Cutler deserves higher ranking Bears Top 100 ?

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Nope. They’re both average at best, though Trubisky can still prove he’s better.
I’m very confused by your stupidity. Mitch’s passer rating was 95 and was 16th in the league, or average. Mitch’s Rate+ was 107 which is above average but close enough to average to not make a difference. Since these stats in themselves are averages, that would mean when Mitch is at his best he’s above average.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No. Cutler is everything that’s wrong with the Bears organization. We settled for QBs like him that were nothing more than a band aid at best and it cost us numerous Super Bowls. He was never better than average in Chicago.

2010 and 2012 were the years. Maybe 2011 but you can't blame injury on him. He should have done much better in 2013 too but the defense wasn't good enough anyway. But 2010 and 2012 were the years they could definitely have won superbowls with better QB play. He was garbage against GB in the NFCC even before the injury.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Jay was his own worst enemy most times. He had all the talent and no drive.

It looked like had no drive because of his personality, but we don't know that. He was obviously not your average sports jock type personality (neither is Rodgers).

The reason Cutler's production never lived up to his physical talent is because he didn't process football well at NFL speed. Slow to see and anticipate things develop down the field, on both sides of the ball. In college he got away with it because of him arm, but the speed of the NFL game overwhelmed him.

This part is just my guess, but i think one of the reasons he fumbled every time someone touched him from 2013 onwards is because he eventually put so much focus on trying to get better at processing the game that he just lost pocket focus, followed by confidence. His arm was less of a feature later than it was in his 5 or so years in the league.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
2010 and 2012 were the years. Maybe 2011 but you can't blame injury on him. He should have done much better in 2013 too but the defense wasn't good enough anyway. But 2010 and 2012 were the years they could definitely have won superbowls with better QB play. He was garbage against GB in the NFCC even before the injury.
Not to mention 2006 and 86 (due to McMahon’s injury). It’s a damn shame this franchise hasn’t been able to (and still hasn’t if Trubisky doesn’t progress) figure out the QB position because the Bears could be looked at as a top 3 and arguably best NFL franchise if they had competent QB play for those seasons.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
Kind of crazy he played QB in the NFL with diabetes though.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seriously, is run and shoot an actual poster or a bot? I mean, his posting style is not that of a human being. What’s with the constant reposting of the same links as is found in the OP in the very same thread? And I feel like he does this consistently. This has got to be some type of spambot.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
bZWGK.gif

Is the WestCoastBearsFan the dog in the gif?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not to mention 2006 and 86 (due to McMahon’s injury). It’s a damn shame this franchise hasn’t been able to (and still hasn’t if Trubisky doesn’t progress) figure out the QB position because the Bears could be looked at as a top 3 and arguably best NFL franchise if they had competent QB play for those seasons.
McMahon was abysmal in 86 prior to his injury

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Agreed
In recent history, management has done a poor job with Qb's
However, the article does talk about some of good Qb's we've had
and where jay ranks. Take a look at the link below.

Jay Cutler deserves a higher ranking on Bears Top 100 list

The article is terrible. Lots of nonsense about Cutler's alleged awesomeness, and very little in terms of comparing Cutler to other Bears QBs, which is the entire point. Here is the only relevant statement from the entire article:

Quarterbacks listed ahead of Cutler on the list so far include Bill Wade, Johnny Lujack, and Jim McMahon, who is ranked 53rd.

Wade was named to the Pro Bowl in 1963 and helped lead the Bears to the NFL Championship. Lujack was named to two Pro-Bowls in 1950 and 1950 and led the league in passing touchdowns with 23 in 1949. McMahon helped the Bears win the Super Bowl in 1985 and was named to the Pro Bowl that season also.

As great as those quarterbacks were, Cutler was both more talented and productive than them. Wade and Lujack’s played in a league that was still running game reliant and passing was still seen a novelty.

First, the definition of QB is debatable, as Paddy Driscoll was ranked 32 and the 2nd best QB in Bears history, but since he was a single-wing TB he's not mentioned.

Second, while Cutler had physical tools, there was no way he was more talented than Johnny Lujack. None. And that is probably the weakest argument for Cutler to be ranked higher, as 'talent' is subjective and Cutler's performance apparently didn't match his talent.

Third, I love the dismissing of Wade and Lujack because they allegedly played in a league when passing was still seen 'a novelty'. Wouldn't that make Lujack's 1949 season with 23 passing TDs MORE impressive, not LESS impressive? Lujack led the NFL in yards and TDs. He threw for 221.5 yards per game...which was more than three of Cutler's Bear season totals. 23 TDs in 12 games extrapolated to a 16-game schedule would be 31 TDs...higher than any Cutler season.

Guys like Rudy Bukich and Ed Brown had years where they led the NFL in passing. Billy Wade and Jim McMahon won titles. Lujack was an extraordinary talent whose career was cut short by injury. Cutler's only bullet point is longevity...he held the position longer than nearly any other Bears QB. Cool. It would be like the Dolphins putting out their own Top 100 list and then people complaining "why isn't Jay Fielder higher on the list? Bob Griese played in a league where passing was a novelty!".

Terrible article.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

I agree with this.

Not much of a Jay Cutler fan, but ranking him higher than some blind drunken frat boy that got dragged to a Super Bowl win by one of the GOAT NFL Defenses is just meatball bias.

So yes OP...he should be ranked higher.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Of course this is a completely subjective ranking so I am not sure stats always need be the deciding factor of the ranking process.

Cutler was more athletic than McMahon but no where near successful. McMahon won more than twice as many games as he lost...Actually had a decent record even after leaving the Bears.

And if you look at their Rate+ stats McMahon was a better QB during his era than Cutler was.

I have no problem with McMahon being rated higher.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

I agree with this.

Not much of a Jay Cutler fan, but ranking him higher than some blind drunken frat boy that got dragged to a Super Bowl win by one of the GOAT NFL Defenses is just meatball bias.

So yes OP...he should be ranked higher.

Most of the 85 Bears were filled with what you could characteristically call drunken assholes.

McMahon was an absolute leader on that team. There was no dragging him along for the ride. Yes the defense was great and could take over in games, but the guys looked to McMahon on offense.

Compare the Minnesota game that year where he rallied them back. I can't think of a game Cutler did anything like that.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
And if you look at their Rate+ stats McMahon was a better QB during his era than Cutler was.

Also, would it have been possible for the 1980's Bears to win 3 postseason games in a row with Cutler as QB? You'd have to figure with so many opportunities, Cutler would have a clunker game that might have resulted in a loss.

In the 1985 playoff run, McMahon had a 106 rating and the Bears had early leads of 7-0, 10-0, and 13-3 in their playoff games. I don't think that happens if Cutler is the QB of the 1985 Bears.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, would it have been possible for the 1980's Bears to win 3 postseason games in a row with Cutler as QB? You'd have to figure with so many opportunities, Cutler would have a clunker game that might have resulted in a loss.

In the 1985 playoff run, McMahon had a 106 rating and the Bears had early leads of 7-0, 10-0, and 13-3 in their playoff games. I don't think that happens if Cutler is the QB of the 1985 Bears.

I never felt like McMahon thru as many wtf interceptions as Cutler.

McMahon was a big game QB, Cutler really never seemed to rise to the occasion.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it's shameful that Cutler is in the Bears top 100 at all. He was truly a bitch.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Most of the 85 Bears were filled with what you could characteristically call drunken

Totally.

I was told a story by a New Orleans bartender about ol' Mongo trashed out of his mind deciding to drop a pile of coke on the bar and go to town. He was not an easy person to eject from a bar apparently.

All the same...McMahon was every bit as inconsistent and uncoachable as Cutler. The Minny Game was epic, but the bulk of his career felt like a long drawn out sigh.

Throw in the fact he was our QB during by angst ridden teenage years and you will never talk me out of my irrational hatred for the "Punky QB".

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
If I had done the Top 100 list, I wouldn't have ranked any of the McMahon/Wade/Lujack/Cutler group of QBs higher than 85th.