Early Returns for the Rookie Class

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Disagree, I see him making a huge impact as a starter on the team. Potential to be one of the top backs in the NFL. HAs all the traits and I watched plenty of his games in college. I wanted Anthony Miller last year and Motgomery was my guy in this draft, was surprised the Bears were able to land him. So much positive news coming out for this rookie class. Can't wait for training camp to start in a month.

I am on the fence with him. His college tape doesn’t convince me he can do it at this level.

I don’t know if he is a guy that can do what he does with limited snaps.

I don’t see him getting the touches that Howard got last year.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I was just saying yesterday that we're gonna have to wait and see with Montgomery

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It's possible Montgomery might do well this season.

Bort

Liked Posts:
I am on the fence with him. His college tape doesn’t convince me he can do it at this level.

I don’t know if he is a guy that can do what he does with limited snaps.

I don’t see him getting the touches that Howard got last year.

This is interesting. You usually have pretty good opinions about prospects. I watched a lot of film on Montgomery, and I'm completely convinced that he's going to be an excellent feature back in the NFL (and I'm usually pretty cautious in making definitive judgments like that since there's always some uncertainty when projecting what guys will do at the next level). What games did you watch?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is interesting. You usually have pretty good opinions about prospects. I watched a lot of film on Montgomery, and I'm completely convinced that he's going to be an excellent feature back in the NFL (and I'm usually pretty cautious in making definitive judgments like that since there's always some uncertainty when projecting what guys will do at the next level). What games did you watch?

I don’t recall all of them but it wasn’t a highlight reel. It was several games of every down he played.

I could be off base on this but I’m wondering if he will be successful if teams pay too much attention to him. My fear on him is that he needs a certain amount of touches to do what he does. But given the NFL speed, will he be able to overcome defenses enough to warrant the touches.

I don’t think he will get the touches Howard got. Davis is on the team and will get his share.

If he truly can make the most out of his opportunities and overcome NFL defensive speed then he can be the guy.

I’m just not sold that his ability will translate from college speed to pro speed.

edit.....I don't get the same assurdness that I got when I looked at Cohen in college......Cohen to me was a guy that could make anyone miss, Montgomery is a guy that can make average guys or unsure tacklers miss.

Last edited:

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Honestly if he does, at least that eliminates RB (in last year's case Jordan Howard, according to @msadows and @Visionman) as the player holding back Trubisky from being elite in Nagy's offense...
Funny distinction (for me) to make... but I always only read folks saying Howard was holding Nagy's offense back, but not holding Trubisky back. Could this be a valid distinction?

Last edited:

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Funny distinction to make... but I always only read folks saying Howard was holding Nagy's offense back, but not holding Trubisky back. Could this be a valid distinction?
I believe that the latter was implied but perhaps I am jumping to a conclusion there.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Modo's opinion is always valid but I would have posted the same as you did. I liked him before the draft and was happy to get him.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I don’t recall all of them but it wasn’t a highlight reel. It was several games of every down he played.

I could be off base on this but I’m wondering if he will be successful if teams pay too much attention to him. My fear on him is that he needs a certain amount of touches to do what he does. But given the NFL speed, will he be able to overcome defenses enough to warrant the touches.

I don’t think he will get the touches Howard got. Davis is on the team and will get his share.

If he truly can make the most out of his opportunities and overcome NFL defensive speed then he can be the guy.

I’m just not sold that his ability will translate from college speed to pro speed.
I agree no RB is going to get the attempts that Howard got.

I guess Nagy had no faith Cohen could rush up the middle, he was certainly underutilized. I don't know why that would change this year.

I think Nagy will ceremonially start with Davis... but Nagy seems the type to not only ignore that sort of tradition, but the way he talks about Monty, and how he looks so far, I'd guess Monty is going to be the featured back very quickly, especially if he does well receiving and blocking. That, and if Davis appears to be stymied at rushing, or otherwise unimpressive. I'd predict Davis will look pretty good, but Monty will appear to have an extra quickness and escape-ability that will lead to more attempts.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Davis is a good point and it will limit Montgomery a bit but that's not a bad thing when you've got 2 guys that fit better than last year. There have been a few posts about individual contributions being limited by #s. I have no problem with it as long as the sum is there.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree no RB is going to get the attempts that Howard got.

I guess Nagy had no faith Cohen could rush up the middle, he was certainly underutilized. I don't know why that would change this year.

I think Nagy will ceremonially start with Davis... but Nagy seems the type to not only ignore that sort of tradition, but the way he talks about Monty, and how he looks so far, I'd guess Monty is going to be the featured back very quickly, especially if he does well receiving and blocking. That, and if Davis appears to be stymied at rushing, or otherwise unimpressive. I'd predict Davis will look pretty good, but Monty will appear to have an extra quickness and escape-ability that will lead to more attempts.

Cohen is not a guy I want going up the middle consistently...that should be a surprise play.

If Mizzell was actually worth anything he would have got more touches and taken away from Howard.

I know why they drafted Montgomery and I think he will have some success but I am not sure he is a feature back that can do it play in and out if teams key on him.

His best bet is going to exploit the mismatches on a wide open style of play.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know some talking heads have predicted big numbers for Montgomery and possible rookie of the year. I don't see Nagy putting that much of his offense in the hands of a rookie. I see Davis sharing a lot of time with him back there.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I find it surprising how often Davis is ignored when the RB situation is discussed. It was like we had this unfillable hole before the draft when it clearly wasn't the case. We needed more bodies with the right skill set but Davis is no slouch. Cunningham and Howard are gone. I expect Mizzell to be gone as well. Who's the 3rd guy to step in? Is that Patterson's slot or will another draft day guy fill it?

That said, right or wrong, we did trade up for Montgomery so I'm sure Nagy's expectations are rather high and am pretty sure that he had a lot to do with it. This is exactly what happened with Kareem Hunt. Nagy had the hots for him and KC moved up in 3 to secure him. Not saying they are the same player but am saying that Nagy is likely expecting a Full Monty.

Last edited: