Rate the last movie you watched

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My buddy asked me what I thought of Tar and this is what I said:

Not sure how I felt about it. Not unusual for me though, always takes a couple viewings before things really sink in. I thought there was going to be more emphasis on whatever mental illness she was suffering from and I really didn't think it added or detracted from the other point of the film in the new day and age of being able to tear someone down. Did she deserve it? It'd be scarier if she didn't. I probably should have laughed much more at the ending, but oops!

I think one thing I really liked about it is this: no matter if you're a cis white male, bipoc, lesbian, whatever. You're a human and being human means you can unfortunately be an asshole and take advantage of others. Being a shit person isn't limited to one type of person.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Anything different from each viewing?
It's the kind of movie that seems deliberately made to force a second watch. The editing makes things move pretty fast at times. Things are missed. There is some subtlety, but not sure a second watch is entirely worthwhile.

Intent is a running theme, and it all seems to flutter around the opening interview, and the following scene at Juilliard.

Throw in a nod or two to Tarkovsky, Weerasethakul, and Polanski in the third act.

And I'll add that contrived, and overwrought were good descriptions. Blanchett's performance is silly at times, and too earnest at others. She'll be praised, but it's no better than Sean Penn portraying an intellectual disability, or Mickey Rooney for that matter. Needed more cheese with the ham.

Last edited:

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think we can all agree that Tar is no Robocop.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Drank a good amount of beer and was more than a little stoned last night. Wife and I watched Rampage. The Rock, a giant monkey and a giant flying wolf. Was Great.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Finally saw Top Gun: Maverick. I found myself rolling my eyes a couple of times -- like when certain characters say and do the exact same things as their counterparts in the original, i.e. Rooster mostly -- but I did enjoy it overall. It did a nice job of balancing out the new cast with the old; and the mission was cool. Anyways, fun movie, really well-shot. A bit long, but I'd watch it again. Has maybe a little too many exact callbacks to the original, but that's not a deal breaker for me.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
“I think you know I am not the devil. I think we have the kind of relationship that if I were the devil, you’d be the person I’d tell.” ?

Yep, thats the scene. So good. Great build up to that.

I love this part of that scene too:

Aaron Altman: I know you care about him. I've never seen you like this about anyone, so please don't get me wrong when I tell you that Tom, while being a very nice guy, is the Devil.

Jane Craig: This isn't friendship. You're crazy, you know that?

Aaron Altman: What do you think the Devil is going to look like if he's around?

Jane Craig: God!

Aaron Altman: Come on! Nobody is going to be taken in by a guy with a long, red, pointy tail! What's he gonna sound like?

[hisses]

Aaron Altman: No. I'm semi-serious here.

Jane Craig: You're seriously...

Aaron Altman: He will be attractive! He'll be nice and helpful. He'll get a job where he influences a great God-fearing nation. He'll never do an evil thing! He'll never deliberately hurt a living thing... he will just bit by little bit lower our standards where they are important. Just a tiny little bit. Just coax along flash over substance. Just a tiny little bit. And he'll talk about all of us really being salesmen. And he'll get all the great women.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Prospect: meh.

Men: pretty good.
Couple people I know liked Men quite a bit. Perhaps I should look into it. I'm only familiar with two things Garland has done: 28 Days Later and The Coma. The former I remember being pretty decent watch and the latter, while a decent and quick read, seemed a bit predictable. I haven't read or seen either in a long time.

I watched The Third Man last night and it wasn't until the end that it dawned on me that I had seen it already.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Couple people I know liked Men quite a bit. Perhaps I should look into it. I'm only familiar with two things Garland has done: 28 Days Later and The Coma. The former I remember being pretty decent watch and the latter, while a decent and quick read, seemed a bit predictable. I haven't read or seen either in a long time.

I watched The Third Man last night and it wasn't until the end that it dawned on me that I had seen it already.
I was into Alex Garland ('Men') because of 'Ex Machina'. I was ambivalent about his show 'Devs'. I should probably watch his 'Annihilation' again.