IST: Cubs @ Rockies

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I have said it many times that Schwarber always seems to get a bad pitch called a strike, but that was not the case in the ninth. But the pitches he takes for strike three (with the notable exception earlier in the year) are almost always perfect strikes.

Wasn't referring to the Schwarber AB.....he got caught looking for another fastball. It was more the whole game....hell, all of MLB in damn near every game. It continues to be real bad.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Jap-son did win twice this year.

The Cubs scored 7 and 9 in those games.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Wasn't referring to the Schwarber AB.....he got caught looking for another fastball. It was more the whole game....hell, all of MLB in damn near every game. It continues to be real bad.
I realize that. I was talking about my own comments that he usually gets screwed. But that was not the case in any AB I saw tonight, and none of the post-March called third strikes that I have seen (and there have been dozens) were bad calls.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Yall need to take some Ambien. The Sun will rise tomorrow
It's all good.
It's not like we didn't write the game off when we saw who was starting.

Hope we fare better against the rookie. I expect we will, but he shut us down last week.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
9th time Schwarber has looked at a 3rd strike in the past 2 weeks

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
9th time Schwarber has looked at a 3rd strike in the past 2 weeks

You just keep going back to that 12 pitch at bat where he was fouling off pitches just off the plate before an oppo home run. None of those were on the corner, but this mentality of forgetting yesterday sure seems to forget about the good stuff too. How this team continues to guess with two strikes is mind boggling.

As far as the rest of the game, Cishek was really not in tune with Caratini and it threw him off. I understand Darvish wants a quiet guy back there, hold up the glove wide and give him a target with no movement. He was bothered by Wolters in the on deck when he walked behind the plate. What happened to on deck circles anyway?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Was reading something talking about the rangers targeting controllable starters and it made me think maybe there's some kind of deal involving Monty and them. I wouldn't think they are necessarily trying to win this year though they are 35-30 surprisingly. So, given that I'm not entirely sure they'd be willing to part with relievers. However, the cubs and rangers like to trade.... a lot.

Perhaps some form of a 3 team deal would make sense. Something along the lines of Monty for prospects and then prospects to the third team for whatever reliever. Monty is under control for 2 and a half more seasons and while he's not a super upside type he's probably a fairly decent back of the rotation arm. If you think back to the rebuilding cubs trading for Travis Wood, I'd argue Monty is more valuable than Wood was at the time and Marshall was a pretty good reliever prior to the trade.

I don't know just struck me as a novel way of approaching dead line moves. I have a tough time seeing Monty making a bunch of sense long term for the cubs. While he could theoretically compete for Hamels slot in the rotation, you also have Chatwood and Alzolay is going to put himself into that competition as well. Plus behind those guys there is a slew of arms in AA, A+ A....etc. And he's not the prototypical reliever arm out of the bullpen.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Was reading something talking about the rangers targeting controllable starters and it made me think maybe there's some kind of deal involving Monty and them. I wouldn't think they are necessarily trying to win this year though they are 35-30 surprisingly. So, given that I'm not entirely sure they'd be willing to part with relievers. However, the cubs and rangers like to trade.... a lot.

Perhaps some form of a 3 team deal would make sense. Something along the lines of Monty for prospects and then prospects to the third team for whatever reliever. Monty is under control for 2 and a half more seasons and while he's not a super upside type he's probably a fairly decent back of the rotation arm. If you think back to the rebuilding cubs trading for Travis Wood, I'd argue Monty is more valuable than Wood was at the time and Marshall was a pretty good reliever prior to the trade.

I don't know just struck me as a novel way of approaching dead line moves. I have a tough time seeing Monty making a bunch of sense long term for the cubs. While he could theoretically compete for Hamels slot in the rotation, you also have Chatwood and Alzolay is going to put himself into that competition as well. Plus behind those guys there is a slew of arms in AA, A+ A....etc. And he's not the prototypical reliever arm out of the bullpen.

I read that on MLBTR also.

I was thinking Chatwood and promote Alozay to clear payroll. The return would not matter as much.

But their real need is a LH arm. I just don't see them off loading more prospects to do this.

So I would approach this as.

1. what do the Cubs need.
2. What are they willing to pay.

So on need.
High leverage lefty.

That is really it.

What are they willing to pay.

Happ and a interesting arm would be my guess. Or a even flip involving Chatwood and promote Alozay.

But looking at the arms out there. Will Smith seems a likely candidate as a rent. I don't know if they would even swap Chatwood. You never know with their level of rotation turn over. But you would think that they would want a prospect package in return and the Cubs ar not a match up.

So over all I think that they hold the deck unless a team wants a Chatwood for a Smith or that level.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I would think they would want to try Cedeno up here, just seems he keeps getting injured. Maybe they are afraid with more failures that the price goes up for Doolittle or Smith. But that is basically the two that will be having a bidding war from 6 playoff worthy teams.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I was thinking Chatwood and promote Alozay to clear payroll.
I mean I get why the cubs would want to do this but I'm not sure why the rangers would. He's not particularly controllable. He's not particularly good. If you're literally just looking for a guy to fill the roster spot ok but I'm not sure you trade for someone like that.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would think they would want to try Cedeno up here, just seems he keeps getting injured. Maybe they are afraid with more failures that the price goes up for Doolittle or Smith. But that is basically the two that will be having a bidding war from 6 playoff worthy teams.

Most teams are in a holding pattern on Cleveland and if te make Hand available.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I mean I get why the cubs would want to do this but I'm not sure why the rangers would. He's not particularly controllable. He's not particularly good. If you're literally just looking for a guy to fill the roster spot ok but I'm not sure you trade for someone like that.

Do they even have anyone that the Cubs would want?

Cubs need a leverage lefty I doubt that they are making any deals unless that is on the table.

As of right now the Cubs have.

Kimbrel 9
Strop 8
Cishek 7 and giving the last two a break on a win streak.
Kintzler helping Cishek in above situations. More of a ahead type.
Brach most likely phantom DL
Ryan low pressure guy but holds a solid SO/9.
Edwards good SO and BB/9 guy ad he is mostly over the plate with his 4.
Chatwood GB guy ATM. I don't see him utilized in multi innings.
Montgomery. Multi inning guy. Last game was more so rust vs anything else. He has seen limited action.

So honestly they really need to do nothing unless Morrow beats the odds. Then that becomes a interesting decision. But I could see them sitting on that until Sept to condition his arm with out costing roster movements

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Do they even have anyone that the Cubs would want?

Cubs need a leverage lefty I doubt that they are making any deals unless that is on the table.

As of right now the Cubs have.

Kimbrel 9
Strop 8
Cishek 7 and giving the last two a break on a win streak.
Kintzler helping Cishek in above situations. More of a ahead type.
Brach most likely phantom DL
Ryan low pressure guy but holds a solid SO/9.
Edwards good SO and BB/9 guy ad he is mostly over the plate with his 4.
Chatwood GB guy ATM. I don't see him utilized in multi innings.
Montgomery. Multi inning guy. Last game was more so rust vs anything else. He has seen limited action.

So honestly they really need to do nothing unless Morrow beats the odds. Then that becomes a interesting decision. But I could see them sitting on that until Sept to condition his arm with out costing roster movements
Well they have Jose Leclerc who hasn't been great but was good last year but like I said, I don't know that they make sense in of themselves. IMO, if there's a move to be had it's Monty for prospects and prospects for another teams situation. Normally 3 team deals are fairly difficult to work out but given the relationship between texas and the cubs front office(they've hired former cubs execs recently) I don't think it's going to be particularly difficult for those teams to come together. It would be more about finding a third team that wanted rangers prospects.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I read that even with Kimbrel signing the Cubs were “interested in” Will Smith, but at what cost?
And keeping tabs on what teams are asking doesn’t necessarily mean we have any real shot, but he has been as good as any lefty. I apologize for forgetting the metric used to measure effectiveness but Smith was top lefty, followed by Hand, Chapman, Hader.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Also, FWIW in relatively small sample, but since his recall Carl’s Jr is best in mlb at opponents BA and OBP

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, FWIW in relatively small sample, but since his recall Carl’s Jr is best in mlb at opponents BA and OBP
Maddon has every though to keep him in the loop. Dude is shut down when he isnt in his head. I found it funny no one mentioned him. But, the cost for a reliever this year and going to be way more than the past. No team has a sominant bullpen. Astros may be the closest and they have their trouble. Dodgers bullpen implodes which is scary considereing their record. Super tough lineup..

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Maddon has every though to keep him in the loop. Dude is shut down when he isnt in his head. I found it funny no one mentioned him. But, the cost for a reliever this year and going to be way more than the past. No team has a sominant bullpen. Astros may be the closest and they have their trouble. Dodgers bullpen implodes which is scary considereing their record. Super tough lineup..

Electric stuff.....just needs to throw more strikes with it.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Nice throw, Chunky!!!!! Almost makes up for those 9 third strike calls in the last 2 weeks :)