@Burque PLEASE HALP me make my pork green chilly more green!

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Hi @Burque

I'm making tasty pork green chili lately but it's turning out a little too brown and not as green as I'd like. I'm using jarred green chilies of the HATCH variety but with all the pork and the broth it's turning out brownish and I want it more vibrant but don't want to use green food colouring. How do yous do it down there?

Should I chop up some fresh chili peps to make it more green? Someone told me puree some zuchini but that doesn't sound too authentic.

I'm thickening it with masa harina maybe I should make the slurry with some blended herbs? Don't want it tasting like oregano or cilantro though.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Reactions: DC

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
*Chile.

I learned the hard way if you spell it wrong, @Burque will ignore you. Since he corrected me, I've made it 10 times and would like to bathe in it.

But for now, let's let the OP clean up his act so the Chile Master can respond first.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
*Chile.

I learned the hard way if you spell it wrong, @Burque will ignore you. Since he corrected me, I've made it 10 times and would like to bathe in it.

But for now, let's let the OP clean up his act so the Chile Master can respond first.
Chile is a country in South America. Thanks

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
@HeHateMe Sorry for the late response. I have been out of the state for nearly two weeks or almost a fortnight, literally nearly halve a month. I don't typically answer chile questions when I am not in chile country (not Chile the country) forgive me please. Also, @DC already corrected you on the correct nomenclature of the type of pork green chile dish you are attempting to correctly make with more green in it so I will let it pass, for now, without correction.

In my professional opinion you should switch from canned or jarred green chiles to frozen Hatch green chiles. If you have access to a roaster or a good toaster oven and a connect to get you the real fresh ones, freshly roasted and peeled is best. I know that they have started doing roasting sessions in the midwestern portion of the country, where they literally drive up semi trailer loads of the fresh ones and roast them properly in the parking lots of major grocery stores in the traditional New Mexican way, but as we are early in the chile growing season I think you might be out of luck on that for a few more months. However, if you get the chance this fall I would recommend getting an entire 35-40 lb bag for yourself. Then you will get the full experience of spending an afternoon peeling, bagging, and freezing your own chile for the entire year. Make sure you have the freezer space first. Additionally as an added bonus you get to play the traditional New Mexican sport of avoiding touching various parts of your body for hours on end, gloves are recommended.

Also, if its not green enough perhaps your middle of the west tongue needs to get over itself and add more of the traditional Hatch green chiles to the recipe. As they are literally the only green thing that belongs in there.

The largest producer of frozen green chile is made by a company called Bueno Foods. There is also another company called Young Guns that makes frozen green chile. I think there might be some shipping options available with a little bit of googling. That might be your best option, but I cannot entirely say with 100% accuracy that they are going to make your chile more green, or that they will even live up to the real true thing. What can I say, if I want Chicago style pizza or an Italian beef sandwich, I go to Chicago.

I hope this was helpful.

Perhaps we can collaborate on an Italian beef New Mexico green chile fusion sandwich that could win best sandwich at your next Kubb tourney!!!

best

P.S. @Chief Walking Stick miss you back