Fangio leaving could make the Bears better - forrest through the trees edition

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
With the latest news breaking that Fangio has moved on to greener orange n blue pastures, Bears faithful is seemingly spiraling into a dumpster fire of self loathing and frenzy... I'm here to let you guys know its (potentially) not all bad and to just R-E-L-A-X for a quick min while I jizz some facts.

There was nothing special about the defensive coaching this last season. Sure, the team "showed up to play" nearly every sunday and showed impressive discipline in regards to penalties etc, but the defensive gameplan was very vanilla week in week out. The Bears were one of the HIGHEST teams to rush just 4 or 5 people on passing plays. The Bears were simply just more talented on the line, and could afford to almost never blitz while still maintaining constant pressure. This is a testament to the talent level, not the coaching freeing pass rushers. This is a positive going forward, obviously.

The Bears are a destination landing spot for literally any defensive coordinator. Their really isn't a better spot for any defensive coach to land. They would be coming in to a spot with a talented group of players, and a core that should be here for at least the next 2 years. This is seriously a dream job. The bears will have their pick of the litter, and can hire the best of the best. I won't throw out names, we know the top prospects as its been covered on this forum extensively.

Pace will get a chance to hire "his guy"... Fangio was hired about 10 days after Pace was hired. I have serious doubts Pace was very involved in that hiring considering the timeframe. This gives Pace a chance to expound a bit on his "vision", for better or worse. Lets see if his vision is more forrest or more trees.

12-4 boyos. Keep it positive. Better days are ahead. :bearbang:

msadows

Liked Posts:
No, I'd say the same defense being in a scheme for 3 years is a big deal. Brain farts happen even by talented players when a new scheme and playbook is introduced.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Fangios best ability was to get everything possible out of his players (ie Golfing with Fuller). I don’t think there’s anyone at the coordinator level that can provide this ability like Vic. It’s also why I think he is going to be a very successful HC. Also the main reason I wanted him to stay.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Fangio played with the wrong number of guys a lot vs the eagles too. Next guy wont be doing crap like that. Have fun playing 10 on 11 on crucial downs Denver!

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
He relied on having superior talent and not schemes.
He's in a very good situation on defense in Denver with Chubb & Miller.
Hopefully the next coordinator has more creativity than Fangio.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Good points..... but totally irrelevant unless they cut Long.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think Fangios best ability was to get everything possible out of his players (ie Golfing with Fuller). I don’t think there’s anyone at the coordinator level that can provide this ability like Vic. It’s also why I think he is going to be a very successful HC. Also the main reason I wanted him to stay.

I think Fangio is going to fall flat on his ass in Denver.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Fangio played with the wrong number of guys a lot vs the eagles too. Next guy wont be doing crap like that. Have fun playing 10 on 11 on crucial downs Denver!

He relied on having superior talent and not schemes.
He's in a very good situation on defense in Denver with Chubb & Miller.
Hopefully the next coordinator has more creativity than Fangio.

Good points..... but totally irrelevant unless they cut Long.

Thanks

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
As far as I'm concerned Fangio has zero loyalty, walking out on a great group of guys who almost played him into a superbowl, he got more money than any defensive coordinator ever, and just leaves at the first opportunity to have a better job title? To work with a GM who is even less loyal than him?

The only reason I see him doing this is if he thinks he has a better shot at a championship with case Keenum, than TRUBS.

SMH

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Expected Fangio to leave but never viewed it as a problem. The talent is already in place. Any old DC will do.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
It is Nagy's hire, he is the head coach. Not Pace.

The Bears defense dropped off with the same personnel each time going from Rivera to Babich and then from Marinelli to Mel Tucker.

Thanks.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
As far as I'm concerned Fangio has zero loyalty, walking out on a great group of guys who almost played him into a superbowl, he got more money than any defensive coordinator ever, and just leaves at the first opportunity to have a better job title? To work with a GM who is even less loyal than him?

The only reason I see him doing this is if he thinks he has a better shot at a championship with case Keenum, than TRUBS.

SMH

Oh yes the only reason is because Vic saw Keenum as an upgrade over Trubs lol.

Thanks.

mvnup2

Liked Posts:
"almost played him into a superbowl"

But we didn't win a single playoff game??

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I agree with the sentiment of the OP assuming they hire Todd Bowles. He will make the defense better than Fangio because he will be aggressive.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Vic's biggest problem has always been stubbornness. Yes, he had the luxury of not needing to blitz a lot with Mack and Hicks on the line, but these guys are human not androids. They aren't gonna be having All-Pro games every Sunday. You need to see it and adjust mid-game. Against the Eagles, the Bears' pass rush was rather pedestrian. The only job a defense really has in today's NFL is to get to the QB. Everything else really doesn't matter. Fangio didn't bring the heat enough against Foles when it was clear Mack and company were struggling a bit. If I don't have to blitz, why would I? But if I have to blitz, I can't be afraid to do so. That's something Vic never seemed to get.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The secondary is probably going to take a hit losing Fangio and his coverage schemes.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It is Nagy's hire, he is the head coach. Not Pace.

The Bears defense dropped off with the same personnel each time going from Rivera to Babich and then from Marinelli to Mel Tucker.

Thanks.

Literally the same personnel? Year after year?

Factually inaccurate, be gone thot or there will be noggin kicks.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The secondary is probably going to take a hit losing Fangio and his coverage schemes.

Just speculation, you have no idea if the secondary will get worse or better. Fangio's coverage "schemes" were/are extremely generic. Watch some tape once in a while.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agree with douche. Fangio will bomb as a HC. Anyway, not like the Bears had a choice. He wanted to be The Guy :shrug: