What Should Happen if Mitch Doesn't Develop

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
With mounting evidence that Mitch is not progressing to the heights that we were hoping for it is probably time to think about what the Bears should do to get out of this mess.

I am not saying that they are going to dump Mitch or that they should flush him, I am saying a plan should be put in place if he is simply an average/inconsistent QB.

My Plan

1. Take Ryan Pace behind the wood shed and beat him, but you do not fire him.

The media, fans, George McCaskey should destroy Ryan Pace for his conviction on Trubisky, for the organizational "consensus", for the trade up, all of it. You cannot miss on the 2nd pick in the draft and simply shrug your shoulders and move on. Pace went all in on Trubisky and even traded up for him, his failure while not life threatening, should be a body blow to Pace.

On the flip side he is drafting too well right now for the team to move on from him.

2. Empower Matt Nagy.

I think that this is fair consequence for Pace. Nagy has already defacto become the face of the franchise, now he answers directly to Ted and George and Pace goes down a rung. There has to be some tangible consequences for a miss of this magnitude.

3. Pick up Mitch's 5th year option.

It would be idiotic not to. It is only guaranteed for long term injury and if the light bulb does go on in year 4, which is unlikely, you have him locked up for a reasonable rate. If in year 4 he loses his job or continues to play "meh" football you rescind the tag and move on. There is no point in releasing Mitch before his 5th year as his money in 2020 is guaranteed.

4. Look for veteran competition.

I am no longer super interested in paying Chase Daniel 5-6 million/season to be a mentor for a guy who does not improve and grow. So Daniel can take a walk. The issue with a veteran option is price. The Bears have some serious contracts to deal with in 2020 and I am not sure they can afford an Alex Smith type player even at an injury reduced rate.

5. Let Nagy pick someone in the draft.

Let Nagy pick a guy in this draft and draft them regardless of round. He likes a guy in the 2nd, take him. He likes a guy in the 3rd or 4th, take him. He likes a guy in the 5th take him. There has to be a rookie QB drafted to compete and now we have Nagy making the choice and not Pace who clearly sucks at QB evaluation. Nagy's hand picked guy legitimately competes with Trubisky and we see what happens.

6. Be prepared to draft a guy round 1 in 2021.

It sucks to be in this position, but if Trubisky does not work out you have to be ready to go all in again. We have a tight window with the increasing cap cost of the defense and the Bears need to continue to be bold at QB.

Username

Liked Posts:
Maybe let Nagy pick one, but after this thing they went through to find a kicker, I don't know....

Last edited:

Tostada

Liked Posts:
How about, calm the fuck down. Better question, how do we get an oline like Dallas'. While Mitch faced 23 pressures, numerous hurries, hits, and sacks. The great Dak faced 1 lite pressure on 33 dropbacks, 0 hits, 0 hurries, 0 sacks, that's the issue. You compare Trubs to Mahomes, I'll do my comparisons.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
c) hibernate until we have a first round pick again, probably will be high hehehehehe

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
How many 2021 mock drafts have you made since the game, Windy? You can be honest. You're among friends.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How about, calm the fuck down. Better question, how do we get an oline like Dallas'. While Mitch faced 23 pressures, numerous hurries, hits, and sacks. The great Dak faced 1 lite pressure on 33 dropbacks, 0 hits, 0 hurries, 0 sacks, that's the issue. You compare Trubs to Mahomes, I'll do my comparisons.

As I said this is a thought exercise about what happens if the poor play continues. I am sure this exact conversation has happened between Nagy and Pace.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This is very premature, but since it is the topic of the thread....

If Trubisky doesn't continue to develop and looks like shit throughout the season and on a consistent basis, do the Bears explore trade partners? Certainly he would have some trade value. Take what picks you can get, flip them +2nd rounder for a first and draft a guy in 2020.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is very premature, but since it is the topic of the thread....

If Trubisky doesn't continue to develop and looks like shit throughout the season and on a consistent basis, do the Bears explore trade partners? Certainly he would have some trade value. Take what picks you can get, flip them +2nd rounder for a first and draft a guy in 2020.

I am not sure he would have the value for that. I think he is here in 2020 no matter what happens, the question is really about how they go about getting competition at QB.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Didn’t Nagy and Reid prefer Trubisky to Mahomes and Watson? Wasn’t it Veach that wanted Mahomes?

@Toast88 posted that take and he’s in the KC media.

The woodshed thing is ridiculous. The guy has built the best defense in football. Nobody is perfect.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I am not sure he would have the value for that. I think he is here in 2020 no matter what happens, the question is really about how they go about getting competition at QB.
Say Trubisky puts up a similar stat line as last year. What round value would you give him? 3rd? 4th?

I have to think there is some team and some coach out there that thinks they can fix him or mold him into a franchise guy.

Monster

Liked Posts:
Didn’t Nagy and Reid prefer Trubisky to Mahomes and Watson? Wasn’t it Veach that wanted Mahomes?

The woodshed thing is ridiculous. The guy has built the best defense in football. Nobody is perfect.

A lot of people did....
Hindsight is always 20/20

Tostada

Liked Posts:
As I said this is a thought exercise about what happens if the poor play continues. I am sure this exact conversation has happened between Nagy and Pace.
Fair enough, they have to go draft again. But this is 2 years away at the soonest. Mitch needs to grow, no doubt. We all knew that. The pace of pressure has accelerated because of the 'Mack deal'. Trubs needs to take more lumps like Thursday, hate to say it.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
At minimum we have to get someone to push Mitch other than Chase Daniel. He is clearly only a fill in type guy for a couple weeks and in no way a threat to start. If mitch keep sucking into mid season, you gotta get something else brewing

Monster

Liked Posts:
At minimum we have to get someone to push Mitch other than Chase Daniel. He is clearly only a fill in type guy for a couple weeks and in no way a threat to start. If mitch keep sucking into mid season, you gotta get something else brewing

Luke Falk...

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Either trade Mack or trade into the first round during this draft with our 2 second round picks.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Ryan Pace is turning out to be Jerry Angelo all over again.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

It doesn't matter what the media reported about KC and who they liked. What matters is the decision.

Pace should face some consequences for blowing his biggest decisions as GM.

One Team

Liked Posts:
The media, fans, George McCaskey should destroy Ryan Pace for his conviction on Trubisky, for the organizational "consensus", for the trade up, all of it.

Don't believe you should ever knock someone for having conviction in their decisions...right or wrong a 'wet rag' decision maker is for sure doomed.

Picking individual athletes to fit into an organization of dozens is not an exact science...or else you and I would be doing it.

Whether picking athletes/employees, stocks, or your next home...you do your research, scrutinize your assumptions, know your pain thresholds, exercise discipline and try and put the odds of success on your side.