OT: Cardinals To Extend Yadier Molina at 5yrs 75 million dollars

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yadier Molina Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

Depending on how you value catchers, Molina's glove and handling of pitchers makes it so the contract isn't too ridiculous, plus his offense has been coming around so that's a plus. He's also only 29 this coming season. He might have gotten that money on the open market just for defense alone.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
There's no way I am paying any catcher not named Bench or Rodriguez that kind of money. Not even close.

IvyPickin87

Sinkin Putts ****in Butts
Donator
Liked Posts:
He prolly has two more good years in him... I bet for the final three years Cards fans are not going to be happy with that contract. I am happy he signed for that long, yea it will hurt the cubs for the next two seasons. Come "time" for the Cubs to get good he will be on the decline!

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
He prolly has two more good years in him... I bet for the final three years Cards fans are not going to be happy with that contract. I am happy he signed for that long, yea it will hurt the cubs for the next two seasons. Come "time" for the Cubs to get good he will be on the decline!

True, but at the end of the five years he's still probably better than the Cubs catcher, decline or not.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
I think Soto's probably traded by then.

I sure hope so I wouldn't doubt it if he has to retire by then. So many injures he may be permanently broken in 3 years and I think we can have one of the young guys give us Soto type production. I would trade him now but I doubt he has any value.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I sure hope so I wouldn't doubt it if he has to retire by then. So many injures he may be permanently broken in 3 years and I think we can have one of the young guys give us Soto type production. I would trade him now but I doubt he has any value.

Sure he has value. He's a capable defensive catcher who is above average offensively relative to all MLB catchers. He's not an MVP or anything, but he's not useless either. Someone will bite.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was shocked he got 75 mil over 5 years. I view Molina as the top C in the game but didnt think he come close to 15 mil per in FA.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Overpaying catchers -- always a smart decision! Just as the Twins how they're liking that Joe Mauer deal.

Cloud 9

O.G.
Liked Posts:

Now that's just not true... Unless you mean no value compared to the value he used to have.

Cloud 9

O.G.
Liked Posts:
Well It's a jaw dropping amount of money to throw at a catcher. But Yadier is a superior defensive catcher, has a cannon for an arm and calls a damn good game. You're never safe on the base paths when Molina's behind the dish. He's coming off a career year after being rather lackluster with the bat in previous years. If he comes close to what he did in 11' then the Cards got a nice deal, for the first couple years anyways. I don't know about the 4th and 5th years of this deal though. A lot of money to commit to a guy at a position that takes such a beating day in and out.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
Now that's just not true... Unless you mean no value compared to the value he used to have.

Ya no doubt if he is healthy and having a good Soto year he is very good. but he is coming off a terrible year and is very inconsistent. Im sure he has value but I doubt we get much more than 2 or 3 borderline top 10 in a teams system spects. If he was consistent he would garner much more imo.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Overpaying catchers -- always a smart decision! Just as the Twins how they're liking that Joe Mauer deal.

They didn't really have any idea Mauer would get hurt all the time. Plus at the end of the contract they were probably going to throw him in right field or 1B to protect him more anyway. Sometimes shit happens.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
People don't really factor in the just HOW VALUABLE his defense is. He's the greatest defensive catcher of all time, has excellent plate vision, works counts, hits .300, drives in a higher than average amount of runs...he's worth every penny...even if his average tapers off to about .275 in the coming years...

With that pitching staff, runs are going to already come at a premium. But having a guy behind the dish that only allows you to play station-to-station (because you really CAN'T steal unless your name is Michael Bourn) is such a plus.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
People don't really factor in the just HOW VALUABLE his defense is. He's the greatest defensive catcher of all time, .

Ivan and Johnny want to have a word with you. So does Karkovice