Should Pace get another chance to draft a QB?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Let's say things turn out sour and the Bears go 8-8 and Trubisky regresses from last year. I say 8-8 because with the Bears defense, I think even if the Bears offense is 2004 bad, that is the worst we are going.

Do you fire an 8-8 GM one year removed from the playoffs? You still have elite talent all over the defense that is young. You have a young RB and young receivers as well who have promise.

It's a tough decision IMO. We don't even have a pick next year until the Raiders 2nd rounder. Hopefully that is in the 30s.

What's your take?

BobInIndy

Liked Posts:
I don't think drafting a QB is the answer.
We don't have 2 or 3 years for development.
It would seem more likely that we would trade for a QB.
That way we'd at least know what caliber of QB we're getting.
I'm not sure Pace has the eye for a good QB prospect, so I'd look for input from Nagy.
Recognize that Pagano was a head coach.
It's possible that Pagano could assume that role, if Nagy/Pace mess the offense up.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I don't think drafting a QB is the answer.
We don't have 2 or 3 years for development.
It would seem more likely that we would trade for a QB.
That way we'd at least know what caliber of QB we're getting.
I'm not sure Pace has the eye for a good QB prospect, so I'd look for input from Nagy.
Recognize that Pagano was a head coach.
It's possible that Pagano could assume that role, if Nagy/Pace mess the offense up.
Who is going to trade a QB of value without getting a king's ransom? What non-starting QB's would you say are better than Mitch? Mullins perhaps?

KoreanBear

Liked Posts:
He was high on Mariota and look at how that's turning out.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Nagy put Mitch in a position to fail in week #1. Let’s take a breath.

However, in the spirit of the thread, you make point about the youth of the cast but don’t see the time a new QB will take to develop plus the obvious salary cap issues starting next year. Mitch is the guy till 2021.

If no Championship by then Nagy/Pace might be gone.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
He'll get another chance unless this year is a Trestman/McAdoo style collapse.

TishLover

Liked Posts:
I say one more chance. His other lower picks seem very good to build up this team. Since no one can be sure about any picks I think one more chance isn't too much to ask.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Nagy put Mitch in a position to fail in week #1. Let’s take a breath.

However, in the spirit of the thread, you make point about the youth of the cast but don’t see the time a new QB will take to develop plus the obvious salary cap issues starting next year. Mitch is the guy till 2021.

If no Championship by then Nagy/Pace might be gone.

I dont know how much longer they are even going to include Mitch in the 2017 quarterback draft discussion, other than to say it was not only wrong to trade up to take him, he was the wrong one to take.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bull fucking shit. I and many others were all aboard the draft Watson train.

So did I, but that isn't the majority of Bears fans. The main argument at the time was between the people who wanted a quarterback in the 1st and the fans who wanted a defender with Kizer or Peterman or some other bum in later rounds.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Absolutely he should get a chance to not only draft another QB, but also to completely rebuild this defense if we miss this window. I like him to be our GM for the next 2 decades.

This roster was horrendous when he showed up and he has significantly improved this team. Had his misses of course, every GM does.

If the Bears have a winning season you can't fire a GM who completely rebuilt a team and got them to 2 straight winning seasons in a tough division. Can't fire him over Trubisky and White.

Pace is only 42 and the arrow is up for him.