Gardening

oober

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I south eastern WI, anyone in the area struggling with pepper plants this yr? I think some of mine have fertilizer burn, but not quite sure. Other veggies (mainly tomatoes) doing great.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I south eastern WI, anyone in the area struggling with pepper plants this yr? I think some of mine have fertilizer burn, but not quite sure. Other veggies (mainly tomatoes) doing great.
Can you describe what's happening?

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Put some Miracle Grow® on the flowers and plants today.

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1/2 cup of crushed egg shells, crushed pretty fine .
1/2 cup of dry powdered milk
1/2 cup of epson salt
1 table spoon of baking soda
mix it up all together
This will make enough for 6 tomato or pepper plants
Spread around base of plants maybe like a 6' diameter
1 time every 2 weeks.
I live in North Western Wi.
@oober

oober

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I pulled up some youtube videos and found what I was looking for. I pulled out the dirt around the plant, soaked in water in a bucket for a 1/2 hour, pulled some fresh compost and planted in it. I can see new leaves starting to grow so I may have saved the plant.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
My garden got pea sized hail today.... We will assess the damages later. Fucking Stoopid New Mexico weather.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
My garden is rocking it this year

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
All of my face melting peppers are alive and well.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Took down 4 spaghetti squash and the first butternut. I am going to have to get help eating these for sure. There is at least another ten squash that will be ready in the next few weeks.

Also am pulling about ten Jalapenos every other day.

Ghosts are starting to flower, and Habaneros have a bunch of green fruit currently.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I got my first tomato this week, didn't get them in until mid June but they've taken off pretty good.

Jalapenos are loaded but not quite big enough, I also have a Durango pepper plant that has 3 or 4 small starts and a lot more blossoms, curious to see what these will be like.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Made my first batch of hot sauce last week before I left for vacay.

It was about thirty Jalapenos, ten Habaneros, and 4 Ghost peppers.

Boiled with some ACV, blended, added some salt and sugar to taste. Came out delicious and fucking HOT.

oober

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Peppers did not work out this yr, tomatoes have killed it though. I did have some blight problems and decided to use some copper fungicide, tomato plants still look good and producing while most people I have talk to this yr have lost all of there plants.

Planted some beets, radishes, spinach, broccoli, and cauliflower for a fall garden.

After I harvest the fall garden I am going to do a over winter soil amendment of a variety of plantings from Johnny seeds. I believe the seed are some type of pea, dicon radishes, hairy vetch, and a couple of others. Want to keep working on improving the soil.

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Peppers did not work out this yr, tomatoes have killed it though. I did have some blight problems and decided to use some copper fungicide, tomato plants still look good and producing while most people I have talk to this yr have lost all of there plants.

Planted some beets, radishes, spinach, broccoli, and cauliflower for a fall garden.

After I harvest the fall garden I am going to do a over winter soil amendment of a variety of plantings from Johnny seeds. I believe the seed are some type of pea, dicon radishes, hairy vetch, and a couple of others. Want to keep working on improving the soil.
You live in wisconsin have you ever tried seeds from Jung?

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Winding down the summer growing season, processed mega quantities of 5 different types of eggplant. Made a large amount of Persian eggplant stew which I slow roasted for 12 hours along with my garden onions, San Marzano tomatoes, and garlic (plus seasoning). Really tasty but it could be improved with some mild heat. Also made eggplant fries in the air fryer.

Next I made enough pickling brine for 10 gallons of chilis, I mixed pardons with guajillo, pasilla, hatch, aji amarillo, billy biker jalapenos, chipotle jalapenos, plus a couple others. Will let those cure in 1-gallon mason jars for 3 weeks and then randomly fish some out to melt my face.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Winding down the summer growing season, processed mega quantities of 5 different types of eggplant. Made a large amount of Persian eggplant stew which I slow roasted for 12 hours along with my garden onions, San Marzano tomatoes, and garlic (plus seasoning). Really tasty but it could be improved with some mild heat. Also made eggplant fries in the air fryer.

That sounds lie it would be really good. It's hard to imagine the true flavor of all that stuff together. I love eggplant though, never had it in soup though.