What are your thoughts on Cubs-Rockies beanball wars?

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Posting this here because when I went to the Cubs-Rockies thread in our trusty Cubs subforum, no one was really talking about this...I guess they were too busy 'arguing' over Carl Edwards' WHIP (It's 1.00! He's been very good! Giving up 3 HRs in 7 hits is 'unlucky'!) and pontificating over how the Cubs 2019 World Series rotation will look with gems like these...
Today is an example why I didn't say push Hamels to the pen.

Anyway, who doesn't love a good beanball war? For all the bogus "umpire warnings" and bench-clearing 'staredowns', I find it incredible that the Cubs-Rockies beanball war was allowed to exist. Last year, the Rockies derailed Kris Bryant's season when they hit him in the head. This year, Bryant is hit twice on consecutive pitches, and nothing happens. No bogus warnings. No reprisals. The game goes on. You'd think MLB would be overly-sensitive to Bryant getting hit by Rockies pitchers after what happened in 2018. Maddon even sits Bryant out in the final game of the series and publicly states its because the Rockies keep hitting him with pitches.

So what happens? More Cubs get hit by pitches. Baez almost gets decapitated. Still no warnings. When Hamels finally responds by hitting a Rockies player, Hamels himself gets hit by a pitch when he is batting. The only thing more amazing than MLB's inaction is Rockies manager Bud Black saying after the game, "It didn't look right to me." Gee, ya think?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The umps didn't get a handle on this early.

KB got hit twice Tuesday. There is a history of the Rocks hitting KB and the Umps should have given notice at the beginning of the game to both teams.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Knowing what we know about concussions and CTE... any mouthbreather that willingly throws at someones head should be suspended minimum one game.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Know what you meant but with pitchers that needs to be 5 games and really, if it's determined intention, give him 15 days and make him miss 2 starts.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. What the heck did Ghandi know though?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. What the heck did Ghandi know though?

gandhiwar-625x350.jpg

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Like fighting in hockey....beanball wars in baseball are one of the dumbest things in sports today
Incredibly stupid. There's no reason to risk an injury that could do damage to your lineup because of antiquated unwritten rules and the Fun Police.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Incredibly stupid. There's no reason to risk an injury that could do damage to your lineup because of antiquated unwritten rules and the Fun Police.

I remember in RBI it was always faster to simply hit the batter than intentionally walking them. I thought it could be a good "speed up the game" thing for 2019 MLB, too.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I couldn’t believe at the very least warnings weren’t issued after Hamels was hit. Honestly without warnings yet, Shaw should have been ejected. Warnings really should have been issued after Arenado lost it. That was poor umpiring

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I couldn’t believe at the very least warnings weren’t issued after Hamels was hit. Honestly without warnings yet, Shaw should have been ejected. Warnings really should have been issued after Arenado lost it. That was poor umpiring

Yeah. I loved how this 'incident' in a recent Braves-Pirates game resulted in a pitcher ejection...

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I'm not a fan of throwing at a batter. It makes no sense to me. It also doesn't make sense that they would throw near the head at all either. My thing with this situation was, yeah they threw a little too high at Arenado but what was he complaining about? I get the high part but how was he not expecting being hit?

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I'm not a fan of throwing at a batter. It makes no sense to me. It also doesn't make sense that they would throw near the head at all either. My thing with this situation was, yeah they threw a little too high at Arenado but what was he complaining about? I get the high part but how was he not expecting being hit?

I like this description of Arenado getting hit..."he acts like he got shot by 1000 bullets"

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
made me miss Kyle Farnsworth. Could you imagine if Rizzo rushed the mound against that 120 pounder? Probably make the kid never pitch inside again.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
made me miss Kyle Farnsworth. Could you imagine if Rizzo rushed the mound against that 120 pounder? Probably make the kid never pitch inside again.
Could you imagine Rizzo breaking his hand, and missing the rest of the season because he needs to charge the mound? That selfish act could cost a team their season.