What I want to see from Pace

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If the Bears are going to give Mitch another shot at this thing, and his recent play has made that more likely and reasonable, I want to see Ryan Pace actually commit to ensuring that he is effective and can produce.

I think that this season has made some things painfully clear to the Bears and I need to see out GM react to the reality of what we have and what we are.

1. Mitch is not the pure pocket passer that they had hoped

They tried. No one can fault them for not trying to realize Pace's vision for Mitch, but the truth is that is not who he is and the longer they try and force it the worse it got. Mitch can play from the pocket, but he comes alive when he is running around making plays and not over thinking. Patrick Mannelly said it best on The Score, he said that Mitch is not a stand back there and count to 4 and let everything develop QB, he is a count to 2 QB and then go do something QB. We are seeing around the league that you do not need to be a count to 4 QB for your team to be successful. The Bears are in the playoffs with this version of Mitch and they are missing the playoffs with the depressed robot version from earlier in the season. Do what Mitch does well and slowly add things. Stop trying to force 202 down everyone's throats.

Let Mitch be Mitch.

2. Mitch is not going to raise everyone around him consistently

We know Mitch is not in the "overcome" issues category of QBs, which is fine because 3/4 of the NFL is not in that category and those guys are rare. So, lets stop asking him to overcome serious personnel issues on offense and build the talent around him. Lets make sure that there is competent TE play. Lets move the line from okay to good. The Bears go into most games with a personnel disadvantage in the trenches and that asks your OL to do a ton. Buffalo, Baltimore, SF, are all proving that you do not need a HOF pocket passer to win games if you can physically control the game on offense. The Bears cannot and a huge part of the issues early in the season is that they just got ass whooped at OL and TE. There is no surprise that they have improved when some guys like Shaheen, Long, Massie, Burton all hit the bench.

Improve the offensive personnel.

3. Mitch does better when he is not getting pressured

The OL is not good enough. They have been good for a couple of weeks and Mitch has come alive, but early in the season they were horrendous and it only made Mitch more horrendous. Mitch cannot overcome poor OL play. The Bears can no longer be okay with "average". If they want to maximize what they get from Mitch and Nagy's offense, or really any QB for that matter, they need the line to move towards dominant. They need to be able to run the ball, they need play action to work, they need Mitch to be able to use good mechanics and step into throws, that all comes with getting better players up front. Pace should know this, New Orleans has had one of the best OLs in the league the entire Brees era. Armstead, Ramzcyk, Warford, Peat, McCoy, all highly drafted and well paid and really good. Before that it was Bushrod, Nicks, Unger, Evans, Strief, again a top 5 unit in the NFL.

The OL can no longer be average, solid, good enough.

4. Enough of the midgets

There is a world where Mitch can take advantage of the small, fast guys in space, but it is not this world. He has struggled to get the ball to Gabriel down field, Gabriel has generated next to no YAC for the Bears. The same can be said for Cohen, but he is more of a threat from the backfield. All of a sudden Wims comes in and Mitch is able to consistently find him, Wims generates some YAC, the offense looks better. Mitch is not a pin point passer, shocking I know, get some dudes on the field with size and catch radius that can make up for his lack of pin point accuracy. This is not only about Mitch, on the Miller RPO TD you saw Patterson absolutely stone the DB that had the best chance of getting Miller. Well Patterson is 6'3" 230lbs and you saw it there and on his big YAC run later, that size only helps in the screen game and the YAC game.

Give him bigger targets and more margin for era.

Rob Noxious

Liked Posts:
Nice post Windy, thank you. Agree with everything you said

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Looking at the 4 game run as a whole on if you go into 2020 hoping for 1 last hurrah with Mitch, or if you FO is desperately looking for his replacement. Regardless of my opinion on the player, Mitch is 1/1 for "can start next year" games in this stretch, so for the meantime lets assume that's the way forward.

A big point for me if you keep #10 going forward:

* Competent backup QB - "Good Mitch" has a playstyle that leads to contact, and hence missing games to injury. Even if you expect Mitch to start, the Bears need to upgrade the backup position; Chase Daniel is not an acceptable level for the backup QB. 2 guys that will likely be available for a backup contract (<5M a year) and are clear upgrades to Chase: Mariota and Keenum. Both also have starting experience, and if necessary can "compete" with Mitch for the starting spot.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Build a team around a guy who’s supposed to make everyone around him better but doesn’t.

Awful idea imo.

Your building a team around maximizing what you have.

Everything suggested would benefit a young QB when and if they are drafted.

The reality is that Mitch is more than likely the QB in 2020, a year that I hope the Bears will compete, so we should probably build to win in 2020.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Looking at the 4 game run as a whole on if you go into 2020 hoping for 1 last hurrah with Mitch, or if you FO is desperately looking for his replacement. Regardless of my opinion on the player, Mitch is 1/1 for "can start next year" games in this stretch, so for the meantime lets assume that's the way forward.

A big point for me if you keep #10 going forward:

* Competent backup QB - "Good Mitch" has a playstyle that leads to contact, and hence missing games to injury. Even if you expect Mitch to start, the Bears need to upgrade the backup position; Chase Daniel is not an acceptable level for the backup QB. 2 guys that will likely be available for a backup contract (<5M a year) and are clear upgrades to Chase: Mariota and Keenum. Both also have starting experience, and if necessary can "compete" with Mitch for the starting spot.

Agreed, they need a legit "break glass in case of emergency option".

Mariota makes the most sense.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
As long as you dont eventually pay that guy like one who makes everyone better, it is possible.

But that's the key...don't overpay for Mitch...

Agreed. Even more so, I would add that even if a QB IS one who makes everyone better, a GM should STILL not overpay. Look at GB for example when Rodgers got paid. He still makes WRs look good but there seems like a lack of running threat or O-line additions to dominate the trenches which would help him a lot more ... or Brady's pay restrictions so he can make sure he has better weapons. I am not even sure the QBs who do make everyone better is justification for the over-priced contracts that still end up haunting teams and their abilities to sign better players.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Agreed. Even more so, I would add that even if a QB IS one who makes everyone better, a GM should STILL not overpay. Look at GB for example when Rodgers got paid. He still makes WRs look good but there seems like a lack of running threat or O-line additions to dominate the trenches which would help him a lot more ... or Brady's pay restrictions so he can make sure he has better weapons. I am not even sure the QBs who do make everyone better is justification for the over-priced contracts that still end up haunting teams and their abilities to sign better players.

I agree. Mitch would have to make a massive step before discussion of money.

Right now we are talking about supporting him so we can get a Dak/Cousins level of play out of him.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I’m still not fooled by two games. I believe Bears head into ‘20 with a QB competition that Mitch loses. He has 3 weeks to convince me otherwise.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I’m still not fooled by two games. I believe Bears head into ‘20 with a QB competition that Mitch loses. He has 3 weeks to convince me otherwise.

To who?

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Absolutely agree on the OL assessment. The problem is there is a mismatch in what needs to be upgraded and resources available to make that happen. There is a complete hole at G, and two avg at best T’s that were recently extended. Pace rolled the dice on both T’s progressing rather regressing and Long being healthy enough to be useful. He crapped out on all 3 bets that he made.
You don’t recover from that bad gambling streak over night when you are cap challenged as well as draft capital challenged.
Sure, it could be fixed if you want to ignore everything else, ie CB, TE, OLB, back up QB.
I’m betting that Pace stands pat on his existing T bet for next year and addresses it the following year.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Andy Dalton

If you hate Mitch you will very likely also hate Andy Dalton. His warts were covered up by their scheme and talent for much of his career but they are really similar to Mitch's.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If you hate Mitch you will very likely also hate Andy Dalton. His warts were covered up by their scheme and talent for much of his career but they are really similar to Mitch's.
I don’t hate Mitch.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
I don’t hate Mitch.
As a QB you do. I do too. He’s not really great at anything and your QB needs to do *something* really well to build on. Can anybody actually tell me what he does at an above average level? And don’t say his legs because he doesn’t use them enough.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
What’s the alternative? Let guys like Rodgers and Brady walk for the sake of having a better run game? That’s dumb. At the end of the day they want to get paid too, and they hold the entire organization and it’s future hostage at contract time.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Build a team around a guy who’s supposed to make everyone around him better but doesn’t.

Awful idea imo.

Overall, I agree. But anytime you want to throw multiple resources at the offensive line, I'm game. A strong offensive line will turn Monty into a top 5 back (book it) and will give Mitch or whoever is next in line a helluva head start.

And fuck the midgets. I wholeheartedly agree!