The 2020 Personnel Discussion: Offense

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'd be shocked if the Bears invest much outside of draft picks on the Oline. They have money tied up in Leno, Whitehair and Massie.

They may pick up up a backup at guard or cut and resign Long for cheap and roll with what they have while trying to pick up a backup or two in FA or draft.

I agree to a point, because the free agency options are not great. The top guys will more than likely be tagged or re-signed.

Whitehair and Massie's guaranteed money is up at 2020 so I would like to see them get someone in here who can be developed to take their jobs later in 2020 or 2021.

RG could easily be upgraded in the 2nd round.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Long is done in the NFL imo.

This is probably a pipe dream but would Washington take a second and Leno for Trent Williams? Leno's cap hit if traded is only $8m in 2020 and $9m in 2021, then UFA. Would the Bears want Williams on a three year deal at that cost?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree to a point, because the free agency options are not great. The top guys will more than likely be tagged or re-signed.

Whitehair and Massie's guaranteed money is up at 2020 so I would like to see them get someone in here who can be developed to take their jobs later in 2020 or 2021.

RG could easily be upgraded in the 2nd round.

Whitehair is not going anywhere. Massie, much different story

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I was wondering if we could try massie at RG, move leno to RT and then get a big boy LT

Leno is too soft to play RT. I think you probably better off getting someone capable of playing both RT/LT and then replace whoever is the weakest link.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't think Leno is safe

I could see Leno in a camp battle with a draft pick and him being released if he does not win, but the savings is not a ton so he might stick around.

There just isn't a lot in free agency at OT.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The toughest part is at TE.

The TE market is not strong in the draft or in free agency.

The Bears may need to get creative and swing a trade for a young guy who is stuck on a depth chart somewhere.

kg1187

Liked Posts:
So you don’t think addressing the teams biggest weakness would be wise for two guys you believe will be fighting for their jobs?

Do to cap and pick restraints and with how unmovable Massie and Leno are they have no other choice other than to hope they rebound to their 2018 levels of play.

Like it or not the Bears are stuck with Massie and Leno for next season.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Do to cap and pick restraints and with how unmovable Massie and Leno are they have no other choice other than to hope they rebound to their 2018 levels of play.

Like it or not the Bears are stuck with Massie and Leno for next season.

On the roster and guaranteed starters are 2 different things.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
On the roster and guaranteed starters are 2 different things.

Nagy is vet friendly.....I am not sure there would be real competition at those positions if you know what I mean.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nagy is vet friendly.....I am not sure there would be real competition at those positions if you know what I mean.

With the amount of shit he took this season I doubt that is the case.

Leno and Massie were not good enough this season, I would expect that he is not going to put his job in their hands again.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Rd 2 isn't where you draft solid LTs. Especially not ones that can start year 1.

If we're looking for OL starters for next year, finding a Massie replacement early in the draft is a much better bet. I would favor a vet RG if we aren't happy with Bars or Coward.

kg1187

Liked Posts:
With the amount of shit he took this season I doubt that is the case.

Leno and Massie were not good enough this season, I would expect that he is not going to put his job in their hands again.

I doubt they carry backup linemen who make 8-10 million a season. They'll both play somewhere on the line.

Massie would get beat like drum playing LT so he's not even in the discussion for swing tackle.

The Bears are bent over the barrel on these two because of Pace's maneuvering last off season. Add a mid round flyer for the swing tackle job and hope and pray.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Rd 2 isn't where you draft solid LTs. Especially not ones that can start year 1.

If we're looking for OL starters for next year, finding a Massie replacement early in the draft is a much better bet. I would favor a vet RG if we aren't happy with Bars or Coward.

I would draft an OT in the 2nd round and let him try and take either OTs job.

I think you can find starting OTs in the 2nd round, even if they do not take a job week 1, which is rare for any rookie.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I doubt they carry backup linemen who make 8-10 million a season. They'll both play somewhere on the line.

Massie would get beat like drum playing LT so he's not even in the discussion for swing tackle.

The Bears are bent over the barrel on these two because of Pace's maneuvering last off season. Add a mid round flyer for the swing tackle job and hope and pray.

You can carry an 8-10 million backup if your starter is making 1.5 million.

Add talent and play the best 5.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My ideal OL scenario

LT: Leno vs 2nd round pick

Leno is average on his best days and he needs competition even if it does not beat him out week 1, you need to start the development process and give yourself options.

LG: Daniels

He is better at LG, leave him.

C: Whitehair

RG: Coward vs Bars vs 5th round pick

Put 3 young guys into a competition and let the best OG play. The others provide nice depth.

RT: Massie vs Lucas

Lucas has been better, but I suspect Massie wins this competition, but make him work over the summer and we know Lucas can hold up as a starter for short stints.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Another argument for investing a 2nd round pick at OT is what happens if Chuck Leno gets hurt?

kg1187

Liked Posts:
You can carry an 8-10 million backup if your starter is making 1.5 million.

Add talent and play the best 5.

We both know that when big contracts are involved the best players don't always start.
My ideal OL scenario

LT: Leno vs 2nd round pick

Leno is average on his best days and he needs competition even if it does not beat him out week 1, you need to start the development process and give yourself options.

LG: Daniels

He is better at LG, leave him.

C: Whitehair

RG: Coward vs Bars vs 5th round pick

Put 3 young guys into a competition and let the best OG play. The others provide nice depth.

RT: Massie vs Lucas

Lucas has been better, but I suspect Massie wins this competition, but make him work over the summer and we know Lucas can hold up as a starter for short stints.

Either you're taking a backup OT in the second round or you have a swing tackle making 8.5 million next season a team with very little cap space. If you want to make a big investment on the line add a proven RG or draft one in the second round.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
7.5 in dead cap to cut Burton

Don't care. He's a liability. He's a wasted spot. Injury—mental or physical—is keeping him from doing anything worthwhile. I sympathize, as a human being, just don't want him on my team. He is, by fantasy points, the #61 TE in the NFL. He can't be counted on for anything. And a QB without a TE he can trust, get in a rhythm with...will suffer.