Bears needs for next season and what are realistic expectations?

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Listening to the Score this AM and they are discussing all of the positions of need so I'll list some out. Let's just say, Poles better be ready to work.

- WR1
- 3 new OL starters
- 1-2* Linebackers
- 4 starting defensive lineman
- RB

Wide Receivers: It's pretty simple. Bears do not have a WR1. Mooney and Claypool I think project as WR2/3 and can be fine pieces, but these guys are basically question marks at this point. OFC can't forget about Velus Jones. He's probably not going anywhere and can be WR4 I guess. He has looked better as of late. The rest of the WRs? Who cares, any low level FA signings could replace Pringle/ESB/Harry. Personally, I like a trade down scenario where Bears pick up an extra first and use it on JSN. Fuck the injury - he has the best potential to become a bonafide WR1 in this draft imo. Bears desperatly need a Chase/Diggs/Hill/Jefferson type target.

Offensive Line: 3 new starters is being generous. It could be as much as 5, but that's impossible. Think the Bears have to roll with Braxton/Jenkins as starters going into the season. Need to replace RT, C and LG with an emphasis on C/RT. I go back and force on Whitehair. He's serviceable, but an upgrade would be nice. Think Poles can attack at least two new starters (C/LG) in FA and look to the draft for a Tackle. A Skoronski/Johnson draft pick in a trade down with JSN later on sounds good to me.

Linebackers: Probably the lowest level 'need.' I think Sanborn showed enough the Bears will bring him back as a starter. I don't think Adams or Morrow have shown anything. This position can probably be filled with a lower draft pick.

Defensive line: I don't know where to start. Need 4 starters basically. Robinson/Jones/Gipson are just rotational guys. Pace will have to hit this hard in FA to give him some flexibility in the draft. Yeah, Jalen Carter sounds great to anchor the line, but there's just too many needs on offense and since Poles basically ignored that side of the ball last year, it needs to be his main focus come draft.

RB: Monty is a FA. They could bring him back with the amount of cap space available assuming he's willing to play ball on a team friendly deal. I think he's probably seeking $10M (just a hunch) which I think Poles can do better in FA or draft a guy easily enough. Herbert is good, but horribly in pass pro. Bears need some sort of duo.

Seems like a daunting task that Poles has for himself. But being optimistic - with the Bears cap situation I don't think it's unreasonable for them to sign 4-5 starters in FA. Couple OL, couple DL, Linebacker or RB and then 8 draft picks (possibly more with a trade down). Currently have a first, second, third, 2 fourths, two fifths and a seventh. If he can hit on 3 starters in the draft at positions of need, that'll be a start.

Last edited:

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I agree with pretty much everything you said. I'd add they probably could also use a starter at NB or outside CB depending on where they slot Gordon (he should be outside realistically).

Would absolutely love a way to get Brian Branch on this team to play NB. JJ, Gordon, Branch, Brisker and EJ has all the makings of a nasty secondary

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I agree with pretty much everything you said. I'd add they probably could also use a starter at NB or outside CB depending on where they slot Gordon (he should be outside realistically).
I thought about CB as well, but ultimately decided there are bigger needs. Especially when you consider they spent 2 early picks last year on Gordon/Brisker. They have some young guys who have played okay. Johnson and Vildor (lol) will be back as well.

Another point - Flus is supposed to be a defensive guy. Is it to much to ask for him to develop 1-2 guys into starters?

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
RT, C, 3T, DE imo all need to be hit in FA. If he can hit on those 4 starters then he’d be off to a good start.

Not a good FA class for WR’s but there are upgrades to EQ, Pringle, Pettis, Harry etc.. available. Probably bring back EQ because he’s cheap and he blocks. Maybe bring in JuJu as your slot guy then you’ve got three 2/3 guys. Chark has played well as he’s gotten healthy also and Lazard knows the system and is an upgrade.

Poles is going to have to use the high pick to move around and hit on multiple picks to get this turned around quickly and sustainably.

Love the idea of moving back and taking JSN.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Fix the trenches and you will have a much improved team, even with minimal/no upgrades at RB, WR, LB.

This team is awful mostly because they have the worst oline and dline in football right now. Most of us know how it works...all the good teams dominate the trenches.

I'm hoping poles makes it a priority instead of going after someone like juju shit poopster.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
If you're David Montgomery, why would you take a "team friendly deal" to play for the Bears? Why not go to a team that actually wins games?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Fix the trenches and you will have a much improved team, even with minimal/no upgrades at RB, WR, LB.

This team is awful mostly because they have the worst oline and dline in football right now. Most of us know how it works...all the good teams dominate the trenches.

I'm hoping poles makes it a priority instead of going after someone like juju shit poopster.
That is exactly right. It always seems like smart teams like the Steelers, Patriots and Ravens invest in O and D line even though they already are strengths. Some teams just get it and some don't.

mecha

Liked Posts:

I've been saying this for years. nobody seems to care.

If you're David Montgomery, why would you take a "team friendly deal" to play for the Bears? Why not go to a team that actually wins games?
Montgomery is good by Bears standards. he might get a few kicks of the tires elsewhere but he won't be the #1 guy unless there are teams that are desperate for runners. people seem to overlook that there's a lot of teams with strong running, which demonstrates how head and shoulders Fields is over the entire league when he has a non-existent offensive line and teams know the Bears aren't throwing.

but hey, you won't see this because you're a cuntbag that likes getting abused harder by everyone else.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
That is exactly right. It always seems like smart teams like the Steelers, Patriots and Ravens invest in O and D line even though they already are strengths. Some teams just get it and some don't.
If we trade back, I want to see 3 o-linemen drafted no later than the 4th round.

These 5th round guys just don't cut it. Braxton Jones is a back-up LT.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
If we trade back, I want to see 3 o-linemen drafted no later than the 4th round.

These 5th round guys just don't cut it. Braxton Jones is a back-up LT.
I agree. We always have been a team that drafts bottom barrel of the draft tackles in the 6th and 7th rounds and magically expect them to be starters. Charles Leno was a steal but we can't expect that to happen over and over again and even he was borderline average.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
It all starts on the oline and dline for me. If they can get two legit starters for each then they had a solid offseason. And I mean legit. I don’t mean some 7th round pipe dream or some bum ass back up that supposedly would start on most teams(usually a cope for a bad pick up) pumped up by the mb homers

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
Needs? you could argue they have a need at every position but punter..

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
The bears need somewhere between 13-16 new starters combined in both sides of the ball.

That’s a ton of players to need. That takes a minimum of 2 years to achieve in a perfect scenario but more like 3 years to achieve.

That brings Fields cheap window almost to an end and then becomes much more difficult.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Because a team that wins won’t actually pay him that much. Pretty simple. He’s just a slightly above average running back that is not a home run threat. He just does everything well.

Bolek

Liked Posts:
I dont think it realistic to think that we can fix this roster in one offseason, will probably take at least another year. Sign Orlando brown to play LT (I know he has had a down year performance wise and will likely be overpaid, but the question is - who is the best OT available in FA?), Shift Braxton Jones to RT - hopefuly an offseaon of upper body strength workouts will solidify him there. Keep Teven jenkins at RG, but get a solid back up since Jenkins seems to have an issue staying on the field. Cody whitehair is ok at LG, but I think he is getting 12.5 mil this season and at OG, at this price point - he should be dominating every game, and that hasnt been the case. Get a starting C.

On DL I actually like Justin Jones, but the ret of the guys are bums. Need lotsa upgrades there. morrow and Sanborn are ol but Id add 2 quality LBs. I think DBs are fine, add a NB and get rid of Vildor. Id keep both Monty and Herbert at RB, sign Monty to 8-9 mil a year. We have so many wholes on this roster, it would be idiotic to create another one for no good reason. Need a #1 WR

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
RT, C, 3T, DE imo all need to be hit in FA. If he can hit on those 4 starters then he’d be off to a good start.

Not a good FA class for WR’s but there are upgrades to EQ, Pringle, Pettis, Harry etc.. available. Probably bring back EQ because he’s cheap and he blocks. Maybe bring in JuJu as your slot guy then you’ve got three 2/3 guys. Chark has played well as he’s gotten healthy also and Lazard knows the system and is an upgrade.

Poles is going to have to use the high pick to move around and hit on multiple picks to get this turned around quickly and sustainably.

Love the idea of moving back and taking JSN.
I want JSN!