Mock Offseason - Build the Trenches (v2)

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
Build the trenches! It’s become more and more obvious to me that the key to a good offensive line is DEPTH, because there are so many injuries throughout the season. With no clear cut WR1 available (besides an aging Hopkins), the Bears will need to find some bridge guys to help with Fields’ development. The days of Pettis, Harry, or Pringle getting extended reps needs to be over. This mock offseason doesn’t fill every hole – there are simply too many – but it does lay a good foundation and the Bears still have plenty of cap space to front load contract extensions for Cole Kmet and Jaylon Johnson to be better positioned in the future.

Justin Fields / Trevor Siemian
Zach Evans (3) / Khalil Herbert / Trestan Ebner

Khari Blasingame

Braxton Jones / Riley Reiff (FA)
Cody Whitehair / Cody Mauch (2)
Bradley Bozeman (FA)
/ Lucas Patrick
Teven Jenkins / Alex Leatherwood
Mike McGlinchey (FA) / Larry Borom

Cole Kmet / Sam LaPorta (3)

Chase Claypool / DJ Chark (FA)
Parris Campbell (FA)
/ Velus Jones Jr.
Darnell Mooney / Equanimeous St. Brown

Charles Omenihi (FA) / Dom Robinson
Daron Payne (FA) / Justin Jones
Jalen Carter (1) / Michael Pennell Jr.
Andre Carter II (2) / Trevis Gipson / Al-Quadin Mohammed

Devin Bush (FA) / Sterling Weatherford
Jack Sanborn / Tommy Eichenburg (4)
Nick Morrow (FA)
/ Owen Pappoe (5)

Jaylon Johnson / Jaylon Jones / Josh Blackwell
Kyler Gordon / Lamar Jackson
Kindle Vildor / Julius Brents (5)

Eddie Jackson / Ashtyn Davis (FA) / Elijah Hicks
Jaquon Brisker / DHC / Ronnie Hillman (7)

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
Here is how we got there…

FREE AGENCY:

Da’Ron Payne (DT)
One of the best young defensive linemen in the NFL. The Bears defensive line has been brutal all season – this signing is a no-brainer.

Bradley Bozeman (OL)
Lucas Patrick is an excellent depth piece with versatility, but he has no business as a starter. Bradley Bozeman has been one of the BEST interior offensive lineman in the NFL with a 73.8 pass-block grade (2nd best center) and 81.7 run-block grade (3rd best center).

Mike McGlinchey (OT)
An upgrade at RT who has played in a similar offensive system and has multiple friends/former teammates from college on the roster, to help pull him away from the 49ers.

Parris Campbell (WR)
Campbell proved he could stay healthy throughout an entire season after struggling with injuries early in his career. He has ELITE game breaking speed (4.31) and would be an excellent young WR to poach from the Colts. Fields might need to recruit the former Ohio State Buckeye to leave Indy.

DJ Chark (WR)
A vertical WR with excellent size (6’4), speed (4.34), and skill set to compliment a team that uses a lot of play action. Finally, a WR that Fields can utilize his deep ball with!

Charles Omenihi (DE)
A long (36” arms) and athletic edge defender that is just starting to reach his potential. Although he failed to get a lot of sacks this season (4.5), he had a pressure rate of 13.6%, which placed him in the top half of the league for players with at least 100 pass-rushing snaps.

Devin Bush (LB)
The former top 10 draft pick has struggled with injuries early in his career and could use a change of scenery. A good buy-low signing that could result into a quality starter or compensatory pick.

Ashtyn Davis (S)
Has outstanding athleticism but has struggled to stay healthy. A depth signing that could learn behind Eddie Jackson and develop into a future piece. Low risk – high reward signing.

TRADE DOWN IN DRAFT:

Chicago Bears Receive:
#4 (1,800), #35 (550), #79 (195), 2024 1st (550), & 2024 3rd (84)

Total Points: 3,179

Chicago Bears Trade:
#1 (3,000), #102 (92), & 2024 4th (92)

Total Points: 3,184

DRAFT:

1st Round – Jalen Carter (DT)
Jalen Carter is a generational talent at tackle that teams will have to scheme around. He can stop the run and collapse the pocket.

2nd Round – Andre Carter II (DE)
Eberflus loves LONG and FAST athletes on the edge. Andre Carter II had a similarly dominant season as Will Anderson in 2021. Gives the Bulls an excellent leader in the locker room with his Army background.

2nd Round – Cody Mauch (OL)
Has outstanding mobility and plays with a NASTINESS you want from an offensive lineman.

3rd Round – Zach Evans (RB)
Zach Evans is getting slept on. A former 5-star recruit, that has outstanding athleticism and the speed needed to give the Bears more explosive runs.

3rd Round – Sam LaPorta (TE)
Has unusual WIGGLE for a tight end that leads to a ton of broken tackles. An excellent receiving tight end.

4th Round – Tommy Eichenberg (LB)
An athletic and smart linebacker that could compete for a starting role.

5th Round – Julius Brents (CB)
Julius Brent is one of my sleepers in this draft class that has outstanding size (6’4) for the position. LOVE his attitude and has no problem lowering his shoulder for some devastating hits.

5th Round – Owen Pappoe (LB)
An extremely explosive and fast LB to develop behind Nick Morrow. He’s got the smarts you want out of a LB and although he’s on the smaller side, has tremendous hitting power.

7th Round – Ronnie Hickman (S)
A special teams guy that could develop into a quality back up safety. He has some great physical tools, but still needs some work on his technique. Learning behind Eddie Jackson and Jaquon Brisker could help elevate his game.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
DRAFT:

Eberflus loves LONG and FAST athletes on the edge. Andre Carter II had a similarly dominant season as Will Anderson in 2021. Gives the Bulls an excellent leader in the locker room with his Army background.
I’ll let the guys in the Bulls forum know!

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
Replace Parris Campbell with Jakobi Meyers
I went with Parris Campbell and DJ Chark because they’re more likely to sign a 2-3 year deal, whereas Meyers will look for a longer term deal for more $.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Yo, this ain't bad at all. Well thought out, good reasoning for all the moves and picks.

The draft is phenomenal. I would probably go CB a little earlier, but I love most of the picks. Both Carters, though Andre needs a LOT of work and a weight room. Evans is a big play RB. Mauch is a great fit and great attitude that Poles I'm sure would love. LaPorta and Pappoe are great athletes like you said. Eichenberg did just announce today that he's staying in school (for a 5th year).

I even like the FA signings. Obviously, everyone likes Payne and McGlinchey, because they are really good players. But I even like the sneaky good signings of Chark, Bush and Davis. Early draft picks that have had injury issues but have a good pedigree. Also love Omenihu, who again is a good fit for what Flus likes to do.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Can someone come up with a mock that doesn’t include Payne? Like every fucking one has him…
donald-trump-not-a-chance.gif

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Real nice mock. Its tough to do these early because you never know who will actually make it to FA.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

FREE AGENCY:

Da’Ron Payne (DT)
One of the best young defensive linemen in the NFL. The Bears defensive line has been brutal all season – this signing is a no-brainer.

Bradley Bozeman (OL)
Lucas Patrick is an excellent depth piece with versatility, but he has no business as a starter. Bradley Bozeman has been one of the BEST interior offensive lineman in the NFL with a 73.8 pass-block grade (2nd best center) and 81.7 run-block grade (3rd best center).

Mike McGlinchey (OT)
An upgrade at RT who has played in a similar offensive system and has multiple friends/former teammates from college on the roster, to help pull him away from the 49ers.

Parris Campbell (WR)
Campbell proved he could stay healthy throughout an entire season after struggling with injuries early in his career. He has ELITE game breaking speed (4.31) and would be an excellent young WR to poach from the Colts. Fields might need to recruit the former Ohio State Buckeye to leave Indy.

DJ Chark (WR)
A vertical WR with excellent size (6’4), speed (4.34), and skill set to compliment a team that uses a lot of play action. Finally, a WR that Fields can utilize his deep ball with!

Charles Omenihi (DE)
A long (36” arms) and athletic edge defender that is just starting to reach his potential. Although he failed to get a lot of sacks this season (4.5), he had a pressure rate of 13.6%, which placed him in the top half of the league for players with at least 100 pass-rushing snaps.

Devin Bush (LB)
The former top 10 draft pick has struggled with injuries early in his career and could use a change of scenery. A good buy-low signing that could result into a quality starter or compensatory pick.

Ashtyn Davis (S)
Has outstanding athleticism but has struggled to stay healthy. A depth signing that could learn behind Eddie Jackson and develop into a future piece. Low risk – high reward signing.

TRADE DOWN IN DRAFT:

Chicago Bears Receive:

Chicago Bears Trade:

DRAFT:

Jalen Carter is a generational talent at tackle that teams will have to scheme around. He can stop the run and collapse the pocket.

Has outstanding mobility and plays with a NASTINESS you want from an offensive lineman.

Zach Evans is getting slept on. A former 5-star recruit, that has outstanding athleticism and the speed needed to give the Bears more explosive runs.

Has unusual WIGGLE for a tight end that leads to a ton of broken tackles. An excellent receiving tight end.

Julius Brent is one of my sleepers in this draft class that has outstanding size (6’4) for the position. LOVE his attitude and has no problem lowering his shoulder for some devastating hits.

An extremely explosive and fast LB to develop behind Nick Morrow. He’s got the smarts you want out of a LB and although he’s on the smaller side, has tremendous hitting power.

A special teams guy that could develop into a quality back up safety. He has some great physical tools, but still needs some work on his technique. Learning behind Eddie Jackson and Jaquon Brisker could help elevate his game.
I like it, but I would request to change some of those LBer picks moved to WR picks. I also would prefer to keep La'tyre Carter over Whitehair. The injuries are catching up to Whitehair and he is now worth less than his cap hit. Use that money for another position or younger player.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:

FREE AGENCY:

Da’Ron Payne (DT)
Yes??
Bradley Bozeman (OL)

Mike McGlinchey (OT)

Parris Campbell (WR)
Right on.
DJ Chark (WR)

Charles Omenihi (DE)

Devin Bush (LB)

Ashtyn Davis (S)

TRADE DOWN IN DRAFT:

Chicago Bears Receive:

Chicago Bears Trade:

No fucking way. They pay us.
1673671451328.jpeg
DRAFT:

You take him if he’s there.

He’s a very cerebral player. He may be the next DHC.

TonyDogs

Liked Posts:
Tommy Eichenberg just announced that he's staying at Ohio State... and he projects similarly to Sanborn... no reason to draft him even if he was available.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Tommy Eichenberg just announced that he's staying at Ohio State... and he projects similarly to Sanborn... no reason to draft him even if he was available.
I want Jack Campbell (Iowa LB)

TonyDogs

Liked Posts:
They are both VERY white.
Definitely, both boxy, traditional MIKE linebackers.. better athletes than given credit for but they aren't going to wow you in the open field.

We don't need two inside backers do we? Especially when they play so similarly?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Definitely, both boxy, traditional MIKE linebackers.. better athletes than given credit for but they aren't going to wow you in the open field.

We don't need two inside backers do we? Especially when they play so similarly?
I don't think they are all that similar. Eichenberg is a better athlete, with more length and lateral quickness. I think he has the potential to not be a liability in coverage like Sanborn is. I think Eichenberg is more of a Will LB, but Sanborn played a LOT of Will this year and did it pretty well. So I don't think either is pinned to the Mike position.

TonyDogs

Liked Posts:
I don't think they are all that similar. Eichenberg is a better athlete, with more length and lateral quickness. I think he has the potential to not be a liability in coverage like Sanborn is. I think Eichenberg is more of a Will LB, but Sanborn played a LOT of Will this year and did it pretty well. So I don't think either is pinned to the Mike position.
I watch a lot of OSU football. Eichenberg is strictly a mike.