shown he can make a play when he has to. Levis is basically just a prototype. He's big, strong arm, and he is mobile though not a runner. While he won't create off-platform plays, he does have the ability to stand in the pocket til the last second and take a hit that the other two can't.

Young- has shown it all, but is small
Levis- has shown some, but is big
Stroud- has shown some, but supporting cast and scheme help him by far the most

Stroud will get an opportunity to showcase his abilities against Georgia. His performance against Michigan, however, left a lot to be desired. I imagine that altered some people's perception of him...Ohio State's schedule was comprised largely of cupcakes, and when he faced a decidedly better opponent, he floundered.

How he plays against the Dawgs will go a long way in determining his draft position, IMHO.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What was he trying to build? You are ignoring that it is now fully apparent that Poles had a complete tear down in mind. What would be the logic for signing Byron Pringle, negating a 4th round pick the next season when you always planned to tear it down even in season? How is a one year contract to Pringle "building " anything?

Has @BaBaBlacksheep said the Bears should wait until post June1st this next offseason? Or are you just creating a strawman?

And the Bears "current situation," is not at all like last years situation. As is now quite obvious Poles goal last offseason and this season was to strip the team to the bones and acquire draft capital. And signing Pringle( or pick any of the failed vet signings) to a 1 yr deal stripped the Bears of a 4th round comp pick.

This offseason is going to actually be about "building," and there isn't a single Bears player that they will lose that is going to be worth anything close to what the Bears lost be negating AR's comp pick, likely not a single comp pick to cancel out at all.

Yeah I was just talking about last season.

Bears_Almighty

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  2. North Carolina Tar Heels
Stroud will get an opportunity to showcase his abilities against Georgia. His performance against Michigan, however, left a lot to be desired. I imagine that altered some people's perception of him...Ohio State's schedule was comprised largely of cupcakes, and when he faced a decidedly better opponent, he floundered.

How he plays against the Dawgs will go a long way in determining his draft position, IMHO.
Well let's hope he balls out.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hell no. We’re talking about last year. This year he needs to spend.

But I’d rather have an extra 4,5,6 vs any free agents signed last year.

Right I was talking to Rask largely about this year as he was still advocating for trying to get comp picks this year.

The argument for comp picks last year is stronger but that is largely because guys like Pringle struggled. I am sure when Pace signed him the hope was he would establish himself as a reliable No 3 WR worthy of a 2-3 year deal.

I also think Poles didnt want to go into the draft with too many holes so couldnt just wait until June 1 with no guarantee that guys he wanted would be available.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

Good point. I'd love to see him have a huge game just to see how it affects everyone's opinions of him.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I’m not sure you’re correct. I think Poles had two purposes for this year. The primary purpose was to create a “floor”. As part of this floor, he needed to audition talent.

Pringle looked like what he’s looking for, a big slot that can block and consistently move the chains. We actually don’t have this, either as an F TE or as a Z/slot. Poles took a shot on a vet that he probably knew and had some input drafting. In that context, Pringle, donuts and all, was worth a 4th. At this point, there is a floor of talent to build on. I’m not sure Pringle is in future plans, but at least we know this due to praxis and not conjecture.

And the Bears "current situation," is not at all like last years situation. As is now quite obvious Poles goal last offseason and this season was to strip the team to the bones and acquire draft capital.

I think acquiring draft capital was a secondary purpose, primary being having a team that’ll punch a motherfucker in the jaw and never die, even when up against the top teams. He has that in spades. As far as draft capital, nope. I think Poles sees that as the price of business. For example, he took one good look at this WR draft class and, in my opinion, correctly surmised that Claypool was a better talent than the trash at X coming out this year. This is a great year for slot receivers, boundary? Not so much.

So, no, the acquiring of draft capital was secondary. Both of the D trades, especially Quin, he made in the season were finalized at the 11th hour, again, my analysis, in order to facilitate team growth on their leadership.

The primary purpose for this year was to put tougher a scrappy team of fighters that won’t die easy. Poles has not prioritized draft capital, but he will welcome it only after the prioritization of team building.
And signing Pringle( or pick any of the failed vet signings) to a 1 yr deal stripped the Bears of a 4th round comp pick.
A 4th round pick for a potential slot is fine.
I’m not sure. In hindsight, after realizing what Pringle is, I wouldn’t be surprised if they kept him a year or two more to help bring along whatever rookie slot they draft. Again, well worth a 4th. There’s a cost correlative that Poles is doing well, again, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.