1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Kaiser.
Vlasic.
Korchinski.
Allen.
Jones.
Jones.

You think it's hopeless with free agency and next two drafts? Surprise developers?

I think the bigger threat appears to be Peterson overthinking this pick. He doesn't look sold on Bedard to me. I'm sure he will come around but I really think he might be vulnerable to a strong offer from 2 or 3.

Zegras/Gibson/#2 and what defender?

What would the blue jackets offer? What defender?

I think he's nuts if he goes for a hobey Baker or the swede. Let's hope owners intervene or sense prevails.
The closest we have proven to be anything remotely like a top pairing guy there is Seth Jones, and he's a Campbell-type. Ergo, he needs a Hjammer-type to not be a sieve in the backend. We don't have anything close to that; Murph is a pale comparison. If Hjammer was a water tower Murph is a toilet cistern. Korch and Allan have promise, but your D isn't set until it is. Caleb is a 6-7 who is supplanted by Tandoori, and the rest project out to be mid-tier guys. That's not bad, but you aren't winning a cup with the D we got now unless your goalie is Tretiak... Even with Bedard. This isn't basketball.

And yes, we should be picking Bedard. Anyone who thinks otherwise knows zero about hockey, or was ones of those mental midgets who thought we should have taken Turris over Kane in 2007.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
In addition: my point was Bedard in and of himself won't win a cup. KD's task is to build around him. That means a realistic assessment of where we are in every respect (which should be next season) and then backfilling with homegrown assets, drafting, and then the final FA players. It does not mean go all-in NOW. It means building a team that can win and be competitive for years; like the previous core.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
The Hawks seem to have been moving players the last few years with no real plan. Now, they can build around a particular player, that is a pretty darn good bet to be very good. That might make it easier to create a structure of lines and players that make sense. It would really help us fans if we sensed we understood what was happening. These are exciting times. Go Hawks!

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
In addition: my point was Bedard in and of himself won't win a cup. KD's task is to build around him. That means a realistic assessment of where we are in every respect (which should be next season) and then backfilling with homegrown assets, drafting, and then the final FA players. It does not mean go all-in NOW. It means building a team that can win and be competitive for years; like the previous core.
Davidson made a good point last night that the Hawks dynasty had 3 diff Conn Smythe winners and that none of those teams win it all without all of them. Not to mention all of the other pieces.

Till this day i don't think Seabrook got enough credit for how clutch he was in some of those playoff series when they couldn't buy a goal for anyone else.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
The hawks were a bottom 3 team in the league, so getting #1 (even though Anaheim's odds were fantastic) wasn't completely out of left field and unexpected the way the Bulls getting Rose in 08 when they were the 10th or 11th worst team.

I'd argue Houston taking Mark Appel #1 in 2013, who quit baseball a year or two later for injury and religion (then eventually came back a year ago) for the cubs to get Kris Bryant #2 was better luck. Or even the Colts snatching defeat from the jaws of victory week 18 of the NFL in January against Houston giving the bears #1 which Poles turned what he just turned it into.

But then again who cares. Hopefully, Bedard is the generational player everyone makes him out to be. That'll turn the chapter pretty quick on the Kane/Toews era.
Nobody can be 100% sure of Bedard's impact on the league, but looking at the faces of the GMs that didn't get the first pick, I would say they were convinced of his potential. Man, it looked like15 guys that just had their dog run over by a car.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Obviously.
Bedard can't save 2023-25.
His focus is to get better every year and the team should remain in long term mode up until they are a realistic threat as a complete club.

2027-2035 however just went from hopeful to dreamy provided a world still remains.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Hawks seem to have been moving players the last few years with no real plan. Now, they can build around a particular player, that is a pretty darn good bet to be very good. That might make it easier to create a structure of lines and players that make sense. It would really help us fans if we sensed we understood what was happening. These are exciting times. Go Hawks!
Maybe I'm giving KD too much credit, but there seemed to be a plan:

As has been mentioned here by me and others, defense and goaltending takes the longest to develop. Case in point: Keith was drafted in 2001, didn't hit the league until 2006, and wasn't considered all-that until ~2008/2009. Crawford was drafted in 2003, and didn't really become an excellent goalie until 2013. Contrast to Toews who was drafted in 2006, and got into the league in 2008 and tore it up, and of course Kane in 2007 comes in the next year and tore the league up.

The players the 'hawks had when Bowman was shown the exit were a smattering of mid-tier defense prospects, a handful of FWD prospects, Debrincat, Hagel, and Jones. Dach was looking like a bust (and definitely benefitted from the change in scenery).

Given that Debrincat was the best player, and he was a small goal-scoring winger, he could have kept the 'hawks afloat just enough to keep them out of the cellar of the league--same with Hagel. KD parlayed Hagel into 2 first rounders because he was a cost-controlled player. Debrincat recouped a 1st rounder into Korchinski. Dach turned into Nazar.

The plan as I see it was to kick the can down the road far enough to acquire top-tier defensemen, and get a very early pick by icing a bad team. If we don't get the defensemen we get killed in the playoffs. If we keep enough scoring mediocre defense in the regular seasons we're stuck in the 16-25th place doldrums which could lead to another 49 year cup drought--not bad enough to draft early enough for the best chance at homegrown talent, and not good enough to afford what we need in the FA market to put us over the hump--especially if we got guys like Jones and Debrincat on the books.

It will make it easier to build around Bedard, but that's the trick. The 'hawks now need the right balance of defense and goaltending so that the nascent offence we have in Bedard/Reichel can outscore the opponents, then bring in the right type of depth at FWD so that everything doesn't rely on them having a good night every night.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
???
I thought the Bears drafted Bedard.
Does this kid even play hockey? Could he maybe learn to?
From what I hear, ice is pretty slippery.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Oh KD had a plan.

His plan was to get bigger and tougher. One scoring line and three lines with big bodies who forecheck and bang.

That plan has obviously changed. For the better. Now your probably looking at a more balanced team.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh KD had a plan.

His plan was to get bigger and tougher. One scoring line and three lines with big bodies who forecheck and bang.

That plan has obviously changed. For the better. Now your probably looking at a more balanced team.

Oh KD had a plan.

Provided Davidson does the right thing and drafts Bedard.

I agree 100%, it's a fate that saves them from themselves.

Identities are good and build good teams, but often a good regime has a fatal flaw that prevents going all the way and can't see it.

You see many championships occur in the first year or two when a new regime builds off the bones of the old regime, but isn't yet infected fully by their own fatal flaws.

Bedard is a change-up that is good for them.

I see a nice third line developing from Mastro-Savoie-and either Nazar or 21st pick this year as well.

There should be a nice player that falls to 21 if they don't lock into a player they love like they usually do.

I would advise to be very value opportunistic with that pic.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Provided Davidson does the right thing and drafts Bedard.

I agree 100%, it's a fate that saves them from themselves.

Identities are good and build good teams, but often a good regime has a fatal flaw that prevents going all the way and can't see it.

You see many championships occur in the first year or two when a new regime builds off the bones of the old regime, but isn't yet infected fully by their own fatal flaws.

Bedard is a change-up that is good for them.

I see a nice third line developing from Mastro-Savoie-and either Nazar or 21st pick this year as well.

There should be a nice player that falls to 21 if they don't lock into a player they love like they usually do.

I would advise to be very value opportunistic with that pic.
If KD doesn't draft Bedard, I'll be leading the torch and pitchfork brigade myself.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rinzel is a nice long term wild card body for the bottom 6.

We could either pick up another of those or a defender or potentially a really prolific scorer at 21.

I can't wait. Given things I see in top 15 that could be special I am not opposed to a modest trade up at all,

But Cristall or Sale or a Slovakian or many types of candy...somebody "Debrincat" level exciting probably falls to 21.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nobody can be 100% sure of Bedard's impact on the league, but looking at the faces of the GMs that didn't get the first pick, I would say they were convinced of his potential. Man, it looked like15 guys that just had their dog run over by a car.

Yeah that was pretty funny.

All except the Hawks who look like they convinced themselves 2nd third or 4th could be better than the complications of Bedard.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bedard is the perfect ingredient to what they were building, imo. It isn't what they wanted but its what they will get, and they will find its the perfect cherry on top of a hard fast working group.