IST: Cubs vs. Rockies

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
And we give up a run over it!! Im not a big fan of Bryant in the OF anymore.

But Joe HAD to get Descalso in the game today. I was surprised Bote got the start. Two of the best right fielders in the past 30 years both on the bench on a sunny afternoon game

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Shitty loss. O looked uninterested. Made some mistakes. Move on to tomorrow

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Blaming the manager is pretty stupid when you can't get more than one run off a very unremarkable baby faced pitcher. So maybe Heyward makes that catch but his lone AB was probably the ugliest in the whole game. You still lose.

I thought only Mike Murphy blamed the manager for every loss....I guess I was mistaken.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Shitty loss. O looked uninterested. Made some mistakes. Move on to tomorrow

They have a goal to win series. They always look disinterested after winning the first two.

Not just saying Heyward would have made that catch, Cargo would have too.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
After I saw the line up I felt a loss inc.

Descanasio sucks.

Cargo pushes Contreras down to #6. Which extends the line up.

Today was
Bote ok
Then shit.

Basically they were giving up after the 5th hitter.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Personally IDC if it is Bote or Russell at 2B. They both have brought positive values to the position.

Descalso should be limited to PH. That is it. Right now he is barely better than a pitcher hitting.

Regardless they have 4 legit OF. They don't need Bryant out there. They want to give Heyward a day off well that is why Almora is there. But Joe decided to give up 2 positions in O value. That is what happens.

wRC+
Schwarber 99
Bryant 141
Rizzo 150
Baez 137
Cargo 77
Contreras 153
Heyward 104
Bote 126

Bench:
4th OF Almora 87
UI Russell 97
PH Descalso 58
BU C Caratini 151

It is really that easy.

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Joe seems to think he owes a minimum amount of playing time to every player on the roster.

I like flexibility and versatility.

But it is not little league. He does not need to appease Descalso’s parents.

And why is Descalso playing ten times more than LaStella ever did.? (Not that I wanted more of LaStella over Russell or Baez)

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Joe seems to think he owes a minimum amount of playing time to every player on the roster.

I like flexibility and versatility.

But it is not little league. He does not need to appease Descalso’s parents.

And why is Descalso playing ten times more than LaStella ever did.? (Not that I wanted more of LaStella over Russell or Baez)

Justify a contract.

• 19:$1.5M, 20:$2.5M, 21:$3.5M club option ($1M buyout)
  • performance bonuses based on plate appearances: $50,000 each for 425, 450, 475 PA. $0.1M for 500 PA.
To me that is some dumb crap honestly adding PA's to him. He pushes a 58 wRC+ and then you push his PA's up to the next tier...for what reason? Because he has a major league deal.....WTF is that?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But PA's

Bryant 257
Baez 254
Rizzo 252
Heyward 231
Schwarber231
Contreras 210

All except Schwarber (99) are above 100 wRC+ so pretty justified use.

Now the rest

Almora 186 Bat is soft but his D justifies it.
Bote 168 He should be the starting 2B. 126 wRC+ fuck the next guy.
Descalso 151 wasted PA of 58 wRC+ crap.
Zo not really counted anymore
Russell 76 missed a month but decent usage. 97 wRC+ again not wasted with his solid D. Again a arguement can be made with him or Bote but Bote is raking ATM and it should be a clear answer.
Cartini 46 PA interrupted by injury. He has come down to earth post injury. Decent back up catcher though.
Zag.. 39 joke PH PA

That is the reality. It really shouldn't be this musical chairs going on. There is a clear vision if you look at the data.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Schwarber with two more strike threes looking today. its an epidemic with him. Even before Ommy said anything, I have always thought he had to be up there for most K's looking.

Might be so.

I just think it is glaring because his production is league avg right now.

But SO%
Baez 31.1
Schwarber 27.7
Contreras 27.1
Descalso 25.8
Bote 25.0
Caratini 23.9
Russell 19.7
Bryant 19.5
Heyward 16.0
Almora 15.6
Rizzo 13.9

I think that the biggest issue is not his walks but his BABIP

.268 really is killing him right now. Rizzo is at .272 which is a little better but the main difference is strike outs. 13.9 vs 27.7. He is putting the ball into play more. BB% Schwarber 13.9 vs Rizzo 11.1 Almost a wash.

So it is really coming down to becoming more aggressive in the count IMO. walks happen. They want to not throws strikes then fine. But there is no reason why he should be either walking to 1st or the dugout 42% of his AB's. His ISO is .211. He can do damage.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Schwarber with two more strike threes looking today. its an epidemic with him. Even before Ommy said anything, I have always thought he had to be up there for most K's looking.
This is more a function of the type of hitter he is. Schwarber strikes out looking 37.5% of his k's. But that's frankly not indicative of a "bad" thing. There's really good hitters who are "worse" than him. Brantley is 45.5%. Votto is 43.4%. Acuna is 41.3%. Betts is 40.0%.....etc.

The issue is more his swinging strike%. With the exception of Votto and Acuna those other players have better bat to ball skills. Votto and Acuna have 15.5% and 17.5% swinging strike% to Schwarber's 17.9%. Point here being, it's not so much an issue of him striking out looking. It's an issue of him needing a better approach when he does swing at strikes. If you see as many pitches as he does you're going to strike out looking a fair amount. That just goes with the territory and as mentioned above it's not even "bad" on it's own.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This is more a function of the type of hitter he is. Schwarber strikes out looking 37.5% of his k's. But that's frankly not indicative of a "bad" thing. There's really good hitters who are "worse" than him. Brantley is 45.5%. Votto is 43.4%. Acuna is 41.3%. Betts is 40.0%.....etc.

The issue is more his swinging strike%. With the exception of Votto and Acuna those other players have better bat to ball skills. Votto and Acuna have 15.5% and 17.5% swinging strike% to Schwarber's 17.9%. Point here being, it's not so much an issue of him striking out looking. It's an issue of him needing a better approach when he does swing at strikes. If you see as many pitches as he does you're going to strike out looking a fair amount. That just goes with the territory and as mentioned above it's not even "bad" on it's own.

Ya. If his BABIP was .350 then all of this would be over shadowed.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Personally IDC if it is Bote or Russell at 2B. They both have brought positive values to the position.

Descalso should be limited to PH. That is it. Right now he is barely better than a pitcher hitting.

Regardless they have 4 legit OF. They don't need Bryant out there. They want to give Heyward a day off well that is why Almora is there. But Joe decided to give up 2 positions in O value. That is what happens.

It is really that easy.

Almora? That is why Cargo is there. After the first diving catch on the track running towards the brick wall, (which Heyward would never have done) there should be no more question about the ability of cargo playing right field. He has historically been better than Heyward against lefties. Maybe it was that second game they could have played Almora with Cargo instead of playing them together.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Almora? That is why Cargo is there. After the first diving catch on the track running towards the brick wall, (which Heyward would never have done) there should be no more question about the ability of cargo playing right field. He has historically been better than Heyward against lefties. Maybe it was that second game they could have played Almora with Cargo instead of playing them together.

I wouldn't be against a lead off platoon of Cargo and Almora. Switch Heyward back and forth.

Then put Schwarber between Baez and Contreras. Get him out of walk monkey mind.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Why cant you all just say Schwarber sucks..lol

You dig hard for numbers to give him some light but bottom line is he just plain sucks..

Yeah, he'll he give you some walks and have a nice game or two hitting a homer but overall he sucks...

It ok to say it..lol

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Heyward has issues with the Wrigley brick wall

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't be against a lead off platoon of Cargo and Almora. Switch Heyward back and forth.

Then put Schwarber between Baez and Contreras. Get him out of walk monkey mind.

Well, you know me, I think Baez is the best leadoff guy we have, speed, tenacity, changes at bats for the guys behind him when he is on base disrupting pitchers. Now that Rizzo is leading the team in RBI, maybe its time to put him where he belongs, just stuck with the too many lefties. I would rather have Bryant running ahead of Rizzo or Schwarber or Cargo on the bases, but the LRLRLRLRL deal puts a righty in the 4 hole.

Today its back to Rizzo leading off with Bryant, Cargo in left, Baez,