Mike McGlinchey really improved this season

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Players have a tendency to do that in contract years, which is one reason relying heavily upon free agency to fix your woes is risky and plenty of guys end up not playing up to big contracts given. He seems like as good a player as any to address our RT deficiency though.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Players have a tendency to do that in contract years, which is one reason relying heavily upon free agency to fix your woes is risky and plenty of guys end up not playing up to big contracts given. He seems like as good a player as any to address our RT deficiency though.
A lot of players will have their guaranteed money payed out earlier in the contract for this very reason. You give him a chance with a big contract, and the player becomes an easy cut after 2-3 years if they reduce productivity.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
A lot of players will have their guaranteed money payed out earlier in the contract for this very reason. You give him a chance with a big contract, and the player becomes an easy cut after 2-3 years if they reduce productivity.
Right, but still. If a guy is on the free agent market, it obviously means that his team didn't value him at the money he's looking for. And usually, that team is right cause they've known him for the past so many years. Of course some guys are pushed out cause of a team not wanting to invest too much into one position (Payne) or being up against the cap, but you just look around the league and free agency is risky business, at least when it comes to the big ticket free agents. It's why I'd like to see Poles really use free agency to fill gaps for the most part with quality, affordable players and knock out the draft. Of course with the bare cupboard left by Pace and the mountain of cap space, he'll have to take some swings on big money guys, and I just hope they pan out.

Last edited:

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Right, but still. If a guy is on the free agent market, it obviously means that his team didn't value him at the money he's looking for. And usually, that team is right cause they've known him for the past so many years. Of course some guys are pushed out cause of a team not wanting to invest too much into one position (Payne) but you just look around the league and free agency is risky business, at least when it comes to the big ticket free agents. It's why I'd like to see Poles really use free agency to fill gaps for the most part with quality, affordable players and knock out the draft. Of course with the bare cupboard left by Pace and the mountain of cap space, he'll have to take some swings on big money guys, and i just hope they pan out.
I don't know the 49ers cap situation, but I can also say that good players make the market simply because a salary cap is a nightmare to manage and it's hard to have the money you want to spend every time you need to spend it (which is why Poles cut all those rich contracts; spent a bad year buying more flexibility than most GMs ever get a chance to have).

There is risk and reward available, and there is no reason this team couldn't offer McGlinchey a 4 year contract with front loaded money at the rate he is asking, and draft a prospect to be the backup that eventually takes the vet's job.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Right, but still. If a guy is on the free agent market, it obviously means that his team didn't value him at the money he's looking for. And usually, that team is right cause they've known him for the past so many years. Of course some guys are pushed out cause of a team not wanting to invest too much into one position (Payne) or being up against the cap, but you just look around the league and free agency is risky business, at least when it comes to the big ticket free agents. It's why I'd like to see Poles really use free agency to fill gaps for the most part with quality, affordable players and knock out the draft. Of course with the bare cupboard left by Pace and the mountain of cap space, he'll have to take some swings on big money guys, and I just hope they pan out.

Good teams usually can't sign all their good players because of the cap. There are higher priority guys on that team they need to sign ahead of McG.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I don't know the 49ers cap situation, but I can also say that good players make the market simply because a salary cap is a nightmare to manage and it's hard to have the money you want to spend every time you need to spend it (which is why Poles cut all those rich contracts; spent a bad year buying more flexibility than most GMs ever get a chance to have).

There is risk and reward available, and there is no reason this team couldn't offer McGlinchey a 4 year contract with front loaded money at the rate he is asking, and draft a prospect to be the backup that eventually takes the vet's job.
Right, and i'm not disputing that. But sure, the 9ers have cap problems, and if they're willing to part with McGlinchey to help ease those problems, then that inherently means he's not THAT important to their success, thus willing to part ways with him for as much money as he'll command, hence his previous team not valuing him THAT much. I'm not saying he couldn't be a great pickup, just that this is the nature of free agency. You'll never see a team like the Chiefs let a guy like Chris Jones go because they're up against the cap, for example.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
There are higher priority guys on that team they need to sign ahead of McG.
Which is all i'm saying. If McGlinchey was truly great and a linchpin to their success, then he'd be one of those high priority guys and another would be cut or not re-signed to make room for him. But his availability (presumably) inherently means he was expendable to some degree and thus shouldn't be viewed as or paid as an elite guy.

Then the nature of free agency kicks in, teams looking to improve, fall in love with a guy, convince themselves that he's a elite and thus pay him as such to ensure they get him. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He's very average at this point in his career but better than anything we currently have on the right. That and he hasn't improved. He was better 2 years ago and has levelled off these past 2. May be a little better than the previous year when he was coming off a ding but he's clearly not improved from 2 years ago. That said, he's only 28 and I wouldn't mind the Bear winning that bid.:)

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Which is all i'm saying. If McGlinchey was truly great and a linchpin to their success, then he'd be one of those high priority guys and another would be cut or not re-signed to make room for him. But his availability (presumably) inherently means he was expendable to some degree and thus shouldn't be viewed as or paid as an elite guy.

Then the nature of free agency kicks in, teams looking to improve, fall in love with a guy, convince themselves that he's a elite and thus pay him as such to ensure they get him. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Disagree. LT more important than RT so all things being equal you still sign a Trent Williams over him. Also not going to cut CMC, Deebo, Aiyuk, Warner, Greenlawn, Bosa, Armstead, etc over him when again I already have Trent.

The issue is moreso they have really good players at higher priority positions. We already have Jones for cheap and limited talent so McG is a better fit for us.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Disagree. LT more important than RT so all things being equal you still sign a Trent Williams over him. Also not going to cut CMC, Deebo, Aiyuk, Warner, Greenlawn, Bosa, Armstead, etc over him when again I already have Trent.
What do you disagree with? You just said what I said in a different way, that he's not a linchpin to their success compared to other guys and thus expendable.

The issue is moreso they have really good players at higher priority positions. We already have Jones for cheap and limited talent so McG is a better fit for us.
Yea he's a good fit for us but that doesn't mean we should back the Brinks truck up for him.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What do you disagree with? You just said what I said in a different way, that he's not a linchpin to their success compared to other guys and thus expendable.

Yea he's a good fit for us but that doesn't mean we should back the Brinks truck up for him.

No I didn't say that at all. I said others play higher priority positions. He still has been a linchpin to their success especially running the ball.

Good teams can't keep all the guys that have been critical to their success because of the cap. So they have to cherry pick based on positional value and who they already have on the roster that can replace a guy.

Over the last few years, he has certainly been more important to the Niners than say Aiyuk who struggled a bit or CMC who only just got there. However Aiyuk is younger and emerging and CMC has been critical to success this year so higher priority. That does not mean you can retroactively pretend McG wasn't more important the preceding years to the Niners success or isn't still important.

Never said anything about backing up the brinks truck for him.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sign him and an NFL average C and all of sudden Fields has 2.5s to get rid of the ball or run.

Then hopefully Payne shakes loose and maybe they can get a good WR back as part of their trade down(s).

This team looks much better with McG, Payne and the two hypothetical players alone IMO as long as those 4 hit. Once you add in the rest of FA and the draft at a 50% hit rate the team could actually go toe to toe with some of the better teams (and probably still lose) as long as Fields improves as a passer. I think he will under the right circumstances.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Except not in the case we are discussing where multiple top players at their position are strapping dollars.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
McGlinchey is a really good player and a phenomenal fit. There's no perfect lineman that comes available, so he still has some issues in pass protection at times. Also has committed 10 penalties this year. But he's as good of a zone run blocking tackle as there is in this league. And he won't embarrass himself in the pass game. I'd prefer a better pass blocker, since we don't know what Jones will turn into, but adding him to the best run game in the league makes the overall team better. I obviously would not complain about adding him. And I think he gets near LT money at 15+Mil per year.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Right, and i'm not disputing that. But sure, the 9ers have cap problems, and if they're willing to part with McGlinchey to help ease those problems, then that inherently means he's not THAT important to their success, thus willing to part ways with him for as much money as he'll command, hence his previous team not valuing him THAT much. I'm not saying he couldn't be a great pickup, just that this is the nature of free agency. You'll never see a team like the Chiefs let a guy like Chris Jones go because they're up against the cap, for example.
Well the Chiefs did let Tyreek Hill go but knowing they couldn't keep all their best players they got out in front of the problem and got a huge return for him.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Well the Chiefs did let Tyreek Hill go but knowing they couldn't keep all their best players they got out in front of the problem and got a huge return for him.
I think that's a good example of how a true game-breaking talent is valued beyond hitting the free agent market. In that instance, the Chiefs recognized their inability or unwillingness to retain him and thus the value of getting more than a 3rd round comp pick back, and also Miami being willing to give up a first round pick and a massive contract to the guy. He's a true game breaker worthy of a giant contract and thus he didn't hit the free agent market (same for Davante Adams).

As such, your free agent market is always filled with plenty of good players but even the best it has to offer have some warts. I think it's best to view the market as such, and not delude oneself into thinking that they're getting a major franchise cornerstone just because you're willing and able to throw an absolute truckload of money at a guy. Well, a major franchise cornerstone of a big-time winning team anyway. It's possible but there a lot of instances of guys who really balled out in their contract year and then either fell flat or were just ok on a big-money deal.

And of course all this is quite subjective. Someone might see Da'Ron Payne worth top 5 DT money while others might criticize that idea and thus think that would be some level of an overpay.

Last edited:

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I think that's a good example of how a true game-breaking talent is valued beyond hitting the free agent market. In that instance, the Chiefs recognized their inability or unwillingness to retain him and thus the value of getting more than a 3rd round comp pick back, and also Miami being willing to give up a first round pick and a massive contract to the guy. He's a true game breaker worthy of a giant contract and thus he didn't hit the free agent market.

As such, your free agent market is always filled with plenty of good players but even the best it has to offer have some warts. I think it's best to view the market as such, and not delude oneself into thinking that they're getting a major franchise cornerstone just because you're willing and able to throw an absolute truckload of money at a guy. Well, a major franchise cornerstone of a big-time winning team anyway. It's possible but there a lot of instances of guys who really balled out in their contract year and then either fell flat or were just ok on a big-money deal.

And of course all this is quite subjective. Someone might see Da'Ron Payne worth top 5 DT money while others might criticize that idea and thus think that would be some level of an overpay.
The think with Payne is he’s going to require one of the highest defensive contracts in the NFL. When handing out those types of deals, I want to look at a sustained and consistent track record of success. That doesn’t exist with Payne. This season he doubled his previous highs in sacks and TFL. Maybe he keeps this level of play up. Maybe he doesn’t. But the track record isn’t there and he won’t have Jonathan Allen wherever he goes. It’s a riskier signing than most are willing to acknowledge. If he reverts back to his previous 4 seasons of production, could be one of the worst contracts in the league. Of course on the flip side, if he keeps this years level of play up, you have a dominant player worth the $$$. The risk is pretty substantial though. It took him 5 years and a contract year to breakout.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
The think with Payne is he’s going to require one of the highest defensive contracts in the NFL. When handing out those types of deals, I want to look at a sustained and consistent track record of success. That doesn’t exist with Payne. This season he doubled his previous highs in sacks and TFL. Maybe he keeps this level of play up. Maybe he doesn’t. But the track record isn’t there and he won’t have Jonathan Allen wherever he goes. It’s a riskier signing than most are willing to acknowledge. If he reverts back to his previous 4 seasons of production, could be one of the worst contracts in the league. Of course on the flip side, if he keeps this years level of play up, you have a dominant player worth the $$$. The risk is pretty substantial though. It took him 5 years and a contract year to breakout.
Right. All great points, and maybe he does turn out to be worth it, but that's a whole lot of money to pay to find out. Hence the inherent risk of handing out big money in free agency. One big misstep and you're significantly hamstringing your roster potential.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Right. All great points, and maybe he does turn out to be worth it, but that's a whole lot of money to pay to find out. Hence the inherent risk of handing out big money in free agency. One big misstep and you're significantly hamstringing your roster potential.
Big time. Which is why I’d prefer going after Hargrave. He’s 29, but that means you should be able to get him on a 2-3 year deal. Beyond that, he’s been nothing short of consistent and can also play both DT spots. I think he’s the better player too so that helps. Give me the guy with the proven track record who also won’t require the long term commitment / risk. I think Hargrave should be able to keep his level of play up for at least 2-3 more seasons which fits the Bears window (playoffs in 2024, SB in 2025).

As for McGlinchey, I’d be in on him for around 11-12 mil per season for 2-3 years.