Gardening

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
So I threw the seed mat under the remaining plugs this morning, and by this afternoon another scorpion pepper popped up. Who knows what will happen with the rest of them, but hopefully I get a few more stragglers to the group.

Still trying to figure out the the dirt situation.

blinddeafmute

Liked Posts:
So I threw the seed mat under the remaining plugs this morning, and by this afternoon another scorpion pepper popped up. Who knows what will happen with the rest of them, but hopefully I get a few more stragglers to the group.

Still trying to figure out the the dirt situation.

Are you moving them outside at some point? I would recommend getting them out in the wind as much as possible from the time they initially sprout. If not they will grow long and spindly and will not be sturdy enough to carry their own weight once they start growing fruit.

I typically start from seed, but this year I didn't have time. I haven't even cleaned off my garden yet. In the fall I pile all of the leaves from the yard on the garden and then either burn them off or clean them off before I plant anything.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Are you moving them outside at some point? I would recommend getting them out in the wind as much as possible from the time they initially sprout. If not they will grow long and spindly and will not be sturdy enough to carry their own weight once they start growing fruit.

I typically start from seed, but this year I didn't have time. I haven't even cleaned off my garden yet. In the fall I pile all of the leaves from the yard on the garden and then either burn them off or clean them off before I plant anything.

I have them established indoors. I am just about to start the hardening process. I will be moving them outdoors in short shifts in the shade to start.

blinddeafmute

Liked Posts:
I have them established indoors. I am just about to start the hardening process. I will be moving them outdoors in short shifts in the shade to start.

Nice,
The first year I decided to grow a bunch of jalapenos to make chipotles I worked on them all spring. I had around 30 plants. Planted them outside and the next day they were all gone. I didn't know I needed to cage them to keep the rabbits out of them. Either rabbits or deer had eaten them all. I was pretty pissed off to say the least.

These are my tomato plants from last year. I can a lot of tomatoes and also dry them in the dehydrator to make sun-dried tomatoes. The sun dried one's are great to add to pasta dishes, or just throw on a sandwich for some super concentrated flavor.

Attachments

• TOMATO PLANTS.jpg
    TOMATO PLANTS.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 3

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
hardening has begun. Basically just opened a window that doesn't get direct sunlight and let them feel the cool breeze. They are starting to look like actual plants. I expect the growth spurt to happen soon.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
May not get a garden this year. Calling for rain almost every damn day for next 2-3 weeks. Farmers are losing their minds with many fields looking like ponds.
Looks like we'll be growing things in pots on the deck.

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
May not get a garden this year. Calling for rain almost every damn day for next 2-3 weeks. Farmers are losing their minds with many fields looking like ponds.
Looks like we'll be growing things in pots on the deck.
My sweet corn is going in ground May 17th or around that time, ( pumpkins watermellons cantaloupe)i hope i have good weather to work with. I have 10 elevated garden beds i will be putting in tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, beans and what ever else the wife wants. I'm putting the elevated garden on one of my hay wagons this weekend. If there is a chance of frost i just put hay-wagon in the barn.

Last edited:

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Every day I'm hardening.

Edit: Also planted a bunch of Lavender which does amazingly well in New Mexico. I expect the bees will love it instead of me.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
So I went natural this year thanks to @Crystallas and bought a flame thrower that connects to a propane tank. I burned all the vegetation in my 4 8x4 plots. Hoping to plant it all this Sunday.

Going with a few types of lettuce (my first attempt)
several tomato plants (bigt boy, roma, cherry)
Several pepper plants (sweet, habanero, jalapeno, cayenne <-- first time for that one)
And some cucumbers

oober

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Planted the garden this weekend. Ya I like peppers and tomatoes. Will be planting some broccoli, brussel sprouts, and various herbs next weekend. That will about do it for this yr. Might do some green onions between tomatoes before they get big.

Bush cucumbers for pickles
Big Bertha green peppers
Whopper green peppers
Anaheim peppers
Jalepeno peppers
Sport peppers for pickling
Beefmaster tomatoes
Steakhouse tomatoes
Jet star tomatoes
Celebrity tomatoes
Sugary grape tomatoes
A couple of different sweet peppers

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Had some weird weather hijinks that seemed to slow everything down.

Planted in the high seventies and have been back and forth two or three times to forties to eighties. Seems like we are finally going to warm up which usually gets the plants drinking better.

Strange spring here in terms of weather.

oober

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Brett, get yourself a couple bags of peat moss, that will help to make your planting less soggy. Don't forget the slow release fertilizer in the bottom of the holes. I have used Osmicote for 20 yrs and have had great success.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Brett, get yourself a couple bags of peat moss, that will help to make your planting less soggy. Don't forget the slow release fertilizer in the bottom of the holes. I have used Osmicote for 20 yrs and have had great success.
Perfect.
I bought garden soil. First time. Got 5 Cu Ft. The stuff looked like just awesome. A mulchy soil with slow release that claims 120 days of feeding. I did as you suggested, I put some in the hole first and then added around the plants. We are still getting quite a bit of rain, but the plants all look fine for the four days they've been in the ground. This week should be drier and warm so I am expecting a good growth movement in the next 7-10 days.

Thanks oober!

oober

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Perfect.
I bought garden soil. First time. Got 5 Cu Ft. The stuff looked like just awesome. A mulchy soil with slow release that claims 120 days of feeding. I did as you suggested, I put some in the hole first and then added around the plants. We are still getting quite a bit of rain, but the plants all look fine for the four days they've been in the ground. This week should be drier and warm so I am expecting a good growth movement in the next 7-10 days.

Thanks oober!

Awesome. Best of luck.. Did some re purposing of stuff. We bought a new bed and had 2 box springs to get rid of. Decided to remove the fabric and lean against the fence, added some solar lights and planted some pole beans at the base. Look awesome at night when we are sitting outside at night and have a great trellis for some beans.

In between the rows of tomatoes planted some radishes, will be harvesting before the tomatoes block the sun out.

Re purposed the plastic containers you can buy cat litter in, filled with fresh compost from my bin and planted sweet basil, fennel and romaine lettuce. If the containers work out will get some of that plastic paint and make them look better next yr.

Planted my sugar snap peas snack garden next to the patio also...

oober

Staff member
Liked Posts:
If anyone wants a pic of the box spring trellis, PM me a phone number and I will text it to you..

oober

Staff member
Liked Posts:
So I went natural this year thanks to @Crystallas and bought a flame thrower that connects to a propane tank. I burned all the vegetation in my 4 8x4 plots. Hoping to plant it all this Sunday.

Going with a few types of lettuce (my first attempt)
several tomato plants (bigt boy, roma, cherry)
Several pepper plants (sweet, habanero, jalapeno, cayenne <-- first time for that one)
And some cucumbers

With roma, I have struggled with blossom end rot in the past, there are some preventative measures you can take, look on Youtube, you will get some great advice.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If anyone wants a pic of the box spring trellis, PM me a phone number and I will text it to you..

Could you post a few of the picks here? Curious as to it all looks.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
With roma, I have struggled with blossom end rot in the past, there are some preventative measures you can take, look on Youtube, you will get some great advice.
Tip rot is a calcium deficiency. Can be fixed with a foliar spray.