Should the Bears Replace Justin Fields with the Best QB in the Draft?

Should the Bears replace Justin Fields with the best QB in the draft?

• Total voters

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

How would you approach this issue?

Do you think Fields is a franchise QB Bears can build around? Do you think Bears probably need to take a shot at a better QB in this draft?

Do you think Bears can afford draft the best QB and let him compete with Fields, and then possibly trade the other QB for more draft picks in the future?

flabear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando Magic
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tampa Bay Lightning
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide

Do you think Fields is a franchise QB Bears can build around? Do you think Bears probably need to take a shot at a better QB in this draft?

Do you think Bears can afford draft the best QB and let him compete with Fields, and then possibly trade the other QB for more draft picks in the future?
NO

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I need to know what they get for Fields if we draft a QB at 1. This staff is not tied to Fields but will be if they pass on QB. Really it comes down to if this staff believes in Fields.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hot take everyone on the Oline might need to be a target to be replaced. Jenkins will likely never play 16 games let alone 17, and Everyone else is an average guy in their spot at best. Whether they are one of the young guys we have on depth or brought in next year, none of them should be safely a starter next year.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I need to know what they get for Fields if we draft a QB at 1. This staff is not tied to Fields but will be if they pass on QB. Really it comes down to if this staff believes in Fields.
I agree.

I think Fields COULD be a franchise QB...

• I like his accuracy and he doesn't throw a lot of picks.
  • His pocket awareness has improved a lot this year.
  • Obviously, he's a top threat in the Option game... but I think we see he isn't likely to make it through the year doing record level QB Rushing.
  • His view of the field, anticipation and reading of defenses is certainly not complete, but I really couldn't say what his ceiling is. I have a positive outlook on that, for what it's worth.
  • He's fun to watch.

With the extremely rare #1 draft pick, Bears need to take a LONG look at the top QBs in the draft. They need to be looking for the next Brady, or at least the next Allen/Mahomes/etc. If they think he's in the draft, go for it.

If Bears draft the top QB they can let he and Fields battle it out. Some would want to trade him while his rookie contract is most valuable (as in trade him immediately), but I think that's the kind of ill-focused, impatient thinking that keeps you a failed franchise. Realize your franchise QB first; don't assume. If you can trade away one of your two franchise QBs, you did it right.

I know Bears need to fill lots of positions... but being a Bears fan for all these years (Grossman, Cutler) has taught me if you don't have the right QB you're just wasting your time, picks and money on everything else.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:

No.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I agree with @and 69 others 's strategy, play it up like you want a quarterback with the #1 pick. after Fields' maligned "passing" performance it's the perfect foil. get all the desperate teams lined up then!

strategically, I don't think with this opportunity the Bears have going into the offseason you blow the capital on a quarterback when it's glaringly obvious the entire rest of the offense, minus RB, is the problem. I think with another offseason of work the receiver thing can get worked out, but improving offensive line is a priority. and the defensive line too. that will elevate both sides significantly if you shore up the lines. I don't see them contending in 2023, which I guess has been alluded to by Poles, but after that offseason I think 2024 would have to be a possibility then.

if Fields doesn't work out before his deal ends, then you can blow a 1st on a quarterback then after the rest of the team is set.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You assess the top QBs no matter what, knowing full well JF is your guy. Tell the media you're considering picking a QB, make every QB needy team compete for the #1 and get the best trade available to stack up as many picks as possible.
Sure. That's the correct PR move. But in reality there isn't one QB in this draft I'd rather have than Justin Fields.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The answer is no. Trade down, accumulate picks. Assemble talent around Fields, if Poles & Co isn’t sold after year 3 then they can use the acquired draft capital from the trade down to go get their guy.

This option also helps build a better team for Fields but also for the next guy if it comes to that

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The answer is no. Trade down, accumulate picks. Assemble talent around Fields, if Poles & Co isn’t sold after year 3 then they can use the acquired draft capital from the trade down to go get their guy.

This option also helps build a better team for Fields but also for the next guy if it comes to that
Idk why people are even talking about this lately. This is 100% it.

FatRabbit

Liked Posts:
Is there any chance Bears might also be worst team next season? Can they then trade down and skip "The Next Mahomes"? I dont think so. I can see there is still chance that Poles ruin next season and trade now down to get total three 2024 first round picks(own and 2 other teams) and take Caleb Williams and trade Fields.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No.

We have too many holes to start over at QB. Beef up the team this offseason and give Fields more to work with and see what he does. If he gets much better, awesome. Keep him and keep building. If he regresses/doesn't improve/sucks, then draft his replacement and bring that QB into a better situation.

J2hotnspicyy

Liked Posts:
Let's say for whatever reason, Poles grades Bryce slightly ahead of Fields. Trade Fields right... Maybe Fields fetches you Indy's #4. You draft Jalen Carter......

Okay? Bryce Young at QB, Jalen Carter at DT - But you eliminate all the won over leadership and locker room connective tissue built through Fields, this after doing that for the defense with Roquan. That's already pretty bad. But also, now you're done in the draft. You got Young, you got Carter. But you net no additional draft picks. You have to hope Claypool is the guy for Young, that Mooney will mesh with him, etc. You are playing the longer game, and expect next year to be top-10 pick again.

It doesn't feel like you are maximizing value in that scenario. Now if you spin Bryce into Texans # 2 and #12, a 3rd/4th rounder, maybe a 2nd from Colts when you trade back from #2 to #4. Now you still get Carter... but you get additional first rounder this year (#12), some later round, possibly an additional second. That is major draft value you can build with now. More draft value, and better locker room culture. Throw in Bryce being undersized. I don't see the logic in it

norton63

Liked Posts:
Let's say for whatever reason, Poles grades Bryce slightly ahead of Fields. Trade Fields right... Maybe Fields fetches you Indy's #4. You draft Jalen Carter......

Okay? Bryce Young at QB, Jalen Carter at DT - But you eliminate all the won over leadership and locker room connective tissue built through Fields, this after doing that for the defense with Roquan. That's already pretty bad. But also, now you're done in the draft. You got Young, you got Carter. But you net no additional draft picks. You have to hope Claypool is the guy for Young, that Mooney will mesh with him, etc. You are playing the longer game, and expect next year to be top-10 pick again.

It doesn't feel like you are maximizing value in that scenario. Now if you spin Bryce into Texans # 2 and #12, a 3rd/4th rounder, maybe a 2nd from Colts when you trade back from #2 to #4. Now you still get Carter... but you get additional first rounder this year (#12), some later round, possibly an additional second. That is major draft value you can build with now. More draft value, and better locker room culture. Throw in Bryce being undersized. I don't see the logic in it
Carter will be a bust, he sucks.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:

Yeah, hearing some interviews with the players leaving on Monday, trading Smith, really angered a lot of the team. So, you really want to follow that by sending Fields packing?

You're not gonna make players want to play for the Bears. Makes it feel like you can bust you butt for Poles and he will just send you packing for a extra draft pick.

Also, Young and Carter will likely be solid players, but how does having the worst O-Line in the league help Young?

The one piece on the team that was any fun to watch was Fields. He turned a dreadful offense to watch from the last three seasons into one I hope to see more of. I know injuries kind of took them down a peg in the final 4-6 games, but when Fields may be the long term fix at QB we have all wanted.

Too many people just want to see the Bears back on the QB carousel I guess.

Forty-six

Liked Posts:
In no way should the Bears draft a QB this year. I don't think either QB prospect this year is an upgrade over Fields. 2024 is a different story as there will be two potential superstar QB's in that draft.