Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Double trade down would've been epic but at the same time, Poles got a #1 WR on a team friendly contract while still adding multiple high picks so I cannot complain.
This. He pushed hard for that and probably used the Colts to tip the scales.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
What kind of numbers would you like to see from DJ Moore this next season?
If the Bears passed on an additional 1st round pick, why wouldn't you expect top ten numbers from DJ Moore?

Why make that trade for a middling wr?

1,000 yards & 9 TDs. (Btw the top 22 wrs had 1k yards. I'm kinda low balling here. Top ten is around 1,200.)

Last edited:

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
Terrible clickbait article. Throw out a hypothesis that has not been verified and than use Poles quote to "go with his gut" as confirming he didn't go with the hypothetical situation. No one will ever be able to validate or invalidate the theory and receive a bunch of clicks. We only know the offer on the table from Carolina and both sides seem to have confirmed that a 2025 first or DJ Moore were the big discussion points. Poles valued Moore over another 1st and he'll get held accountable for that evaluation, we don't need to make up some other theories and try and hang it on Poles neck.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If he's basically admitted we could have gotten a first rounder by going from 1 to 2, then I think we absolutely should have done that.
Issue is, would he have been able to move down again?

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If the Bears passed on an additional 1st round pick, why wouldn't you expect top ten numbers from DJ Moore?

Why make that trade for a middling wr?

1,000 yards & 9 TDs. (Btw the top 22 wrs had 1k yards. I'm kinda low balling here.)
1,000 and 9TDs would be a good season. I'd be happier with 1100-1200 yards and think he could end up with less TDs though depending on how they use him in the RZ. You would think that Claypool and Kmet are going to get alot of RZ looks with them being bigger targets.

I was mainly curious what kind of season would appease @Montucky since he seems to take issue with the trade.

JordanSigler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
1,000 and 9TDs would be a good season. I'd be happier with 1100-1200 yards and think he could end up with less TDs though depending on how they use him in the RZ. You would think that Claypool and Kmet are going to get alot of RZ looks with them being bigger targets.

I was mainly curious what kind of season would appease @Montucky since he seems to take issue with the trade.
Poles is betting Fields (or the 24’ QB) won't be as bad as busts Baker and Darnold. Could have better numbers if the o line gets fixed.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Issue is, would he have been able to move down again?
Right?

Should Carolina and Houston want the same QB prospect, then you cant move down with Houston and expect Carolina still wants to trade because there are other QBs on the board. There is no need to jump pick #3 with Arizona on the clock to get the QB that Carolina might not want anyway.

The return was a fat purse because teams needed to get in front of Houston to be guaranteed the closest-to-ideal prospect.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
This is the problem with monumentally fucking up the WR position last year by not drafting Pickens, draft VJJ, then trading for Claypool. 3 F grade moves.

Last edited:

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's threads like this that remind me now is a good time to stay away from CCS until draft day.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Would have Carolina been willing to move up from #9 to #2, while giving up a lot of capital, with the possibility of not drafting the QB they wanted?!? I doubt it. And if so, they weren’t adding DJ Moore.

On a side note, I hope he called Houston while the deal was on the table with Carolina to see if they would add some juice. Or maybe Houston balked.

The only grip I have with the Carolina trade is grabbing SF’s traded second rd pick and not Carolina’s.
100% agree with this.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
He is a young GM. Certainly a chance that he jumped at CAR's offer. I predicted for something to happen in April.

But overall he got what I feel is good to very good value. When Young taped at 5'10" I would have gotten scared as well.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
"I thought there was an opportunity to do something historically pretty cool with a trade from one to two and two to nine. That had potential to add more draft capital this year, and then the possibility that you’re sitting on three ones in the following year. That had my attention. But my gut told me to trigger on it now. At the combine, I thought those quarterbacks did an outstanding job in their interview process. A lot of teams felt really good about some of those guys, but as you get further away from the combine, maybe there’s a bad pro day or something that turns teams off.”

Don't think this is complicated. He is saying he had prelim discussions with Houston but nothing concrete. So it would have taken more time with no guarantee Houston meets his demands so he opted to pull the trigger now. So more than likely he wanted a 2024 first from Houston and Houston was still debating whether they wished to give in. Given they were only moving up one spot, they likely would have wanted to fully finish their evaluation process before making a deal as you only trade to 1 from 2 if you rank one prospect significantly above all others.

Further, if they trade 1 to Houston they are unlikely to move 2 until closer to the draft or draft night because teams moving to 2 likely would want to have a sense for who Houston is taking particularly if they have one clear cut preference at QB. So you run the risk of Carolina not wanting to trade for 2 or not wanting to include DJ Moore when it is clear Poles wanted help for Fields right now this season.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
It was simply an OK trade by Poles. And getting DJ Moore has greatly helped his mediocre FA signings receive less scrutiny then he should.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
"I thought there was an opportunity to do something historically pretty cool with a trade from one to two and two to nine. That had potential to add more draft capital this year, and then the possibility that you’re sitting on three ones in the following year. That had my attention. But my gut told me to trigger on it now. At the combine, I thought those quarterbacks did an outstanding job in their interview process. A lot of teams felt really good about some of those guys, but as you get further away from the combine, maybe there’s a bad pro day or something that turns teams off.”

Don't think this is complicated. He is saying he had prelim discussions with Houston but nothing concrete. So it would have taken more time with no guarantee Houston meets his demands so he opted to pull the trigger now. So more than likely he wanted a 2024 first from Houston and Houston was still debating whether they wished to give in. Given they were only moving up one spot, they likely would have wanted to fully finish their evaluation process before making a deal as you only trade to 1 from 2 if you rank one prospect significantly above all others.

Further, if they trade 1 to Houston they are unlikely to move 2 until closer to the draft or draft night because teams moving to 2 likely would want to have a sense for who Houston is taking particularly if they have one clear cut preference at QB. So you run the risk of Carolina not wanting to trade for 2 or not wanting to include DJ Moore when it is clear Poles wanted help for Fields right now this season.
I was thinking about this a while back and would only trade with Houston if they agreed to declared their pick right after the trade. Getting Moore tipped these scales before FA. So much easier to game plan now and may have benefits beyond the actual current trade values.

mecha

Liked Posts:
This is the problem with monumentally fucking up the WR position last year by not drafting Pickens, draft VJJ, then drafting for Claypool. 3 F grade moves.
Poles traded a 2nd round pick for Claypool (I think this move was baffling)

It's threads like this that remind me now is a good time to stay away from CCS until draft day.
CCS in general is terrible when there are no NFL games. watching people lose their shit for a variety of reasons is great though.