What are your thoughts on Josh McCown this preseason?

Madden

Liked Posts:
Has anyone else been unimpressed by Josh McCown this preseason? He looks lost and isn't really giving me confidence as being our #2. Too many short dump offs and not a good completion percentage. I'm not sure if it's the new system or what but something seems off about him. I actually thought looked okay last year. I'm pretty bummed Blanchard got hurt because I was hoping he would be our #2. Do you think one of our new QB's has a chance to jump over him on the depth chart?

StrongerThanAll

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's played to my expectations.

If Cutler goes down with a season ending injury it's a bears season ending injury, but that's usually the case when most teams lose their starting QB

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
His not a good back-up quarterback, not at all. I've watch him when he was down here in az. We definetly downgraded in the 2nd string spot from Campbell to him....

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Has anyone else been unimpressed by Josh McCown this preseason? He looks lost and isn't really giving me confidence as being our #2. Too many short dump offs and not a good completion percentage. I'm not sure if it's the new system or what but something seems off about him. I actually thought looked okay last year. I'm pretty bummed Blanchard got hurt because I was hoping he would be our #2. Do you think one of our new QB's has a chance to jump over him on the depth chart?
Really? I thought he looked good for a #2. Oh! You mean..Dumpoffs. Where Trestman was quoted as saying he didn't want Josh to get injured so t hey had him staying out of harms way and in minimal plays that kept him in 3-6 step drops.

So, nope. You're wrong. Again, it's cute the Blanchard talk never stops.. Which is always laughable. The whole organization loves Mccown(including players,coaches and Phil Emery) yet Bear fans just refuse to accept that he's agood #2 qb and goes above and beyond what is asked.

Noone will take over Mccown as the #2, Blanchard is not going to either. Just as Caleb Hanie was never going to take over Jay Cutlers spot.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
His not a good back-up quarterback, not at all. I've watch him when he was down here in az. We definetly downgraded in the 2nd string spot from Campbell to him....
...Jason Campbell? Mr. Checkdown himself?
mj-laughing.gif

He played scared shitless against the 49ers and did awful against the Texans. Least Mccown won against the Vikings and halfway was competitive against the Pack.

Madden

Liked Posts:
Really? I thought he looked good for a #2. Oh! You mean..Dumpoffs. Where Trestman was quoted as saying he didn't want Josh to get injured so t hey had him staying out of harms way and in minimal plays that kept him in 3-6 step drops.

So, nope. You're wrong. Again, it's cute the Blanchard talk never stops.. Which is always laughable. The whole organization loves Mccown(including players,coaches and Phil Emery) yet Bear fans just refuse to accept that he's agood #2 qb and goes above and beyond what is asked.

Noone will take over Mccown as the #2, Blanchard is not going to either. Just as Caleb Hanie was never going to take over Jay Cutlers spot.

McCown is better than Campbell but why the hate on Blanchard? He's looked way better than McCown this year.

kA1146f.jpg

He also had 5 runs for 30 yards.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
McCown is better than Campbell but why the hate on Blanchard? He's looked way better than McCown this year.

kA1146f.jpg

He also had 5 runs for 30 yards.
Because.... Blanchard is playing against guys who will not be in th eleague in two weeks. Also, every fan stat guys all time favorite preseason qb Caleb Hanie did nothing when push came to shove. Just accept Mccown will be around as the Bears backup for a few years bro.

OBearsWon Kinobi

Liked Posts:
mj-laughing.gif

He played scared shitless against the 49ers and did awful against the Texans. Least Mccown won against the Vikings and halfway was competitive against the Pack.

Amen brother. I can't believe another team signed Campbell until I saw it was the Browns.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
Blanchards throwing motion and arm seem terrible. He would be worse than Hanie.

DocBito831

Liked Posts:
Nor Cal born, Nor Cal raised. Orange County living
One name to fix all your worries at the number 2 QB spot, Trent Edwards! Sleep tight gents!

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
How many teams in this league will still be competitive without their starting QB? How many will have a shot at the playoffs or win the Super Bowl. My guess is 0. So if Cutler goes down for the season it's over anyways. The veteran leadership of McCown is probably more important than Blanchard's potential. Btw, we're not considering Blanchard as a future replacement for Cutler, are we? I sure hope not. If that's the case, then I'd rather have McCown manage the game in case Cutler goes down for 1 or 2 games only.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
mj-laughing.gif

How would have McCown fared against the Niners and Texans last year? And using the "at least McCown beat the Viking argument is plain dumb...the defense scored as many TD's as he did...he was 15/25 for 160 yards, 1TD, 1Int, and had 2 fumbles (luckily recovered by the Bears)...all against a team that was 3-13 without AP. So do yourself a favor and try and find a new argument because that is a very weak one. You are trying to compare Campbell who had to play against 2 of the best defenses last year vs McCown who beat a team who had the 3rd worst record in the NFL and he was not competitive against the Packers, the Bears lost by 14 points and coincidently McCown threw 2 ints.

I in no way want Campbell back and for this year the Bears are going to have to deal with having a weak backup...it actually wouldn't surprise me if Edwards or Palmer play well enough in the preseason to edge McCown, but I think McCown will be Cutler's primary backup. But I do believe next year McCown won't be with the Bears regardless if Cutler is signed or not.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Can Edwards even jump anymore?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

We suck at finding and developing Qb's. McCown is a recent example of this. BTW, jay looks "lost" to me at times too.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
McCown has made some nice throws with good reads this preseason... What that translates to in regular season is anyone's guess.

But not disappointed thus far...

Kekua Zombie

Liked Posts:
We didn't sign McCown to kick ass in preseason. We signed him to make the team and mainly Cutler better through his insight and experience. The guy will be a NFL qb coach some day. Every team would be fucked losing their starter but maybe 4 not counting the Jets because they'd be fucked anyway.

Orton, Hassleback, Cousins, and Fitzpatrick might be the only ones I'd feel comfortable finishing a season and not pissing away the playoffs.

TreedBear

Liked Posts:
We suck at finding and developing Qb's. McCown is a recent example of this. BTW, jay looks "lost" to me at times too.

We brought in McCown because he was familiar with Martz' O. The bonus is that he and Jay get along and he knows his role on the team. A great backup QB is a double edge sword. They rarely play or stay for the money/ position being offered. Campbell wanted to start and make starting money. Let him be delusional somewhere else.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
One obvious thing is the drop of in line play when McCown gets into the game. He looks decent with the rookie right side, even with Webb on the left side, but when the full #2 line is in it seems everything falls apart. Seems like a few of McCown's incompletions were receivers too. I know he's not going to come in and dominate ever but he can play and he's pretty smart with the ball. I liked him way better than Campbell.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

So today it`s JMac, man, when you get your hands on a player weenie, you never let go!

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We didn't sign McCown to kick ass in preseason. We signed him to make the team and mainly Cutler better through his insight and experience. The guy will be a NFL qb coach some day. Every team would be fucked losing their starter but maybe 4 not counting the Jets because they'd be fucked anyway.

Orton, Hassleback, Cousins, and Fitzpatrick might be the only ones I'd feel comfortable finishing a season and not pissing away the playoffs.

I`d take Shaun Hill over all of the above with the possible exception being Cousins, because he`s young with upside. But, since it`s the Lions, it`s a non-issue anyway.