If Bears take Carter at #1….

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Will you be pissed?

When’s the last time an interior DLinemen went #1 in the draft?

Would he have to be Aaron Donald (or better) to justify taking at 1?

I ask because the “NFL experts” all seem to think bears pick Carter instead of trading out. And most people here are expecting bears to trade out (and still maybe get Carter).

Just curious to see who’d be OK with Carter at 1 if the experts are right, and what your expectations would be of him if he was taken at 1.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Will you be pissed?

I ask because the “NFL experts” all seem to think bears pick Carter instead of trading out. And most people here are expecting bears to trade out (and still maybe get Carter).

Just curious to see who’d be OK with Carter at 1 if the experts are right, and what your expectations would be of him if he was taken at 1.
Only way I’d be okay with it is if the bears for some reason don’t get any respectable offers for the #1 pick

If forced to HAVE to make the pick at #1 it’s Carter or Anderson. So if that’s the scenario somehow then okay, it sucks but okay

Have to imagine they can pick up some draft capital to move back a handful of spots, though

msadows

Liked Posts:
It would be very stupid.

Trading down to #4 pretty much guarantees you still get him.

Trading down to #4 would also net you the colts first next year, at minimum, which should be a top 10 pick. That would give you the wiggle room to make a move for marvin harrison jr, or god forbid, if fields fails next year, another QB.

Legit the worst thing poles can do with that pick is stay put at #1.

Edit: Also, I thought the new popular rumor is the bears staying at #1 to draft the DE from Texas Tech? In that scenario I'd do a table flip.

Rise

Liked Posts:
I’d rather trade out of the top 4 vs taking a player at 1. So if by some chance the Texans and colts don’t want to trade see what the other teams will offer. Somebody will sell the farm to move up. I like Anderson and Carter but I’m not convinced they are these generational game wreckers they are being made out to be.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Will you be pissed?

Not pissed, but certainly bewildered.

It would be exactly like when Ryan Pace traded up above himself to draft Trubisky. If the player taken becomes an All Pro in the NFL, no one will care how you got him. If the player taken never gets a second contract and bounces around the league for peanut contracts until they just disappear...it's the kind of move that you will be endlessly mocked for and probably be first on the list of reasons you find yourself unemployed.

baredown

Liked Posts:
If the Bears took Carter at #1, it would be because they not only think he's the best player in the draft, they also think he's worth more as a long term asset than any of their trade down options. Same applies with Anderson. Substituting my own draft judgement, which is based around the media draft industry, for theirs would be grade 1 stupid.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
If he stays at one? He should be fired.
You need two teams to make a trade and if teams don't see a certain QB as the #1 guy and are truly enamored with him then why make the trade up to 1 when Arizona might also be willing to trade down for much less then it'll be to trade up to #1. We also have QB needy teams that are win ready and will go after one of the multiple veteran QB's that are out there. Things can happen in the offseason before draft time that takes multiple teams out of drafting one of the top 3 QB's.

We still need things to fall our way with certain things for us to have that chance to get a good trade down offer from not just one team but multiple teams. We've had some luck with Houston winning that last game and claiming that top spot so lets just hope luck is still on our side. If we can't trade down then it has to be one of carter or Anderson at #1 and hope to hell whoever we take is a legit star.

Maybe a thread asking what's the least you would take in a trade down to certain spots if those big offers aren't there for us?

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
Honestly speaking, draft is overrated in my opinion. There's never a guarantee about anyone in the top 5, let alone round 1. Teams that are lacking in playmakers on both sides of the ball need to generate as many players as possible for current and future drafts. You do this by making trades that make sense. There's really no need to take that #1 pick and keep it. Totally stupid when your team is hurting so bad and you have yet to protect a QB that was acquired through a trade himself. This team needs to build for the future and they are lacking in that department on both sides of the ball.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
I think at the very least you try and swap with Houston for their 2nd or 3rd so they get their guy.

That gets us extra picks and still gets us our #1 on the board

Montucky

Liked Posts:
The Bears don't have to make this decision now. See how free agency and especially the player workout/interviews go. If Will Anderson Jr., Jalen Carter or someone else prove to be worth first overall then it might wind up being the right move.

It's a shame about the Chase Claypool trade because it would be much easier to stand pat at first overall with that thirty-second overall.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Will you be pissed?

If they did that it means they struck out on FA signing or ability to trade down for a good haul. I think you have to trust Poles with what happens to make the best decision. There are more Edge guys than DT's in this class so I'd go with Carter. I think he will trade down with Colts at minimum or possibly Panthers however.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I think "experts" don't like to do mock trades. Like Mel Kiper almost never does trades. I think most people expect the Bears to trade the pick.

I'd prefer Anderson because of position value, and I simply think he's a better prospect. But either way, I'd be pretty upset about not trading down. There was no purpose in sitting Fields Week 18 and trotting out an entire defensive backfield from off the street if they weren't trying to get a haul by getting the 1st pick. I'd be pretty close to "out" on Poles if they don't trade the pick.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
If they did that it means they struck out on FA signing or ability to trade down for a good haul. I think you have to trust Poles with what happens to make the best decision. There are more Edge guys than DT's in this class so I'd go with Carter. I think he will trade down with Colts at minimum or possibly Panthers however.
"Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results."

Albert Einstein

"In Emery we trust."

Bears fans

"In Pace we trust."

Bears fans

"In Poles we trust."

Bear Fans

Beast15

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think at the very least you try and swap with Houston for their 2nd or 3rd so they get their guy.

That gets us extra picks and still gets us our #1 on the board
This

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I would for sure be upset. That's not a guy you take at one.

IF, and this is a BIG IF, they can't trade out of the pick, take Will Anderson. Period. Nothing is guaranteed, but he's the closest thing in this draft to a sure thing.

But even then, that would not be ideal - Anderson isn't such a sure thing that I'm comfortable taking him at 1 unless there is no choice.

JordanSigler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Will you be pissed?

I’d rather take young at 1 lol

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I would for sure be upset. That's not a guy you take at one.

IF, and this is a BIG IF, they can't trade out of the pick, take Will Anderson. Period. Nothing is guaranteed, but he's the closest thing in this draft to a sure thing.

But even then, that would not be ideal - Anderson isn't such a sure thing that I'm comfortable taking him at 1 unless there is no choice.
Soooo who would you be comfortable taking #1 overall? Lol

Everyone acts like the talent value exists outside of the current draft.

“Not gonna take so and so because 3 years ago there was a better defensive end…”

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If we stay at the #1 pick, I'm going to assume it was because we weren't offered enough value to move out of #1, or we were sold on Carter or Anderson being a generational talent.

I would prefer to move back and accumulate more picks, even at the cost of losing out on Anderson or Carter(although that wouldn't be ideal), if the price is right. We need a lot of talent added to this team.