Trajectory of the 2019 Season

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As for Nagy not running the ball enough, jesus chris people.

Nagy has shown that he uses the pass to set up the run. He has clearly demonstrated that. If the pass isn't working, he is NOT going to abandon it EVER. Thats what his offensive approach is and he has shown its not going to change.

When the pass game isn't working, the run game is going to flounder and he is going to stray from it. Nagy has shown this over and over and over.

He just is NOT EVER going to use the run to set up the pass. Nagy uses the run to keep the D honest and burn clock and not a whole lot more. He is gon run this O through the QB and thats just all there is to it.

Well that in itself does not put the QB and the team necessarily in the best position to win. Example, the Packers run defense is horrible. He calls 47 pass plays and 8 runs. Same game - the Packers are in a dime defense the whole game. He calls 47 pass plays and 8 run plays. You can't succeed like that.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The way I would sum up your post is you're saying Nagy has stuck with Trub. What do I think about that? He could have gone to Daniels, but he didn't play that much better, and that wouldn't develop your 2nd over pick in Mitch. I don't see what other choice Nagy could have made.

Nagy could have converted to a John Fox offense.

Which some people on here were actually calling for. But you're right, he stuck with Trubs.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well that in itself does not put the QB and the team necessarily in the best position to win. Example, the Packers run defense is horrible. He calls 47 pass plays and 8 runs. Same game - the Packers are in a dime defense the whole game. He calls 47 pass plays and 8 run plays. You can't succeed like that.

again, not saying its smart. just saying thats who Nagy is. Almost the same approach as Andy Reid.

when the QB is clicking, it looks beautiful. If the QB falters, the whole fucking thing comes down.

which is what we have seen.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
again, not saying its smart. just saying thats who Nagy is. Almost the same approach as Andy Reid.

when the QB is clicking, it looks beautiful. If the QB falters, the whole fucking thing comes down.

which is what we have seen.

Yes, I agree with you. But the QB is much less likely to click when the defense does not have to defend against the run. And I do think that Nagy is going through a learning experience.

I do agree with your post.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
He literally treats the run exactly like the Chiefs or like Peyton Manning used to. Its only ever going to work if the passing game is also producing.

Which means that if the pass game isn't working, the run game is also going to look like shit and Nagy is just gon lean harder into the pass. Which is exactly what we have seen play out in games where Trubs struggles.

I think you are confusing cause and effect here. Increased production in the run is an effect of Trubs getting it together, not a cause.

btw, I am not saying that is smart - just that its who Nagy is as a coach.

It isn't just the run pass percentage. Its the type of plays he is calling. He is calling more traditional play action.....they weren't really doing that before.

I think increased running efficiency has to do with better run blocking. Montgomery wasn't seeing the wholes he saw before.

I think both the running and passing game benefited from more traditional play action passes and I think the game is slowing down for Trubisky.

I think Nagy absolutely deserves part of the blame for Bears losses in the fact that he waited too long to get to a more traditional play action game.

puckthefackers

Liked Posts:
Nagy has been forced to play different personnel due to injury and it is literally 100% Mitchell Trubisky’s fault that the initial starters all look way worse than their replacements.

Also, every drop that has happened is #10’s fault.

The false starts, delay of game penalties, the TE running into the back of the OL instead of opening holes for the RB, the complete and utter disarray of the O in general is definitely the QBs fault and coaches are absolved of all the unprepared sloppiness. Fuckin’ brilliant

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I posted this on like page 5 of some dumb ass thread, but am reposting because I am interested in what people think.

And no, the claim is not that Nagy is some kind of genius or some stupid shit. Just that Nagy is Nagy and he is gonna run his team through the QB. He is gon run his O the way he wants and is not gon change. And for now, that means forcing Trubs into the player Nagy needs him to be.

I contend the struggles this year come from Trubs failing to execute and Nagy refusing to adapt to shit QB play. All the other problems mostly been symptoms of that core dynamic.

I am neither praising nor criticizing this approach. Just saying what I think has been happening.

It IS unique in Bears history tho that a coach is actually trying to force a QB to develop rather than caving after half a season and going full turtle with the O.

I guess we will all see how it turns out.
Great! Run the team through the QB, but at least run it with things that the QB is actually good at. Why has Trubisky run more the past 3 weeks (being injured) than he ran to start the season BEFORE he got hurt?

Trubisky is way more confident when he can move around and threaten the defense with running the ball. It forces defenders to actually guess about what is happening instead of them knowing that Trubisky is going to stay in the pocket no matter what. Just that small amount of decision-making time can have a huge positive effect on Trubisky and the offense.

So tailoring an offense to a QB's skills is caving? I always thought that it was called good coaching. This allows a QB to slowly develop while still running out a worthwhile offense. After a few years of competitive football (think 2018), the QB hopefully starts going above and beyond his old offense because he has developed additional skills and that allows the offensive coordinator to tailor the offense to the old and new skills.

Doing it the Nagy way has a slight chance of developing a QB, but it will probably come at the price of Nagy losing his job before Trubisky has blossomed into a good QB. I guess the next coach can thank Nagy for developing Trubisky.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think that there is probably some truth to what you say.

It is clear that Nagy challenged the offense with way too much to start the year. It was not just 10 who was mind blown by it, James Daniels, the WRs, the coaches with all the substitution issues.

That means 1 of 2 things has happened,

1. It took 8 weeks for 10 and the rest of the offense to "GET IT". You see this in teaching sometimes where a student looks like they will never learn it for a couple of weeks then comes in and aces the test, it just took them time to master it.

2. Nagy has dialed back and comeback to stuff that 10 and the offense does well. I think there is evidence that this also happened.

I think it is probably a little of both. Mitch is starting to get it and Nagy is calling more of what he is good at and dialing it back a bit.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What I hope is happening,

1. This is the light bulb on moment for Mitch. He went through the "learning pit" and has come out the other side.

2. This is an offense we can win with, even if it is not 202. But better personnel would help to hide the QBs deficiencies that we saw earlier in the season.

3. My fear is that this is just more flashes.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Parkins and Spiegel were talking about this on the Score Wednesday and it is worth a listen and it was interesting to look back on the season week by week.

Week 1: Nagy gives 10 and the offense 202 and they crap down their leg.

Week 2: Over correction in Denver to the training wheels offense.

Week 3: Flashes against a bad Washington team.

Week 4: Hurt, not chance to build off the momentum of week 3 and took away his running for the next chunk of weeks.

That was as bad a start to the season as I think you could have planned for 10 and the offense.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
What I seen is terrible play calling and now has changed to what we can do. Nagy did not force Trubisky to step up. Nagy learned to work with the talent we have. He quit trying to fit square pegs into round holes. It's something Nagy should have figured out a lot sooner. Nagy is learning too.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think whether Nagy deserves blame largely depend on where the offense goes from here.

If the offense continues to be good and produce and Trubisky is the QB of the future for years then the 8 games was worth it.

If this is just a blip then the 8 games of crap wasn't worth it.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I called it early. Said you have to let Mitch fail in Sept/Oct to be a better player in Nov/Dec.

I'm the greatest.

Hail me.

tenor.gif

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I called it early. Said you have to let Mitch fail in Sept/Oct to be a better player in Nov/Dec.

I'm the greatest.

Hail me.

tenor.gif

I think what we have learned from all of this is going to be good in the long run.

Nagy gaining valuable experience and maybe being humbled a little bit.

Let Mitch be Mitch, even if it is not what we want or expected at this point.

Mitch's more accurate talent level. He needs more support than Watson and Mahomes.

Some personnel deficiencies on offense that were no exposed last season.

All of those lessons have value long term.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I think what we have learned from all of this is going to be good in the long run.

Nagy gaining valuable experience and maybe being humbled a little bit.

Let Mitch be Mitch, even if it is not what we want or expected at this point.

Mitch's more accurate talent level. He needs more support than Watson and Mahomes.

Some personnel deficiencies on offense that were no exposed last season.

All of those lessons have value long term.

Learning isn't this perfect upward sloping line. It has failures which end up being valuable in the long run. You make a good point that Nagy also went through this, but I've always said when things are at their worst the best lessons are learned. No denying that Mitch looked uncomfortable in the first 1/2 of the season, but if that helps him be a better player today, when you are angling for the playoffs, then it's something that was needed long term.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
The trajectory of this season was cast by Nagy with the way he decided to handle the offseason.

When you put your players in bubble wrap and piss away the offseason practicing gimmicks don't be surprised when it takes 12 fucking weeks for your offense to stop sucking dick.

Here's a fun exercise: Watch the all-22 for each week and chart down how many plays we waste running the same trap concepts that literally never work.

Ask yourself, what kind of stubborn asshole of a coach would continually call these when our players clearly can't execute them?

hyqaomR.gif

fzhtfam.gif

Maybe instead of constantly trying to be the smartest guy in the stadium with all this misdirection shit that doesn't fool anyone Nagy should just keep it simple and put a hat on a hat and let your RB do what he does best... :unsure:

iEjjYNC.gif

Like I've been saying all season. Nagy is his own worst enemy. He has nobody but himself to blame for pissing this season away. Take the play calling out of his hands and this team is leading the division.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Broc makes a good point. The TE trap plays need to be shredded. They are hard to watch.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nagy misjudged what the team was ready for offensively.

They won 12 games last season, bum slaying, and he won coach of the year, so I do not blame him for being a little arrogant. He tried to jam 202 on them when they had not mastered 101 and what we saw was an ugly and public learning curve.

I look at it like your kid rides a bike with training wheels on a quiet side street, so the next day you take the training wheels off and hit the big road. He is going to learn, but it is going to be ugly and hurt a lot.