Bears needs for next season and what are realistic expectations?

discplayer

Liked Posts:
I am in the camp of those who believe the trenches need to be targeted more so than other position groups, but I also want to keep in mind that the Bears have lost several starters to injury throughout the season. And some of those starters are solid players, ones we can slot back in and be better than we've been with backups and then backups to those backups playing, as of late.

I think Patrick will improve the OL. Braxton will be better after beefing up, improving his strength and technique. Whitehare is not great, but he's serviceable until we get a better player to replace him. Jenkins, while missing time due to injury is strong and athletic. While he may go down to injury again, he's our best OL when healthy. Still wish they'd move him back to RT, but whatever.

So, I see a need for 2-3 OL this off-season. To me, that is 1 OT and 2 G (or 1 G and a C). At the very least 1 each of OT and G, and we'll see much improvement. This can come from a mix of FA and the draft.

Oh, and they did draft a couple of OL in whom they seem to see promise like J. Carter and K. Deisch. And I am fairly confident that Eiselen is a player they could develop and get more out of somewhere along the OL. The OL needs more talent, sure, but there are a couple of decent pieces already here, at least for next year.

The DL is similar. We don't need to get new players in all 4 positions. I still feel Gipson and Robinson are just green and need more time AND better players next to them. Justin Jones is OK, but that's about it. I'd like to see another veteran DT and DE brought in. The team would be much better, and it would make Jones more effective, as well.

In addition to this...
LB - add 1-2 players
WR - add 1 veteran (if not great at least better than any we've currently got) and 1 mid-late round rookie
TE - add 1 rookie or vet

So, between FA and draft, adding 7-8 new players will go a long way to getting this team on a more competitive and sustainable track. Well, that's my take, anyway.

That, and Getsy needs to get over his allergy to the middle 2/3 of the field, for cryin' out loud! His route design/concepts are driving me nuts and getting Fields killed. They take an eternity to develop and even the quick-hitters are at the boundary. He worked closely with Aaron Rodgers, watching him kill teams (esp the Bears!) with slants and quick in and wheel routes. Why is he not using that now, particularly to help his young QB out and keep him upright?!

mecha

Liked Posts:
49ers 19-10 W
@ Packers 27-10 L
Texans 23-20 W
@ Giants 20-12 L
@ Vikings 29-22 L
Commanders 12-7
@ Patriots 33-14 W
@ Cowboys 49-29 L (blowout)
Dolphins 35-32 L
Lions 31-30 L
@ Falcons 27-24 L
@ Jets 31-10 L (blowout)
Packers 28-19 L
Eagles 25-20 L
Bills 35-13 L (blowout)
@ Lions 41-10 L (blowout)

with exception of 4 blowout losses, which apparently got worse as the season progressed, with half a functioning NFL team, the 2022 Bears didn't do too horribly bad. fortify the lines and they may achieve 7 wins next season.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Because a team that wins won’t actually pay him that much. Pretty simple. He’s just a slightly above average running back that is not a home run threat. He just does everything well.
The term "team friendly deal" was stated. Why wouldn't he take a "team friendly deal" to work with the cap of a team that actually wins games?

Pretty simple.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Saying the Bears need 4 new d-linemen is an overreaction. If you were to get Payne in FA and Anderson in the draft that would upgrade the line ten fold.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Look how easy it is to get 1,000 yards rushing in the nfl these days, lol

Despite missing 2 games when Monty got rolled from behind and only having a single 100 yard game, Monty still sitting at almost 800 yards, heh

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
Sorry for the long post but I enjoy this topic. I've said for a while that I hope next year's team is picking between top 5 to top 10 simply because of how many holes this team has to fill. I don't want them to 'fix' everything in one offseason and blow all their cap space on free agents unless they're legit difference makers. Usually those guys don't reach free agency.

Top 5-10 picking in 2024, top 15-20 in 2025 (borderline playoff team) and legitimate playoff/title contenders entering the 2026 season. This team has one true playmaker and needs a slow and steady build to add through the draft and free agency to get those playmakers.

Ideally, you slightly overpay on 1 year deals for guys that are average to good but not great. If they're great and young, then go 4 year deals max with easier opt outs after years 2 and 3. This team has too much uncertainty to commit to long term pieces that aren't true difference makers given this is just the start of the rebuild.

The only positions on offense I like are QB, Rb2 (since I assume Monty will cost too much and I don't like re-signing non elite RBs), TE1 and RG (need a durable, high quality backup though). Everywhere else, they need upgrades. They desperately need a WR1 and then you can figure out whether Mooney or Claypool can be a WR2 or if they're both WR3s.

For defense, I'll be brutally honest and say they need to upgrade the entire front 7 (a high quality backup prospect to Sanborn would be ideal if they make him the starter again next year). They need a legit CB1 (I think Jaylon Johnson is a CB2) but they need to figure out whether Gordon is a long term piece so I can wait a year here. They need a high quality backup (whether through free agency or the draft) for Eddie Jackson since I assume he'll be back since he avoided surgery. So I'd say upwards of 8 of 11 spots need upgrades with an argument towards 10 depending on Jackson's health and deciding whether they still think highly of Gordon or not.

For special teams, I'm good with Gill but would love a young kicker prospect. Teams are regularly hitting 50+ yds field goals while the Bears rarely attempt them. Santos is ungodly accurate inside 40 but the distance just isn't there relative to what the standard has become for NFL kickers. Target the best available UDFA kicker (barring getting additional picks through trade downs and then drafting) and get some competition for the position.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I kinda want to come back to this after the games on Sunday because if it magically comes together that the Bears hold the number one pick the draft, it literally changes everything this offseason.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The term "team friendly deal" was stated. Why wouldn't he take a "team friendly deal" to work with the cap of a team that actually wins games?

Pretty simple.
Why do you want to move on from Fields as stated in that other thread?

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
For special teams, I'm good with Gill but would love a young kicker prospect. Teams are regularly hitting 50+ yds field goals while the Bears rarely attempt them. Santos is ungodly accurate inside 40 but the distance just isn't there relative to what the standard has become for NFL kickers. Target the best available UDFA kicker (barring getting additional picks through trade downs and then drafting) and get some competition for the position.
I totally forgot about Kicker. Agree with you that Santos has been fine, he has no range. This would be a nice upgrade

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

realistic expectations......​

I also wanna see improvement from the OL coach Chris Morgan , the wr's coachTyke Tolbert , the Qb coach, Andrew Janocko and Getsy. From player to coaching, there has to be accountability.

Beardown34

Liked Posts:
Eight new starters next year will get them a good chance to make the playoffs. The NFC is pretty bad and a 9-8 record gets you in.
On offense you need 2-3 new OL and a WR. RB could be Monty or someone similar. On Defenses you need a corner, a LB and at least 2 impactful Dlineman. These can be filled by 4 free agent starters and four drafted rookies. The following year you look for 4 additional players to fill holes not filled. 2 FAs and 2 drafted starters. Then we have a team who could go far into the playoffs.
Expect development out of the younger players (Jones, Fields, Kmet, Herbert, Mooney, Claypool, and Jenkins) on Offense and (Johnson, Gordon, Brisker, and maybe Sanborn and Robinson) on Defense.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Realistically? Probably 6-7-8 wins, but I could also see them winning the division next year and having a 10-11-12 win season if everything goes perfectly. Teams go from worst to first all the time. Nobody thought the 2001 Bears were going to win 13 games. Stranger things have happened.

That being said, this team needs almost 75% of their current starters replaced next year before you can realistically feel comfortable about where they are moving forward. At least 4, maybe 5 (depending on Jenkins' health) players on the OL need to be upgraded, all 4 positions on the DL need to be upgraded, they need at least 2 more starting LB'ers, they need a #1 WR and a true pass catching TE. You can't realistically get all that done in one off-season.

Fields made a moderate jump in performance from year 1 to year 2; he's going to have to make an even bigger jump from year 2 to year 3 if the Bears have any chance at the playoffs next season. A great QB can cover up a lot of holes. Fields was good enough this year to keep them in a lot of games they had no business being in, but now he's going to need to show you he can actually win those games. That's his next step.

If it were up to me, I would focus all of my attention to trading for a veteran #1 receiver in the off-season. DeAndre Hopkins is a name to watch, and I think you might be able to get him for a deal similar to the Amari Cooper trade last year because of his age and contract. Other names to watch out for are Tee Higgins and Mike Evans.

Getting a true #1 receiver is the most important position to fill, because it's the position that is most likely to have the largest impact on the quarterback.

Applefan

Liked Posts:
Listening to the Score this AM and they are discussing all of the positions of need so I'll list some out. Let's just say, Poles better be ready to work.

- WR1
- 3 new OL starters
- 1-2* Linebackers
- 4 starting defensive lineman
- RB

Wide Receivers: It's pretty simple. Bears do not have a WR1. Mooney and Claypool I think project as WR2/3 and can be fine pieces, but these guys are basically question marks at this point. OFC can't forget about Velus Jones. He's probably not going anywhere and can be WR4 I guess. He has looked better as of late. The rest of the WRs? Who cares, any low level FA signings could replace Pringle/ESB/Harry. Personally, I like a trade down scenario where Bears pick up an extra first and use it on JSN. Fuck the injury - he has the best potential to become a bonafide WR1 in this draft imo. Bears desperatly need a Chase/Diggs/Hill/Jefferson type target.

Offensive Line: 3 new starters is being generous. It could be as much as 5, but that's impossible. Think the Bears have to roll with Braxton/Jenkins as starters going into the season. Need to replace RT, C and LG with an emphasis on C/RT. I go back and force on Whitehair. He's serviceable, but an upgrade would be nice. Think Poles can attack at least two new starters (C/LG) in FA and look to the draft for a Tackle. A Skoronski/Johnson draft pick in a trade down with JSN later on sounds good to me.

Linebackers: Probably the lowest level 'need.' I think Sanborn showed enough the Bears will bring him back as a starter. I don't think Adams or Morrow have shown anything. This position can probably be filled with a lower draft pick.

Defensive line: I don't know where to start. Need 4 starters basically. Robinson/Jones/Gipson are just rotational guys. Pace will have to hit this hard in FA to give him some flexibility in the draft. Yeah, Jalen Carter sounds great to anchor the line, but there's just too many needs on offense and since Poles basically ignored that side of the ball last year, it needs to be his main focus come draft.

RB: Monty is a FA. They could bring him back with the amount of cap space available assuming he's willing to play ball on a team friendly deal. I think he's probably seeking $10M (just a hunch) which I think Poles can do better in FA or draft a guy easily enough. Herbert is good, but horribly in pass pro. Bears need some sort of duo.

Seems like a daunting task that Poles has for himself. But being optimistic - with the Bears cap situation I don't think it's unreasonable for them to sign 4-5 starters in FA. Couple OL, couple DL, Linebacker or RB and then 8 draft picks (possibly more with a trade down). Currently have a first, second, third, 2 fourths, two fifths and a seventh. If he can hit on 3 starters in the draft at positions of need, that'll be a start.

If you have a strong all-around team, you can get to and possibly win a Super Bowl with 'meh' wr's. See 2017/18 Eagles, Cam Newton's Panthers team that lost to Denver, most of the NY Giants SB teams.

Applefan

Liked Posts:
Realistically? Probably 6-7-8 wins, but I could also see them winning the division next year and having a 10-11-12 win season if everything goes perfectly. Teams go from worst to first all the time. Nobody thought the 2001 Bears were going to win 13 games. Stranger things have happened.

That being said, this team needs almost 75% of their current starters replaced next year before you can realistically feel comfortable about where they are moving forward. At least 4, maybe 5 (depending on Jenkins' health) players on the OL need to be upgraded, all 4 positions on the DL need to be upgraded, they need at least 2 more starting LB'ers, they need a #1 WR and a true pass catching TE. You can't realistically get all that done in one off-season.

Fields made a moderate jump in performance from year 1 to year 2; he's going to have to make an even bigger jump from year 2 to year 3 if the Bears have any chance at the playoffs next season. A great QB can cover up a lot of holes. Fields was good enough this year to keep them in a lot of games they had no business being in, but now he's going to need to show you he can actually win those games. That's his next step.

If it were up to me, I would focus all of my attention to trading for a veteran #1 receiver in the off-season. DeAndre Hopkins is a name to watch, and I think you might be able to get him for a deal similar to the Amari Cooper trade last year because of his age and contract. Other names to watch out for are Tee Higgins and Mike Evans.

Getting a true #1 receiver is the most important position to fill, because it's the position that is most likely to have the largest impact on the quarterback.

"Getting a true #1 receiver is the most important position to fill, because it's the position that is most likely to have the largest impact on the quarterback."

Matters more in the regular season than the playoffs. Since 1999/00 the Rams have been to 4 Super Bowls and are 2-2. They have averaged scoring 16 ppg with HOF or upper echelon WR talent such as :Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Ricky Proehl, Brandin Cooks, Cooper Kupp, OBJ,

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Bears will not be a playoff team next year, and those expecting it are insanely delusional. If the right moves are made in the off season this could be a 6 win team and in the bottom 10 of the nfl instead of the bottom 3.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I tuned to 670 today as well.
I'll start by saying I'm not high on Poles or Eberfluss but that is a topic for another thread. And yes I recognize it's early in their respective positions but my spidey sense is tingling on those two. I don't like the cut of their jibs.

WR- Bears needs a true #1. Even Ray Charles boinking Helen Keller doggystyle can see that. I love the trade back idea of grabbing Skrowonski for OL and hopefully JSN. I also like a two year deal for doo doo poop shitster. Hear me out on Juju. You pay the most to him first season to entice him to come. Yes, he is fringe #2. And so are Mooney and Claypool. But a guy like Juju will make thoae two better and all 3 plus a true rookie WR #1 on the field should help. Pringle, Pettis and St. Brown can all go. Don't care.

OL- trade back and draft Skrowonski. Keep Jenkens. Keep Jones. Keep Borom. I think Bernstein said it best. You keep the reliable guys. and you keep Jenkins due to the investment and it's early for him in his career. Reliability sometimes means not getting hurt all the damn time. Sign a Brown Jr and even a vet like Jason Kelce at C. Draft another late rounder and there is a start to a better oline with 4 possible new additions.

DL- Ya gotta hit free agency for DT. Daron Payne would be ideal. But there better be 5 extra plans B's. I think the draft is very top heavy at DE.

I'll go make my bitchfest thread about Poles and Eberflus now.

Last edited: