The Window

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Rebuilding teams speak about the Window. That point where opportunity hopefully comes where true competitiveness happens to the point of domination. Not just making the Playoffs but being better than the other teams. Now that doesn't mean the best team wins, but it does provide the best consistent opportunity.

The Cubs were that team. Their window closed this year as other teams like the Brewers, Phillies, and Braves began their own windows this year.

In the American League, I think this is the end for the Red Sox window. If they don't win it all this year, in all honesty, I am not sure they even can make the playoffs in any consistent fashion anymore. They are stuck with trying to patch things together with Free Agents.

That brings me to the White Sox. The month of August they were one of the top teams out there and are a couple of games over .500 since the all star break. All this while trading away anything "not bolted." I see their window opening next season in 2019. Based on a favorable schedule I think they will be the AL Central and quite possibly the best record in baseball thru April. And as favorable as April is for the team, May is one of the most brutal months I can ever recall seeing. Right there, the first two months of the season in 2019, We'll know exactly how much the window is open. It's cracking open now, how wide will it get come 6-1-19?

I'm so excited about our four starters, especially with Giiolito improving so much. I'm ready for a Jimenez to start his big league career as soon as the extra year of service is in tow. Moncada for all his whiffs has really shown an outstanding eye at the plate and should be getting those looking k's reduced tremendously next year. I love the guys like Yolmer and TA. And talk about a way to keep the team energized, that necklace takes the cake.

In the words of the future hall of fame announcer Hawk Harrelson, "Don't stop now boys!"

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Is 2019 when we start adding free agents to the young talent or still a year early?

If they do start adding free agents I’m hoping they are more careful then Williams was. That guy added anyone that was a name at any age

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Is 2019 when we start adding free agents to the young talent or still a year early?

If they do start adding free agents I’m hoping they are more careful then Williams was. That guy added anyone that was a name at any age

That's a great question. I am not sure. Fifth starter I want to see Stephens get his shot at it.

Do we make a solid run after Bryce and/or Manny? Outside of that, I am not sure we are in a need at this point.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
That's a great question. I am not sure. Fifth starter I want to see Stephens get his shot at it.

Do we make a solid run after Bryce and/or Manny? Outside of that, I am not sure we are in a need at this point.

Bryce I hope not, Manny I hope so. Why not go after a starting pitcher too if you're really thinking about an open window?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Rebuilding teams speak about the Window. That point where opportunity hopefully comes where true competitiveness happens to the point of domination. Not just making the Playoffs but being better than the other teams. Now that doesn't mean the best team wins, but it does provide the best consistent opportunity.

The Cubs were that team. Their window closed this year as other teams like the Brewers, Phillies, and Braves began their own windows this year.

In the American League, I think this is the end for the Red Sox window. If they don't win it all this year, in all honesty, I am not sure they even can make the playoffs in any consistent fashion anymore. They are stuck with trying to patch things together with Free Agents.

That brings me to the White Sox. The month of August they were one of the top teams out there and are a couple of games over .500 since the all star break. All this while trading away anything "not bolted." I see their window opening next season in 2019. Based on a favorable schedule I think they will be the AL Central and quite possibly the best record in baseball thru April. And as favorable as April is for the team, May is one of the most brutal months I can ever recall seeing. Right there, the first two months of the season in 2019, We'll know exactly how much the window is open. It's cracking open now, how wide will it get come 6-1-19?

I'm so excited about our four starters, especially with Giiolito improving so much. I'm ready for a Jimenez to start his big league career as soon as the extra year of service is in tow. Moncada for all his whiffs has really shown an outstanding eye at the plate and should be getting those looking k's reduced tremendously next year. I love the guys like Yolmer and TA. And talk about a way to keep the team energized, that necklace takes the cake.

In the words of the future hall of fame announcer Hawk Harrelson, "Don't stop now boys!"

I’m a Sox fan but how did the Cubs’ window close? I don’t see it that way at all.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I’m a Sox fan but how did the Cubs’ window close? I don’t see it that way at all.

For the Cubs Window of playoffs it's still open, but closing. They aren't going to be guaranteed a playoff spot next year. I know nothing is guaranteed but the Cubs have come back a step and other teams in the NL have improved.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
The one we might go after is the one we already have. Shields at $10 million in a buy out/re-sign would be ok for me too.

Need someone better than Shields if this is the window. I'd be ok waiting one more year to see where you're at with all the youngsters and prospects.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Need someone better than Shields if this is the window. I'd be ok waiting one more year to see where you're at with all the youngsters and prospects.

I agree, but you look at what Shields has done on and off the field and I think a great case can be made on keeping him.

OldSoxfan

Liked Posts:
This Rebuilding is just talk from the Sox. No offense,but I don't believe it.
It's just an excuse for bad baseball and refusing to spend the money for proven players.

. Keep your expectations low.

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hawk is that you?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
This Rebuilding is just talk from the Sox. No offense,but I don't believe it.
It's just an excuse for bad baseball and refusing to spend the money for proven players.

. Keep your expectations low.

Welcome to the board. I hope you'll be an active contributor.

The team went the spend money route for years. It didn't work. It's time for a change and that's what they are doing. Gotta give the plan more than 2 years.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
As far as "windows" are concerned, I say 2019 is year-1 of that window cracking open. But truthfully 2020 is the year you expect to make a legitimate run at the WS. By that time we shouldn't have any holes in the roster at any position as well as a good amount of big league experience from our young, core guys.

Anybody that'll be a part of a deep playoff run in 2020 should be called up next year. Can't really expect rookies to contribute at the level you need to win the WS.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
As far as "windows" are concerned, I say 2019 is year-1 of that window cracking open. But truthfully 2020 is the year you expect to make a legitimate run at the WS. By that time we shouldn't have any holes in the roster at any position as well as a good amount of big league experience from our young, core guys.

Anybody that'll be a part of a deep playoff run in 2020 should be called up next year. Can't really expect rookies to contribute at the level you need to win the WS.

And we'llhave a lot of rookies in 2020. We can't say that it's a WS year, but it should be a drive for playoffs and continued for 2021, 2022, etc.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
And we'llhave a lot of rookies in 2020. We can't say that it's a WS year, but it should be a drive for playoffs and continued for 2021, 2022, etc.

Who do you expect to be rookies in 2020 that'll be major contributors? I feel like a majority of our core is already up minus Jimenez, Robert and a couple pictures.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Who do you expect to be rookies in 2020 that'll be major contributors? I feel like a majority of our core is already up minus Jimenez, Robert and a couple pictures.

Robert, Rutherford,Collins, Sheets, Robert, Madrigal

I don't see any of them to be ready in 2019.

for me, I don't start putting pressure on rookies to be high performers until three years into the bigs. If it happens earlier, great, but that's a lot to ask.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Add the pieces you need when they're available, not when you're ready.

If you can snag one of Machado or Haper this year then do it. Don't purposely pass on both and hope Nolan A is available next offseason.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
rofl at the White Sox getting Machado or Harper. hohohohohohohohohoho....that is why they shouldn't trade premium players because they can't sign them and they are hard to find.

You will never ever replace a Sale. You can replace his production for a year or two, and hope it lines up with your "window", you can minimize risk and trade him for a handful of possible pieces..but those pieces are all at risk everyday too. And maybe they won't sign with you long term on a team friendly contract like Sale did. To have a premium, and not figure it out is still unacceptable for this franchise.

More pertently...can they sign an Abreu level player or find one? I think not. Therefore he should never be on the trade block but with this office...thats all we here. They want to trade Abreu, and he probably doesn't make it to the start of 2019 or your precious "window." at all.

My opinion is that "windows" and building them mathmatically reduces your odds of ever winning, because you have forced all your odds into one year, while completely throwing out the rest.

Was a rebuild necessary? Yeah...I understand the Sox situation and starting over was necessary. But I think the "window" garbage is overrated. Just make sound decisions and try not to ever rebuild, remain competitive and when a "window" presents itself maybe you push all your chips in if you feel genuinely close. Sometimes it might be better to continue to make sound fiscal decisions and play the long term game continuously. Let the desperate and over confident make deals out of pressure, stay cool and keep your window open.

The biggest problem I have with OP...is this notion that the Red Sox "window" is closed after this year? How is that? Unlike the Sox...that orginization remains competitive year in and year out, has a couple premium pitchers, young superstars, and they know what the fuck they are doing in the hardest division in baseball.

I would kill to have their "closed window" on the southside, as its something we are unlikely to ever see again under this ownership group.

I don't see a window. Raking in the minors is one thing. Raking in your first year is one thing. (Sox Anderson, Braves Franceur...and that list goes on forever) Raking after some substantial at bats and data in the league? Bryant? Harper? etc...windows close.