Mel Kiper doesn't think Bears can trade out of the top pick

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
On ESPN today he was saying that what he was hearing was that teams were not in love with Young, Straud and Levis and while they will be drafted high, teams might not throw in the farm to get them. And if the Bears do not get substantial compensation to move down, they will stay put at 1.

He has the Bears taking Carter at 1. Has Straud going 2 to the Texans and Young going 4 to the Colts.

This scenario would suck ass for us.

It would depend on how Carter, or whomever the Bears draft, turns out.

Kiper and all the other "experts" can say whatever they want - None of them really know.

No use in fretting over it now.

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
Well the posters on this board know A LOT more than Mel Kiper ever will...

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It would depend on how Carter, or whomever the Bears draft, turns out.

Kiper and all the other "experts" can say whatever they want - None of them really know.

No use in fretting over it now.
I think that there will be a lot of buzz about the Bear's talking to the Colts and Raiders for the pick. That talk would probably put the pressure on Houston, the Lions, and Seattle to jump in and drive the trade down package and make the package more lucrative.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Between Will Anderson Jr. and the three quarterbacks somebody is going to have a monster workout, crush interviews and catapult to slam-dunk first overall status. For all the consternation about 2023 being a worse year than 2022 for wide receivers, overall this is a vastly better draft for top line talent and to be picking first overall.

The question is really going to be whether the Bears can pass up on Will Anderson Jr. if he crushes workouts and elevates himself to a Myles Garrett level cant-miss prospect.

He’s not a giant monster though. He’s a 240 lb tweener best suited for OLB in a 3-4.

I could see Carter being the better scheme fit which begs for a slight trade down.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
9 lbs and hes von miller
Yes I agree he appears transcendent, you are getting a great player and he’s worth #1 but I might prefer the 310 lb Carter to endure a Chicago winter.

To me it’s a big enough concern to take the trade down to 3 or 4.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I’d be happy if the Colts traded a 1st, 2nd, & future 1st. I think that Bears fans might be underwhelmed with that return, because I’ve seen plenty of trade packages get thrown around that far surpass that.

FWIW, Mel Kiper is a clown.
Well, if you're basing expectations on what many have proposed here, you better prepare to be disappointed.

The Bears will get a very good return, but things aren't getting Madden-level.

Many here have proposed teams looking to trade for a QB give the Bears, in addition to picks, a #1 WR or their top OL. Teams adding a rookie QB aren't trading those assets away.

As for Kiper, suggesting that nobody will trade to #1 for a QB when #2 and #4 clearly need one is insane. There are many QB needy teams, not just three. There are not enough QBs to go around, and that bodes well for the Bears.

No GM is sitting back thinking "We desparately need a QB, and there are three far better than anything we have, but there's no Andrew Luck, so we'll just suck a little longer. The fans won't mind."

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Yes I agree he appears transcendent, you are getting a great player and he’s worth #1 but I might prefer the 310 lb Carter to endure a Chicago winter.

To me it’s a big enough concern to take the trade down to 3 or 4.
240 pounders can't endure a Chicago winter? Have you seen the average Chicagoan?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
So, the ol' pompadour thinks the Bears won't find people interested in trading for the #1 pick one week after reports that Poles' phone is already ringing nonstop. Got it.

Good journalism, Mel.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
I think that there will be a lot of buzz about the Bear's talking to the Colts and Raiders for the pick. That talk would probably put the pressure on Houston, the Lions, and Seattle to jump in and drive the trade down package and make the package more lucrative.

I don't know about the Raiders...A veteran QB would seem to make more sense for them. I could see the Colts, Panthers, Lions & possibly Seahawks as potential suitors, but I don't know that anyone is breaking the bank for this QB class.

I don't see a Joe Burrow in this group, but then, who really knows? "Mr. Irrelevant" is undefeated, and one win away from a Super Bowl berth.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
1) people have been saying every single draft for about the last 13 years have been the worst for quarterbacks; if that were the case there would be no good quarterbacks in the league.
1a) also the strength of schedule doesn't mean much because teams trend up/down year by year, so stop with the "omg this is going to be the hardest schedule ever!!!111" nonsense.
2) Kiper will just say shit for proverbial clicks. he has you all talking about it, doesn't he?
3) we don't really know how the draft is going to play out until it happens. but please, keep wasting your time making mock drafts, it's not like the order the draft is slated to happen will actually happen due to these trade scenarios you've been talking about for what already seems like an eternity.
4) Mac Jones sucks, but Brock Purdy looks pretty good. I've been saying for several years now you can draft quarterbacks outside the 1st round.

continue to be nerds

So who are you sayin the Bears take?

Brownie

Liked Posts:
It's a pretty blah qb draft as all three have major question marks.....perfectly fits for the one time the bears have the #1 overall pick
Don't worry, teams have surely gonna nuts for way shittier QBs than these 3.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Mel kiper was clearly high on cocaine or some other stimulant during the last draft.

I wouldn't trust what that idiot has to say about anything anymore. Good for him for getting his bag and doing it for as long as he has, but the dude is a moron.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love either Anderson or Carter but I’m still selling to the highest bidder and hoping for one in addition.

I see the second one coming off the board between 3 and 7.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
This dude changes his opinion a hundred times before draft day. He doesn't have original thoughts. He changes his narrative so much that I don't trust he does any personal evaluations.

He can do it in the same interview segment.

On ESPN today he was saying that what he was hearing was that teams were not in love with Young, Straud and Levis and while they will be drafted high, teams might not throw in the farm to get them. And if the Bears do not get substantial compensation to move down, they will stay put at 1.

He has the Bears taking Carter at 1. Has Straud going 2 to the Texans and Young going 4 to the Colts.

This scenario would suck ass for us.

Last edited:

mecha

Liked Posts:
So who are you sayin the Bears take?
I don't know. that's not my call. another thing I logically can't understand about the mock drafts and going around in circles about front office moves they 'should' make. George McCaskey isn't reading CCS, for instance. neither is Ryan Poles. Ryan Pace though, once upon a time, maybe.

msadows

Liked Posts:
He can do it in the same interview segment.

Honestly, dude has been doing this for 40+ years and never even played the sport.

I applaud him, but there is a reason he's on TV and not in a front office

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I don't know. that's not my call. another thing I logically can't understand about the mock drafts and going around in circles about front office moves they 'should' make. George McCaskey isn't reading CCS, for instance. neither is Ryan Poles. Ryan Pace though, once upon a time, maybe.

George is on here.

@george loves poles