**OFFICAIL** Regular Season News & Scheisse - FTO : THREAD DERAILING PROHIBITED***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
If we can't trade out of the #1 (hard to believe) just take Anderson. Even if there are teams in the top ten that think they can sit back and take ONE of Stroud, Young, or Levi there are OTHER teams that need QBs that are farther down. The Panthers, Texans, Colts, Saints, Giants and Commanders all need QBs, that's five right there. Could be as many as eight teams that need QBs. And only 3-4 1st round QBs in the draft.
Texans?

Brownie

Liked Posts:
Hadn't read that site in a while so wanted to see if it had improved - nope. Basically said if 1 QB doesn't separate themselves from the other, there's less pressure to trade up and the Bears might stick at #1. That would be monumentally stupid to not trade down and get more picks.
I'm about 98% sure that between now and the draft, a handful of teams will get a hard on for at least a few of the QB candidates... and spread the usual info/mis-info after the combine and pro- days, which will all obviously work in our favor. ALWAYS happens.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
The only reason why I think it is more likely that the Bears target a starting RB than a starting WR is that Getsy went for a fullback. This team runs 21 personnel frequently and succeeds with it. Even if Fields becomes the next Aaron Rodgers, his offense will still identify as one that runs to open up the pass, chew up clock, and limit the defenses chances to get at the quarterback.

Getting the best RB possible just seems like a stronger choice in this regard, but I cant possibly dismiss the idea of getting a WR in the first round. Who cares if they are a slot or or wide receiver; if they get yards and touchdowns, the receiver will see the field and help win games. Let Claypool be a move receiver to switch between the slot and outside to get good matchups, anything that keeps players like Pettis from ending drives early.

This is pretty clearly a year to focus mostly on OL and DL, in both FA and the draft.
OL in the third, yes. Before that, the round value does not correlate to the talent level vs what is available at other positions.
There might be a WR with value somewhere in the second round. But I think probably the top 3-4 FA signings will be linemen.
2nd? Maybe, but this class is mostly slots and very weak.
I don't think I'm saying much new here - I think most people have been thinking that for a while.

I think there is a bunch of potential in this class, but a lot of questionable prospects.

Johnston- I'd be all over if not for Claypool. Sure they could add him early in the draft, but then you push Mooney to the slot full-time, which I don't know that the Bears want to do. If so, they wouldn't have had Pettis getting so many reps this year.

Addison is tiny. Boutte has questionable off-field stuff, which I think the Bears will stay away from. Downs and Flowers are tiny as well. Hyatt can fly, but can he run routes?

I do like Rashee Rice, Tillman, and if he declares, I really love Rome Odunze out of Washington. But they all have questions. They all may be outside guys as well (especially Tillman).

But the more I think about it, the more a guy like Smith-Njigba may be the safest WR pick in the draft. He's not a "WOW" guy, but he's solid, steady route runner, and I'm not overly concerned about his injury. He seems most likely of these guys to produce as a rookie, without being a scheme specific gadget guy.
It looks like a lot of dudes are catching up to what I’ve been saying since November: the first round OL and WR class isn’t that great. The “top rated” LT is probably a guard.

The 1st round WRs are nowhere near the talent of last year’s class, and probably the year before, and they ‘at help to contextualize why so many teams overpaid for WR this past season, as teams know better than us what to expect in a draft since they are professionals.

The best weapon we can get Fields in the first round is Bijan Robinson.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
OL in the third, yes. Before that, the round value does not correlate to the talent level vs what is available at other positions.

It looks like a lot of dudes are catching up to what I’ve been saying since November: the first round OL and WR class isn’t that great. The “top rated” LT is probably a guard.

The 1st round WRs are nowhere near the talent of last year’s class, and probably the year before, and they ‘at help to contextualize why so many teams overpaid for WR this past season, as teams know better than us what to expect in a draft since they are professionals.

You’re really gonna die on this hill huh?

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
You’re really gonna die on this hill huh?
I agree with him. I wouldn’t draft him in the top half of the first, but could see the logic if they traded down with a team for 2 1sts and used the second one on Robinson.

He’s the most complete back I’ve seen in a while, and probably would be the best pass-catcher on the team.

Arguing that they should not use a 1st round pick on a rb is one thing. But Robinson would undeniably be the biggest weapon for Fields out of all the other prospects, imo

dennehy

Liked Posts:

The round value doesn't correlate to the talent? WTF? Are you saying there's no OL worthy of a pick in R1 or R2?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I agree with him. I wouldn’t draft him in the top half of the first, but could see the logic if they traded down with a team for 2 1sts and used the second one on Robinson.

He’s the most complete back I’ve seen in a while, and probably would be the best pass-catcher on the team.

Arguing that they should not use a 1st round pick on a rb is one thing. But Robinson would undeniably be the biggest weapon for Fields out of all the other prospects, imo

I think it's bat shit crazy personally.

But I'm sure many of you have felt that way about my ideas!

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Robinson would immediately be the best slot receiver on the team, and probably the best route runner other than Mooney. He is going to be a matchup nightmare wherever ever he goes.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
The round value doesn't correlate to the talent? WTF? Are you saying there's no OL worthy of a pick in R1 or R2?
I am exactly saying there’s no, absolutely no, none, zip, nada, todos nada, OL worth our first round pick(s?) in this year. None. Not a single fucking one.

As far as second goes, the value at DL for projected second rounders is a much better correlative than OL. It’s a shitty draft for OL, unless you want a G or C in the second, and, for that positional value, I’d rather draft a UTE, WR, or DL. Shit, I’d rather draft Brian Branch in the 2nd, where he’s projected to go, than the OL projected to be there.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I am exactly saying there’s no, absolutely no, none, zip, nada, todos nada, OL worth our first round pick(s?) in this year. None. Not a single fucking one.

As far as second goes, the value at DL for projected second rounders is a much better correlative than OL. It’s a shitty draft for OL, unless you want a G or C in the second, and, for that positional value, I’d rather draft a UTE, WR, or DL. Shit, I’d rather draft Brian Branch in the 2nd, where he’s projected to go, than the OL projected to be there.
Oh yea? You wouldn't pick OL in the top 5 this year? Interesting take!

There will absolutely be OL value in the second round. Ridiculous to think otherwise. Likely there will be value at every position in the second round. You go about this like you have some ability to see how the actual draft will come out. You don't.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Oh yea? You wouldn't pick OL in the top 5 this year? Interesting take!
Awe hell no. In this draft? Top 5?!? Nope. No way. There is no top ten OL talent in this draft. The top “LT” is probably going to end up at G!
There will absolutely be OL value in the second round. Ridiculous to think otherwise. Likely there will be value at every position in the second round. You go about this like you have some ability to see how the actual draft will come out. You don't.
True. This is a valid point. Based on what we know, and from what I can understand, the way it looks to play out, the OL isn’t relative to other talent in the first two rounds.

Having said that, I believe we could probably get the T out of North Dakota in the 3rd or 4th, and he’s the closest, from what I understand, to what Poles values.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Awe hell no. In this draft? Top 5?!? Nope. No way. There is no top ten OL talent in this draft. The top “LT” is probably going to end up at G!

True. This is a valid point. Based on what we know, and from what I can understand, the way it looks to play out, the OL isn’t relative to other talent in the first two rounds.

Having said that, I believe we could probably get the T out of North Dakota in the 3rd or 4th, and he’s the closest, from what I understand, to what Poles values.
Alright. But I bet there are at least 6 OL drafted in the first two rounds.

I was being sarcastic with the first line.

Status
Not open for further replies.